Back to the Future 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
O no! Why have they released these with cardboard gatefold sleeving? This is a big pet hate of mine & puts me right off buying these classics straight away. Great review & can't wait to see what they look & sound like but I will wait until the package changes which I know could be some time....

O no! Why have they released these with cardboard gatefold sleeving? This is a big pet hate of mine & puts me right off buying these classics straight away. Great review & can't wait to see what they look & sound like but I will wait until the package changes which I know could be some time....

Funny thing is that in the US the set has been released in cardboard sleeve packaging which has upset some due to its habit of scratching discs so they are actually envious of out digipack set for holding the discs in a manner that won’t damage them.

Received my set of Friday and immediately tried out the clock tower sequence and oh boy was I in heaven, watched the film in full last night and after having to put up with the disappointing Blu-Ray for the last decade it’s about time this film received a worthwhile upgrade, it’s not up there with Jaws but it’s certainly the best it has ever looked and with the movie being up there in my top 5 films of all time I only hope Paramount don’t let me down with the Indy set next year.

I always liked this trilogy but ... I would never rate this a 10 as a movie. Really, a scoring of 10 for the movie? I don’t get this type of scoring at all. What I’m missing from the review is to see if it’s a worthwhile upgrade from the bluray edition?

I always liked this trilogy but ... I would never rate this a 10 as a movie. Really, a scoring of 10 for the movie? I don’t get this type of scoring at all. What I’m missing from the review is to see if it’s a worthwhile upgrade from the bluray edition?

Where you rate a film is purely subjective and speaking for me personally I would rate it a 10 as I think everything about it is nigh on perfect.

As for being a worthwhile upgrade over the decade old DNR scrubbed, EE baked over blown Blu-Ray that is a big affirmative.

Thanks Cas. I also rate the movie as 10. I don’t think it’s personally worth the price tag however and was really hoping for a Jaws type reaction to the movie. However I’m being treated to it so that’s a big o hell yes! I just hope my favourite trilogy of all time, The Lord Of The Rings lives up to its £99 steel book price tag! 😁

What you may vote as a 10 for a movie may not be what I’d vote as a 10. It’s the reviewers opinion. I rate this as a 10 all day long.
As for if it’s an upgrade , the review clearly says it is and I concur. Outstanding, just don’t expect Pacific Rim type picture

Thanks for the review Cas

The first film certainly gets a 10 from me too. Of course it's a personal vote, but one I happen to agree with.

Ever since it's Blu Ray debut, BTTF has had its problems and criticisms. Not much can be done about any of them and I think with the Blu Rays, more was done to try and keep a consistent PQ across the three films.

I found the make up the 2nd movie to be hugely distracting (and some in the first), so in 4K this will be problematic. Looking forward to the 3rd film as this has previously looked by far the best. Oh it's 1-3-2 in order of preference BTW.

But the first film is utterly likeable and the casting is spot on. The what Michael and Christopher bring to the whole trilogy is just perfect. Thank God they realised Stoltz was the wrong guy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Review Cas. We recently watched the lot on Prime, & we'd forgotten (And quickly re-discovered) what fun this Movie is! Will pop the 4K on the rental list.

Are you kidding? Back to the Future is a perfect film, with a script like a Swiss clock. It's the definition of a 10/10.

I think nostalgia plays a big part in how we rate these classics. I didn't watch this until I was older, and while I enjoyed it and it was very likeable and good fun, I wouldn't consider it a 10/10 masterpiece.

Thanks Cas, looking forward to getting this tomorrow, gives me something to watch on my final week off after neck surgery......

BTTF was voted best Sci-Fi film of all time in the biggest movie poll ever done, beating the likes of Star Wars, Blade Runner, Terminator and the matrix is the process.

I don’t agree with this, but I’d give it a 10 for sheer originality, you’ve got to bear in mind this film was released 35 years ago.

I think nostalgia plays a big part in how we rate these classics. I didn't watch this until I was older, and while I enjoyed it and it was very likeable and good fun, I wouldn't consider it a 10/10 masterpiece.

Dunno about that. A lot of films I liked as a kid I couldn't watch now because they are not good films.

Back to the Future has absolutely stood the test of "time". :)

Great review. Thanks!! Looking forward to getting my copy tomorrow. The first movie is definitely a 10\10 and watch it at least twice a year. Pure fun. Pure Perfection.

My order of favourite is 2,1,3. It’s that line in number 2 ‘since when did you become the physical type’ 😂

The movie is an easy 10, it's quite simply one of the greatest movies ever made. It's essentially perfect. The pacing is masterful, there isn't a wasted second in this thing, and the casting too, is perfection. Could anyone else have played these roles? It's hard to imagine, and Zemeckis was clearly right to fire Stoltz. The score is wonderful as well, and of course it looks sublime too with superb costume and period detailing.

Even if any of that was less than perfect, the core concept - what if you could meet your parents when they were kids - is such a work of utter genius that it would still be a 10. Personally, I'd put it in my top 3 movies of all time, and when I watched this a couple of nights ago (iTunes 4K Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos version) I loved every second of it all over again and the two hours was over in the blink of an eye.

The sequels, to be frank, are a crushing disappointment. It's nice to spend time with Marty and the Doc again, but the plotting, especially in the second one is such a terrible mess. What's the concept in part 2? Marty has a son who inexplicably looks identical to him (as does his daughter?!) so he has to take his place to prevent him getting into trouble. Then old biff, who has turned evil again is able to work out how to use the delorean to go back in time to give his younger self a book which he's randomly seen Marty dispose of so he can become rich and destroy Hill Valley. And there's no Crispin Glover, who was such a core part of the original. It's a mess. And Zemeckis' bizarre move of using the core cast to play their relatives is just so strange and baffling. It makes no sense, and it makes the sequels even weaker.

The third one at least stands on its own a little more and doesn't rely so heavily on repeating sequences from the first, but it's still pointless. The original ended so perfectly it really, really didn't need any sequels. Once I've watched the third in 4K I think I'll put the sequels to bed forever and never revisit them again. They're just bad movies, which is such a shame after the original was so utterly perfect in every way.

Thanks Cas, looking forward to getting this tomorrow, gives me something to watch on my final week off after neck surgery......

BTTF was voted best Sci-Fi film of all time in the biggest movie poll ever done, beating the likes of Star Wars, Blade Runner, Terminator and the matrix is the process.

I don’t agree with this, but I’d give it a 10 for sheer originality, you’ve got to bear in mind this film was released 35 years ago.

BTTF isn't a sci-fi film. The time travelling aspect is purely a side effect of the core idea of meeting your parents when they were kids. It's actually rather hard to put it into any one genre as it's so incredibly original.

The movie is an easy 10, it's quite simply one of the greatest movies ever made. It's essentially perfect. The pacing is masterful, there isn't a wasted second in this thing, and the casting too, is perfection. Could anyone else have played these roles? It's hard to imagine, and Zemeckis was clearly right to fire Stoltz. The score is wonderful as well, and of course it looks sublime too with superb costume and period detailing.

Even if any of that was less than perfect, the core concept - what if you could meet your parents when they were kids - is such a work of utter genius that it would still be a 10. Personally, I'd put it in my top 3 movies of all time, and when I watched this a couple of nights ago (iTunes 4K Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos version) I loved every second of it all over again and the two hours was over in the blink of an eye.

The sequels, to be frank, are a crushing disappointment. It's nice to spend time with Marty and the Doc again, but the plotting, especially in the second one is such a terrible mess. What's the concept in part 2? Marty has a son who inexplicably looks identical to him (as does his daughter?!) so he has to take his place to prevent him getting into trouble. Then old biff, who has turned evil again is able to work out how to use the delorean to go back in time to give his younger self a book which randomly seen Marty dispose of. And there's no Crispin Glover, who was such a core part of the original. It's a mess. And Zemeckis' bizarre move of using the core cast to play their relatives is just so strange and baffling. It makes no sense, and it makes the sequels even weaker.

The third one at least stands on its own a little more and doesn't rely so heavily on repeating sequences from the first, but it's still pointless. The original ended so perfectly it really, really didn't need any sequels. Once I've watched the third in 4K I think I'll put the sequels to bed forever and never revisit them again. They're just bad movies, which is such a shame after the original was so utterly perfect in every way.
Harsh but not totally unfair. I think 2 is a mess also but it's carried by the Michael and Christopher, but it is a mess and no Crispin is partly his own fault. I love part 3 as it was Doc's film for a change whereas it's always been Marty's.

But BTTF is ripe for onions and discussions.

Still love 2 😎

These - and as I can see the 10 logic for the first anyway - as with quite a few classic films - for me personally I've just seen too many times now and would get a bit bored and restless watching it - probably would watch bits as I multi-tasked - (I can't even face putting the original Star Wars on now despite loving it as a child - and I'm a Star Wars fan) - oddly though with "darker" films eg The Godfather or Jaws or Alien say I can still rewatch and find new things in them

It'll be nice to get this sat on the shelf, I cant wait for the Indy Trilogy on 4K UHD now...... Did someone just say there was a Fourth movie?? You'll be telling me there's a Fourth Jaws movie next.

The sequels, to be frank, are a crushing disappointment. It's nice to spend time with Marty and the Doc again, but the plotting, especially in the second one is such a terrible mess. What's the concept in part 2? Marty has a son who inexplicably looks identical to him (as does his daughter?!) so he has to take his place to prevent him getting into trouble. Then old biff, who has turned evil again is able to work out how to use the delorean to go back in time to give his younger self a book which he's randomly seen Marty dispose of so he can become rich and destroy Hill Valley. And there's no Crispin Glover, who was such a core part of the original. It's a mess. And Zemeckis' bizarre move of using the core cast to play their relatives is just so strange and baffling. It makes no sense, and it makes the sequels even weaker.

Interesting. The first film blew my 11yr old mind on release, but on repeat views as an adult it doesn't quite hold up. I found the second more enjoyable. This is partly explainable by expectations and the fact that I've seen the first one more often than the second.

Good review of a great film, am on the fence about going 4k for these though, might get them on a deal if one eventually appears

Interesting. The first film blew my 11yr old mind on release, but on repeat views as an adult it doesn't quite hold up. I found the second more enjoyable. This is partly explainable by expectations and the fact that I've seen the first one more often than the second.

Good review of a great film, am on the fence about going 4k for these though, might get them on a deal if one eventually appears
I get the arguments about what's better with 2 and 3, but 2 better than 1?! Nuh uh.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom