AVR300 Test Tone Settings & SPL's

H

Hoggers

Hello to one and all...

Two questions in regards to setting the sound level using the internal test tones.

1. I am using a PB10 for the sub and in the manual it states that the you should 'Set the sub output to no higher than -5Db'. I am assuming that this is the level that can be set at Step 5 (Level Settings - Test Tone Cycle) and it would involve one setting the output to -5db on the scale.

2.In regards to SPL meters (sorry if this is the wrong place for this). When calibrating the sound I am setting the C and Slow and then turning the dial to 70. Now... if my standing is correct when the needle hovers around the 0Db mark then the level output from the speakers is approx 70Db.

I am also guessing that the idea is to ensure that all speakers are calibrated to output approx 70Db or to ensure that the needle hovers around the 0Db for all speakers tested.

:confused:

Thanks in advance for any advice and apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Cheers,

Alastair :)

on 2: actually you should calibrate @75dB but that can only be done by using a calibration DVD.

in case your using the internal testtone, set your left front speaker to 0 (in the level menu) and calibrate all your other speakers to that FL level.
Your assumptions are right. C and slow and when set on 70, the 0 (zero) is 70dB
So, whatever dB it shows on your FL speaker, set your other speakers to that level as well

You're a star :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice....now I just need to wait till tomorrow evening to try it out.

Thanks,

Alastair

In addition to getting your speaker levels correct (try and get all the speakers as close as possible to 75dB, a little out can make a big difference) I would also suggest that you measure your speaker distances carefully and put those in too.

I found that the AVR250 is very accurate in the way it applies the speaker levels and distances so had to change the way I measured the speaker distances slightly, this may just be because my room is quite small. What I am about to describe may not be applicable to everyone, but certainly something worth experimenting with if you have the time. Here is what I found...

I originally took the measurements from the speakers to ear level at the main listening position, which is the centre crease of the our two seater sofa. Both my wife and I noticed that with this setup if you were sat in the left seat there was a very noticable left speaker bias, and when sat the the right seat there was an even more noticeable right speaker bias. When I sat on the sofa crease, I got a perfect stereo balance. Adjusting the balance it was possible to get one seating position balanced but the other would have a big bias to the speaker it was nearest.

I have now re-measured, but this time all the left side speakers are measured to the back of the right seating position and all the right sided speakers are measured to the back of the left seating position. The has resulted in a wider sound stage and balanced the stereo for both seating positions. By tweaking the balance just a touch to the left I have now got the central focus perfectly matched to where the plasma screen is mounted on the wall in front of us for both seats.

Stereo music is just amazing now, surround sound is totally enveloping and I am feeling a lot of love for Arcam :)

Thanks for all the advice guys and certianly some food for thought. :)

Just one (probably silly question) but how do you read off 75Db on the SPL meter.

If the setting is set to 70 and the needle is in the middle (ie: 0Db) then I know the level is 70Db. Following this logic I am guessing that 75Db is going to be when the neddle is hovering around the +5Dbmark or alternatively Set at 80Db and allow the neddle to hover around the -5Db mark.

I am keen to get the settings as accurate as possible (without going mad in the process) and just want to make sure that I understand the process before embarking on a series of test tones from the speakers. :confused:

I should alos mention that I am using the internal test tones and as suggested will be setting the FL speaker to 0Db, taking a reading and then setting the other speakers to match.

As Always, thanks for the help.

Alastair

put it on 70dB and watch the level to go up to 75. This is more accurate then using the 80dB scale

Hoogers, I have the same setup as you currently... regarding the AVR300 and PB10. I don't like the surrounds to be as loud as the front speakers, so I set them to -2. My center channel is +1 and sub is +1. Keep your gain on the sub around 50% (depending on your room size, and taste for bass) This is all personal preference and how I have my set up right now.

Hi Addiwei,

Agree with you re the surrounds. There is nothing more annoying than being swamped by sound from the rear and I prefer to have a more subtle effect.

The settings you are using are pretty much what I had set up and are pretty much in line with 75db using the SPL.

By the way how do you find the PB10. I am really enjoying mine and not sure if it the way I have it setup but I find the bass very relaxed and unhurried and it belnds perfectly with the speakers giving a very well balanced sound.

:thumbsup:

Anyway, thanks for the help,

Alastair

Hi Alastair, Great! I'm glad you are enjoying the PB10. Everyone has different taste in their bass. I am going to be returning my PB10 (maybe it's defective?) I think i sent you a private message. For my particular room, and music tastes, the ASW675 sounded better to me.

Hello again..

Completely off the topic I know but I have an annoying hum that comes from the centre speaker placed on top of the TV.

If I turn the TV off hum goes away.. so obviously interference from the TV.

Do you know if there is any sort of product that will insulate the speaker from the TV (maybe a thick insultation sheet or something similar).

Other option is to raise the speaker above the TV but I have had a hard enough time getting the tv placement past the decision maker so any suggestions other than raising the speaker (this will be last resort) would be great. I am sure there are products out there just not able to see anything obvious.

Cheers,

Alastair

hmm...what kind of TV is it? and try moving the speaker cable leading the center around, and see if that affects the hum. It's the TV affecting the speaker (which should be shielded anyways) so try lifting the speaker high off the TV, and see if that gets rid of or changes the hum.

I have a Samsung DLP, and thankfully haven't noticed any interference.

Very odd...have tried all the above and the hum only occurs when the speaker is placed directly on top of or near the top of the TV.

No hum is present if you hold the speaker to the side of the TV.

I need to lift the speaker a good 12" off the TV to almost stop the hum and as soon as I move the speaker away from the top of the TV (ie: to either side) the hum stops. :confused:

Not sure if you know the Kef but it consists of 3 speakers in the one unit and the hum is only coming from the middle speaker and only occurs when the cables are connected... I tried changing cables to see if they were at fault but got the same hum.

I dont think it does any harm and it can only be heard by putting your ear near to the speaker.

The TV is a 4 year old Sony.

I will see if I can borrow the same speaker from the shop on thursday to see if it is a problem with the speaker I have.

Very puzzling

Alastair

hmm..i don't know,, maybe it's the cable. ??

Don't forget to biamp your front L+R speakers, and listen to music in Neo Music mode...the sound is a gift from god... I have heard KEF speakers before, just don't remember the model. They sound good....I have the ELACs FS 207.2. No point in describing how they sound...ok fine, you twisted my arm...they sound good... :)

Hello again..

Have found out what the cause of the problem is .

I emailed Kef this morning to see if they had come across similar issue and their reply was:

"This humming won't damage anything, but can be annoying.

The hum is caused by the crossover on the iQ6C picking up an induced
voltage from the TV in its crossover inductors.
We can fit shielded inductors to your crossover if you send the speaker in
to us.

It only seems to be a problem with Sony TV's as they use strong tubes and
low profile cabinets."

Am sending the centre in for repair tomorrow so all going well should have it back next week.
:thumbsup:

that's good to hear. seems kind of strange that they didn't install the shields to begin with..good luck.

Thanks.. will let you know how it goes.

Looking forward to getting it back as the system looks a bit empty with it gone. :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom