Okay so update time!

Peter Tyson have done me a cracking deal for the following:

- Panasonic 65” GZ950
- The Denon 3500/Monitor Audio Bronze package excluding the sub

All in £3320!

So £2299 for the TV and £1021 for the AVR & Speakers.

Will be getting the sub from BK in September sometime.

Cables, Banana clips will be bought from Amazon.

Really pleased. All coming Friday, just have to wait until the house is ready. I’m not going to be able to sleep for weeks with excitement. :clap:

Roll on 13th of September!

Last edited:
Good choice of TV, I have the 65FZ802. Good result with the 3500 package. Enjoy.

You are in for a treat!

*cough* bk electronics monolith plus *cough* :rolleyes:

Good choice of TV, I have the 65FZ802. Good result with the 3500 package. Enjoy.

Thanks! Yeah after watching Vincent’s review on it I was sold. At the price point it’s at, absolute no brainer for me at least. Did initially worry about burn in but Vincent’s video on the subject and also RTINGS tests have put my mind at ease.

You are in for a treat!

*cough* bk electronics monolith plus *cough* :rolleyes:

So excited!!

Maybe maybe on the monolith ;)

You've done fantastically well to only go £21 over your initial £1000 budget, yet achieve significant upgrades on both the receiver and speakers.

Don't forget that Amazon Basics works just as well as any of the expensive alternatives, so try not to get drawn into spending more on that side of things than you have to.

I actually don't envy you having to choose a BK Sub as there's just so many in so many different finishes. I suppose available space will determine your final choice. Setting them up right can also be a bit tricky, it's tempting to have one run too loud, but that's what we're here for.

Looking forward to seeing your set up in pictorial form!:)

You've done fantastically well to only go £21 over your initial £1000 budget, yet achieve significant upgrades on both the receiver and speakers.

Don't forget that Amazon Basics works just as well as any of the expensive alternatives, so try not to get drawn into spending more on that side of things than you have to.

I actually don't envy you having to choose a BK Sub as there's just so many in so many different finishes. I suppose available space will determine your final choice. Setting them up right can also be a bit tricky, it's tempting to have one run too loud, but that's what we're here for.

Looking forward to seeing your set up in pictorial form!:)

Yes I’m very pleased! Some significant discounts in there from Peter Tyson.

Thankfully finish wise I think I’m already set on the “black ash” as I think it’s the closest to match the dark wood finish of the Monitor Audios.

Oh yes when it comes to setting all of this up you can be sure I will be coming back here. I’ve never ever done this before so I’m thankful to have such a nice community to fall back onto and learn from!

Just so I’ve got them in my Amazon save for later list... Do these look like the correct products I’ll need connecting up wise?

AmazonBasics Banana Plugs, 12 pairs https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MXJIEV9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dwxzDbMJWT5DS

AmazonBasics Subwoofer Cable - 2.44 meters https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D5H8G3W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ywxzDbTVXSA2D

QED Performance Micro Slimline White Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) Speaker Cable for HiFi and Home Cinema Systems (10 metres) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PQMLXN1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZwxzDb5F8WHK5

Obviously I don’t know what lengths I’ll need yet completely but just product wise. :)

If there’s anything else I’m forgetting please let me know!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Banana plugs: seems fine, though someone may suggest cheaper somewhere else.

Subwoofer cable: yes, no need to pay any more than that.

Speaker cable: £3.50 a metre is alright, but again, someone may suggest something else cheaper somewhere else. Best not to buy this until you've measured your room and the runs you'll need, obviously.

But it's a good reference point as the fundamentals are there, you just need to work on the price as you may get similar cheaper.

Banana plugs: seems fine, though someone may suggest cheaper somewhere else.

Subwoofer cable: yes, no need to pay any more than that.

Speaker cable: £3.50 a metre is alright, but again, someone may suggest something else cheaper somewhere else. Best not to buy this until you've measured your room and the runs you'll need, obviously.

But it's a good reference point as the fundamentals are there, you just need to work on the price as you may get similar cheaper.

Great!

This sounds like a stupid question but speaker cable wise I can by X amount closest to what I need and cut accordingly?

Not a stupid question!

It's always better to have too much speaker cable than too little. The longest runs will be to your Surrounds at the back of the room, the shortest to the Centre speaker, the Front L&R probably something in between.

If you're between lengths after measuring up, go for the next increment. Though, I've found over the years, when it's cut off the reel it doesn't tend to be bang on but slightly longer.

The banana plugs look fine, similar to the Sewells in design. Speaker cable is good as well, certainly no need to pay more. You forgot the magic words with Peter Tyson.....oh how about chucking in some speaker wire since I'm spending a lot of money with you. Always works with me at AudioT.

By the way, you haven't said what your content will be: disc player, gaming, cable box?

The banana plugs look fine, similar to the Sewells in design. Speaker cable is good as well, certainly no need to pay more. You forgot the magic words with Peter Tyson.....oh how about chucking in some speaker wire since I'm spending a lot of money with you. Always works with me at AudioT.

Good point: if you ask about free banana plugs and speaker cable, they usually say yes. There's no harm in enquiring.

Good point: if you ask about free banana plugs and speaker cable, they usually say yes. There's no harm in enquiring.
When I bought my Elicit-R from AudioT they would not budge on price. Every dealer in the country was quoting the same price to the penny. Now I'm a pretty good customer at my local AudioT, my last purchase being a Panny OLED with a Lehmann headphone amp before that.

Told that there was no movement on the Rega's price I put on my best 'poor me, OAP' look and asked about cable. OK was the answer so I got a 1m Chord Clearway interconnect and three terminated 2m lengths of Clearway speaker cable. If you don't ask you don't get and it's helped build up a good relationship between myself and the staff at AudioT and as a result they get the Lion's share of my money. Works both ways.

Oh man I totally forgot and I asked the guy at RS if they’d do that. The excitement got to me I guess. :rotfl:

By the way, you haven't said what your content will be: disc player, gaming, cable box?

Oh yes of course! Well what I’ve got in my head at the minute for the tv stand is:

- TIVO box/Sky Box (depending who I decide to go with)
- 4K BluRay player (any recommendations welcome)
- PS4 Pro
- Denon 3500

Been eying up this tv stand at Richer Sounds. Bit on the expensive side but I love the minimalistic look of it.

Frank Olsen INTELLIGENT 1500 (Gloss Grey)

Last edited:
Cable box: should come with a bundled HDMI cable, so no need to look elsewhere (Amazon Basics is a good alternative if it doesn't).

PS4 Pro: comes with a bundled High Speed HDMI cable.

4K player: what's your budget? I've got a Sony, but I understand Panasonic players are equally good. May/may not come with bundled High Speed HDMI cable, so Amazon Basics again.

I thought it was the Denon 3500 you were getting? You got a deal from Peter Tyson on the latest model?

TV stand: looks nice, but pricey. May be worth shopping around. Good investment as if you get it right first time, you'll never have to change it.

I have a Panasonic UHD player the 820 and it did not come with HDMI cable. Fantastic player though. It’s compared with the oppo 203

Cable box: should come with a bundled HDMI cable, so no need to look elsewhere (Amazon Basics is a good alternative if it doesn't).

PS4 Pro: comes with a bundled High Speed HDMI cable.

4K player: what's your budget? I've got a Sony, but I understand Panasonic players are equally good. May/may not come with bundled High Speed HDMI cable, so Amazon Basics again.

I thought it was the Denon 3500 you were getting? You got a deal from Peter Tyson on the latest model?

TV stand: looks nice, but pricey. May be worth shopping around. Good investment as if you get it right first time, you'll never have to change it.

Oops my mistake! Yes 3500 definitely :laugh:

Uhm budget wise I’m open to anything up to probably the 300 pound mark unless there’s something seriously good just above that mark. I don’t think the wife will let me get away with anything more expensive than that right now and to be fair neither will my wallet o_O

In regards to the tv stand, yeah I’m trying there’s just not very much I’m liking. I love a minimalistic sleek looking stand. And I like the idea of hiding all the kit away from prying hands... :)

Both Sony and Panasonic sell 4K players at that price, I suppose it depends on what features you want.

Picture-wise, I doubt if there's a huge difference. There's been plenty of reviews of both brands on this site, do a search.

Both Sony and Panasonic sell 4K players at that price, I suppose it depends on what features you want.

Picture-wise, I doubt if there's a huge difference. There's been plenty of reviews of both brands on this site, do a search.

Just been looking now both the Sony’s and Panasonic’s get great reviews. Think I’ll probably go with the Panasonic 820 just to match the TV! Haha.

The main difference with the current crop of 4K players is their ability to spin SACDs. Very important to me but non sensical to a lot of people who will never own an SACD. Panasonics don't have that ability and are producing some very good players at all budgets.

Just been looking now both the Sony’s and Panasonic’s get great reviews. Think I’ll probably go with the Panasonic 820 just to match the TV! Haha.
It also plays Dolby vision so good call!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom