Question Awful sound Windows 10

Elwood Blues

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys , I have a Asus Xonar Essence STX in the main pc and a Creative X-FI for the laptop. Sound from both was bang on until a couple of weeks ago but now both sound really tinny. Reinstalled Windows on both thinking it may fix it but , the sound remains really bad. Any ideas as pulling my hair out here.

Sounds ok if I use the sound jacks on either device though.

Try updating the drivers from the actual company's....

Windows had probably used it's own driver but because of latest update (2004) it might have knackered the Windows driver support you did have before.

Go to device manager and right click on the sound device and choose update driver...

Hopefully! That will fix it.

Ice

Windows says latest driver installed. Must be something conflicting as when i use the headphone jack on the laptop it sounds great, plug in the Creative and sounds really bad.

Unfortunately the driver support for both of those cards is no longer up to date and MS changing things can break/bug functionality.

The last X-Fi driver was in 2015, also I think the last Asus driver was in 2015 too, you could try the Uni Xonar package for the Asus instead it's based of a 2016 driver and they have notes on their page for the latest may 2020 windows update.

Not sure what else to try, could ask over here too.

The last X-Fi driver was in 2015, also I think the last Asus driver was in 2015 too, you could try the Uni Xonar package for the Asus instead it's based of a 2016 driver and they have notes on their page for the latest may 2020 windows update.

Laptop and references to plugging in the X-fi unit. He's not talking about the X-fi range of PCI-E cards but most likely a USB unit that'll be using the standard windows USB Audio driver and custom software. The software for a model like the X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro was last updated eight months ago.

Or he may be talking about the latest Super X-Fi models and just dropped the first part of the name,

Sounds ok if I use the sound jacks on either device though.

As opposed to what? The monitor speakers on the desktop and the built in speakers on the laptop?

Neither of those will be using the audio devices provided by the sound cards, the monitor will be using your graphics card (assuming the sound is transmitted over DP or HDMI) and the built in speakers on the laptop will be using the built in audio chip, not a external X-fi box.

Also, are you playing audio from multiple different applications or just one or one type of application?

Sorry should have stated before , when using my headphones Bose QC25

Have been investigating....only started using the new headphones after my Audio Technica died. Do you think it is the Bose that is the issue?

Sorry should have stated before , when using my headphones Bose QC25

Looking up that model it appears to only offer an analogue audio jack, but you said it "sounds ok if I use the sound jacks on either device ".

Are you saying that it's having problems when connected to your X-fi box but works fine when connected to the laptop's internal sound card? The 3.5mm port on the laptop rather than on the X-fi.

Or the Xonar vs. motherboard ports on the desktop.

Not tried it in the pc but on the laptop jack sounds fine, if i connect the X -FI and plug the headphoes in it sounds tinny. Thinking the Bose not being full analog is the problem?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom