AVR300 Sub Test Tone

B3anstar

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

I picked up an avr300 this weekend and am still fiddling with the setup.

Weird thing is that on the setups test tones i get an airy sound and not
pink noise like the other 6 speakers. The avr300 is sending out sub
as you can clearly hear it in movies and the DVE discs crossover test
goes all the way into the sub.

Any ideas?

I have an AVR200 and borrowed an AVR300 last weekend and experience the same as you but on both.

You mean from the sub?
I don't believe the AVR300 addresses the sub, Denon AVR3805 does though.
Barend

Barend said:
You mean from the sub?
I don't believe the AVR300 addresses the sub, Denon AVR3805 does though.
Barend

Yes the sub. Why the heck do Arcam show it in the test tone setup screenifit cannot be tested this way?

Icarus said:
Yes the sub. Why the heck do Arcam show it in the test tone setup screenifit cannot be tested this way?
Oh sorry, I just looked at the tech details and concluded it wouldn't... :zonked:
Did you activate the sub before testing?
And set the crossover frequency?
My AVR-3805 does test, but does not change the set crossover.
You should hear a satisfying deep rumble or else no bass comes out (or in).
Barend

As an alternative you could use the Avia DVD test tones. It produces one for Sub at a level you can use to set trim with a SPL.

However, I find that with this approach I end up backing sub trim off a bit (3-6db) because the sub seems too loud with actual audio content. But I tend to use test tones only as a starting point, and fine tune afterwards using movie DVDs.

I do get sub...on movies, on the thx optimizer crossover and on dve disc. Just the setup menu produces a kind of static sound no rumble whatsoever. definately not the crossover though.

Seems strange to me too that they should include it in the setup menu if it can't be used. Did this post as wondered if i missed something. Guess not.

It's the same on my AVR300. I used LOTR and Master and Commander to trim to taste after initial setup with Avia and a SPL.

I just never thought to complain, but I agree if it's there it should be useful.

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback on the subwoofer test tone. We have discovered that a configuration flag is set incorrectly in the software causing the tone to be incorrect. This has now been corrected and will be available in the next release of the software. This may take a while to actually come out as it has to be beta tested before release.

Thanks again for the feedback and my apolagies that this slipped through in the first place.

Best Regards,
Andrew

The AVR200 works in a different way and was never intended to have a subwoofer test tone.

Regards,
Andrew

ANDY_DUTTON said:
The AVR200 works in a different way and was never intended to have a subwoofer test tone.

Regards,
Andrew
It still has the option in the setup screen though, probably in the manual too.

ANDY_DUTTON said:
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback on the subwoofer test tone. We have discovered that a configuration flag is set incorrectly in the software causing the tone to be incorrect. This has now been corrected and will be available in the next release of the software. This may take a while to actually come out as it has to be beta tested before release.

Thanks again for the feedback and my apolagies that this slipped through in the first place.

Best Regards,
Andrew

Hi Andy,

As a registered owner of my AVR300, will I automatically receive notification from Arcam that the new s/w has been released ?

If you do notify registered owners we can at least then go back to our dealers and get the update installed.

I've got to ask this, as i'm a registreed owner of my DVD 88 Plus and only ever find out about new s/w releases by reading these forums! So what benefits are Arcam giving me for registering???

Thanks in advance.

nikbedwell said:
Hi Andy,

As a registered owner of my AVR300, will I automatically receive notification from Arcam that the new s/w has been released ?

If you do notify registered owners we can at least then go back to our dealers and get the update installed.

I've got to ask this, as i'm a registreed owner of my DVD 88 Plus and only ever find out about new s/w releases by reading these forums! So what benefits are Arcam giving me for registering???

Thanks in advance.

I still don't understand why it can't be left up to the end user to install an update himself or have it done for a sum of money by some dealer, some of which have never heard of the term RS232 anyway.
Another example of factory control?
I resent that, I feel everybody should be able to buy where they choose and do as THEY please with aftersales upgrades: now somebody will probably come up with warranty and someone maybe doing something "wrong" with the software, but IMO that merely points to bad software...
These restrictions are probably not allowed inside the EU too...
Surely, a PC is a much more complicated piece of equipment, and it's common practice there to do it yourself...
Well, I'm probably standing on many toes here, but the bottom line here is of course to let Arcam themselves, the dealers and the foreign agents make more money.
This sort of practice never leads to more success- only quality and offering things the competition don't offer does te trick.
Arcam is great stuff but it's expensive enough as it is.

Barend

Barend said:
I still don't understand why it can't be left up to the end user to install an update himself ...

Well at least for us US customers, the SW updates are user installable. The US distributor (Audiophile Systems) has already provided 2 control SW and 1 DSP SW updates on their website, along with the programmer SW and instructions for updating. I have the necessary null-modem cable and have updated my software several times. It's not hard to do if you pay attention following instructions.

Dean

Barend said:
I still don't understand why it can't be left up to the end user to install an update himself or have it done for a sum of money by some dealer, some of which have never heard of the term RS232 anyway.
Another example of factory control?
I resent that, I feel everybody should be able to buy where they choose and do as THEY please with aftersales upgrades: now somebody will probably come up with warranty and someone maybe doing something "wrong" with the software, but IMO that merely points to bad software...
These restrictions are probably not allowed inside the EU too...
Surely, a PC is a much more complicated piece of equipment, and it's common practice there to do it yourself...
Well, I'm probably standing on many toes here, but the bottom line here is of course to let Arcam themselves, the dealers and the foreign agents make more money.
This sort of practice never leads to more success- only quality and offering things the competition don't offer does te trick.
Arcam is great stuff but it's expensive enough as it is.

Barend

The user can install the software himself, all he has to do is ask the dealer to ask Arcam to send teh update disk directly to the customer. You get it in about 2 days. I was initially concerned by this process but I'm now convinced taht it works very well in practise. The benefit of having the dealer install it for those that are worried the may "cock it up" is there and the dealer gets to see the end result, and for the more technical minded they can do it themseleves...........everybody wins.

Barend I must say that although everyone is entitled to their own opinion you seem very agressive towards Arcam's practice's (I've just read through your other posts), yet yo say your an Arcam owner!!!! Although I own a lot of Arcam kit I would hope that I'm realistic enough not to blindly follow them when they do wrong, yours seem strangely ill balanced.......just my opinion of course

Regards
John

dwette said:
Well at least for us US customers, the SW updates are user installable. The US distributor (Audiophile Systems) has already provided 2 control SW and 1 DSP SW updates on their website, along with the programmer SW and instructions for updating. I have the necessary null-modem cable and have updated my software several times. It's not hard to do if you pay attention following instructions.

Dean

Thanks Dean,
I suppose this will also work on Euro models.
Barend

Barend said:
Thanks Dean,
I suppose this will also work on Euro models.
Barend

AFAIK, but you should check with someone from Arcam to be sure. Audiophile Systems qualifies their download page to say it's only been tested with US models.

However, I believe the only difference between US and non-US models is the default out-of-box settings for Power Voltage and AM Step. Otherwise, I think they're the same, meaning the control software is identical.

But I'm not a dealer nor an Arcam employee, so take my statements with a grain of salt.

Are we saying the AVR300 has already had 2 s/w upgrades made available?

How do I tell if the AVR300 i've had for 2 weeks has these upgrades?

Many thanks in advance.

sticker said:
The user can install the software himself, all he has to do is ask the dealer to ask Arcam to send teh update disk directly to the customer. You get it in about 2 days. I was initially concerned by this process but I'm now convinced taht it works very well in practise. The benefit of having the dealer install it for those that are worried the may "cock it up" is there and the dealer gets to see the end result, and for the more technical minded they can do it themseleves...........everybody wins.

Barend I must say that although everyone is entitled to their own opinion you seem very agressive towards Arcam's practice's (I've just read through your other posts), yet yo say your an Arcam owner!!!! Although I own a lot of Arcam kit I would hope that I'm realistic enough not to blindly follow them when they do wrong, yours seem strangely ill balanced.......just my opinion of course

Regards
John

Can't stand manufacturers with rigid sales restrictions. As soon as some retailer tells me "We are not allowed to sell abroad" I go for my shotgun.
They're not even allowed to restrict (EU regulations!).
I'll revise my opinion as soon as a UK seller reacts offering to sell abroad...
This has nothing to do with kit quality.
Also, I don't like to be forced to go to a certain group of retailers: KEF for instance sells its Reference series only through selected outlets. I'm sure they give a nice sounding reason, but what it's really about is CONTROL.
I feel only I should control where to spend my money...
Barend

nikbedwell said:
Are we saying the AVR300 has already had 2 s/w upgrades made available?

How do I tell if the AVR300 i've had for 2 weeks has these upgrades?

Many thanks in advance.

Yes, 2.76 and 2.77. You'll want at least 2.76 if you use a learning remote since it fixes a toggle bit problem. It also fixes a nasty problem where mute can give you a rude awakening if all 8 speakers trims are set to positive values.

With the AVR300 on, push the DVD and SAT buttons simultaneously on the front panel. The display will indicate the current software version.

I don't know how to find the DSP version.

Dean

dwette said:
Yes, 2.76 and 2.77. You'll want at least 2.76 if you use a learning remote since it fixes a toggle bit problem. It also fixes a nasty problem where mute can give you a rude awakening if all 8 speakers trims are set to positive values.

With the AVR300 on, push the DVD and SAT buttons simultaneously on the front panel. The display will indicate the current software version.

I don't know how to find the DSP version.

Dean

I have V2.74, so will speak to my dealer next week to get the updgrade - I have the Pronto RU950 to setup so will definately need the updates by the look of it.

Thanks for your help so far :)

nikbedwell said:
I have V2.74, so will speak to my dealer next week to get the updgrade - I have the Pronto RU950 to setup so will definately need the updates by the look of it.

Thanks for your help so far :)

I am mistaken. It is actually 2.74 that has the IR toggle bit fix, so you don't need the update to support learning to your Pronto.

Dean

I upgraded my UK AVR300 with 2.77 SW. It all worked fine. I was annoyed that my amp was sold to me by an Arcam dealer with version 2.69 only a month ago. Shouldn't dealers update the SW before handing over the amp!

One other thing, when updating the DSP the amp cannot be in direct mode as the update won't work. Makes sense really - no mention of it in any instructions I've seen...

GarethL said:
I upgraded my UK AVR300 with 2.77 SW. It all worked fine. I was annoyed that my amp was sold to me by an Arcam dealer with version 2.69 only a month ago. Shouldn't dealers update the SW before handing over the amp!

One other thing, when updating the DSP the amp cannot be in direct mode as the update won't work. Makes sense really - no mention of it in any instructions I've seen...

When you bought your AVR, version 2.69 probably was the current version. Mine came with 2.67 originally. The newer versions have been released since then.

My dealer is now making sure new AVRs have the latest software, but when they sold mine there weren't any updates available yet.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom