B&W formation Bar/Bass/Flex

bromberg

Established Member
Reaction score
Does avforums plan to review this in a 5.1 setup, now the flex has arrived?

Im considering this setup or a ambeo.
Anyone who have had the opportunity to hear the formation bar/Bass/flex?

Discovered this bar last night and thought it might be an interesting option... until I noticed it had no HDMI and was £999.

Maybe it sounds amazing but just seems a bit odd for the price.

I agree, at this price i should have hdmi. Mainly just for hdmi cec.
Dont need earc or atmos, but would like to use my tv Remote AND apple tv Remote.
Dont know if formation bar supports more tysk one Remote.
A Big thumps up in this bar is it should be able to decode a dts signal Dolby digital.
That good to my daily use

That was another thing I checked when I was going through the technical specifications of the soundbar. There's a mention of "Dolby Digital" but none whatsoever of DTS, which I suspect they would have included in there if it decoded it? Annoyingly this bar is exactly the same width as the fireplace shelf I am looking to set a soundbar on, so it would have been perfect from a cosmetic point of view. :(

Denon have a soundbar coming out at the end of September (DHT-S716H) with four HDMI inputs but without eArc and Atmos. Not sure what their reputation is like for sound quality but may be worth a look at that price point (£799)? I've been looking at it myself but would need to do more research and possibly read a review before taking the plunge.

I’ve been in contact with the retailer in Denmark, and they says i will decode at dts signal to Dolby.
For me, thats good enough. In a dedicated setup id like dts native. But in a soundbar setup - not so much

I too am looking at this setup for a “5.1” Sound System in a spare room in my house. I think for what it is it will be a good system. Is it going to compare to a Rotel & B&W 800 Series System… No!

My Dealer told me that the Formation Firmware is really good. I think he used the term Rock Solid. It switches really well between Dedicated Source Components and Smart TV Apps. Not sure how the Firmware makes a difference as I personally feel that the TV’s Ability to route audio will make or break this.

He also told me that B&W opted for the Toslink connection due to stability. I guess they feel that there is less chance of connection issues if they stick with a Optical Connection. I don’t use HDMI Connections for Audio so I can’t comment on Audio Issues if any with an HDMI Connection. So that may just be a load of bull.

I think that for a Sound Bar System this will be a great 5.1 System… Pricey yes… Twice as much as a Sonos 5.1!

One drawback I can see for myself at least is that B&W does not seem to have a Speaker Stand for the Formation Flex Series. Duo Yes… Flex No. That really sucks if your are wanting a 5.1 setup!

I too am looking at this setup for a “5.1” Sound System in a spare room in my house. I think for what it is it will be a good system. Is it going to compare to a Rotel & B&W 800 Series System… No!

My Dealer told me that the Formation Firmware is really good. I think he used the term Rock Solid. It switches really well between Dedicated Source Components and Smart TV Apps. Not sure how the Firmware makes a difference as I personally feel that the TV’s Ability to route audio will make or break this.

He also told me that B&W opted for the Toslink connection due to stability. I guess they feel that there is less chance of connection issues if they stick with a Optical Connection. I don’t use HDMI Connections for Audio so I can’t comment on Audio Issues if any with an HDMI Connection. So that may just be a load of bull.

I think that for a Sound Bar System this will be a great 5.1 System… Pricey yes… Twice as much as a Sonos 5.1!

One drawback I can see for myself at least is that B&W does not seem to have a Speaker Stand for the Formation Flex Series. Duo Yes… Flex No. That really sucks if your are wanting a 5.1 setup!

b&w has confirmed s wallmount and floorstand for flex.
so it shouldnt hold you back:)

That's awesome news Bromberg!!

Did you pull the trigger on a complete Formation 5.1 system or any of the pieces yet? Or did you find something else you liked better?

Thanks

That's awesome news Bromberg!!

Did you pull the trigger on a complete Formation 5.1 system or any of the pieces yet? Or did you find something else you liked better?

Thanks

I went with a full bluesound setup instead. I couldnt justify that price and still no hdmi cec.
its a nice set, but i really like that bluesound gives me opportunity for a 3 part sub (went with 2xasw610).
Its a more fullsized setup to me, but not as aestetic satisfying:).

Awesome Bromberg!

My B&W Dealer also carries BlueSound too. Currious did you go with the Pulse Soundbar or Powernode (HDMI) with your own speakers? Just wondering since you said you are using 2 ASW610's?

Awesome Bromberg!

My B&W Dealer also carries BlueSound too. Currious did you go with the Pulse Soundbar or Powernode (HDMI) with your own speakers? Just wondering since you said you are using 2 ASW610's?

I bought Pulse soundbar2i and a pair of flex2i as rears. To me its a day and night experience to be able to have a sub in each corner.
I still like a soundbars footprint and this one actually sound pretty good for music. Sure - It doesn't have the bells and whistles as samsung, Yamaha, but the sound I makes is just so much more full-bodied and musical.
I like the easyness of Sonos ex, but the sub isn't good enough.

And this thing handles Flac. I know its just a soundbar, but still the sound is more open and more important I can now use all my Flac rips. Sonos doesn't allow me to.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom