Back to the Future 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

I think anyone who claims this isn't sci-fi need to redefine their definition of what sci-fi is. As mb3195 rightly posted above, sci fi covers a broad range of areas, but it's basically any concept that is fictional/not yet invented and linked to science. Time travel and the consequences of meddling with timelines is very much within the sci-fi spectrum.

I think anyone who claims this isn't sci-fi need to redefine their definition of what sci-fi is. As mb3195 rightly posted above, sci fi covers a broad range of areas, but it's basically any concept that is fictional/not yet invented and linked to science. Time travel and the consequences of meddling with timelines is very much within the sci-fi spectrum.
I refer you to the ongoing Jaws debate. Is it about a shark? No, not really.

And my point is that BTTF 1 isn't specifically about time travel. That's merely a plot machination which Zemeckis had to use to make the real plot function. If he could have done it any other way perhaps he would have.

BTTF2 is specifically about time travel of course.

Spot on review. 3 of my all time favourite films. I don’t get the hate for the second I thought they did a fantastic job linking all 3 movies in. A perfect trilogy and I won’t have a bad word said against it. Oh and I’ve got this....
View attachment 1383851

Please could you send me your address and when you are out of the house. Just interested, asking for a friend

And my point is that BTTF 1 isn't specifically about time travel. That's merely a plot machination which Zemeckis had to use to make the real plot function. If he could have done it any other way perhaps he would have.

BTTF2 is specifically about time travel of course.

I'm sorry, but you can't use Jaws as a reference point here. It's just not relevant.

Your argument about BTTF is flawed (in my opinion) and you may as well use it to deny lots of well known sci fi films are not sci fi...

Silent Running is a well known sci fi film, but under your argument, is the fact it's not about space makes justification for it not to be sci fi?

mb3195 has provided a dictionary definition of what sci-fi means, which you have conveniently side stepped. How does BTTF differ from The Time Machine by HG Wells, which is known as being a pivotal sci-fi novel and film?

Google "is back to the future a sci-fi film" and you'll find the following at the top of the search results:

"Back to the Future: No 15 best sci-fi and fantasy film of all time" Back to the Future: No 15 best sci-fi and fantasy film of all time

"Back to the Future: A Credit to the Science Fiction Genre" Back to the Future: A Credit to the Science Fiction Genre | The Artifice

I can't think of notion more in the realms of sci fi than someone inventing a car that goes back in time and the concept of every chance meeting and action altering the course of events in the future. To say this is secondary to the plot is (in my opinion) not a valid comment - the actions of Marty and Doc Brown's actions in the film are interlinked to this very concept.

The irony is that in order to fully enjoy sci-fi films (and books) you have to open your mind to the possibility and be open to the science or concept being put forward. To limit your own concept of sci-fi is just an act of narrowing your mind.

Here's another dictionary definition for you:

science fiction

noun

1. fiction based on imagined future scientific or technological advances and major social or environmental changes, frequently portraying space or time travel and life on other planets.

Sci-Fi movies are about science. The Matrix for example is clearly a sci-fi movie.
The Matrix is definitely not a sci-fi movie, it's all about the clothes, sunglasses and looking stylish. Anything else is purely incidental.
Missing the point that movies don't fall under just one category. BTTF is a sci-fi rom com.

The Matrix is definitely not a sci-fi movie, it's all about the clothes, sunglasses and looking stylish. Anything else is purely incidental.
Missing the point that movies don't fall under just one category. BTTF is a sci-fi rom com.

Exactly. In the same way that Alien is a sci-fi horror.

Top 10 film for me... Masterful in every way. My wedding song was Earth Angel - best day ever (apart form my daughter being born!)

Thank you for excellent review Cas. What many people don’t know is these Movies were made in 2029 and popped into our Time Line in the 80’s. I have not even written this Post yet.

Flux Capacitor looks like a female’s private part - my Wife tells me.

I was always a bit embarrassed to say this was my "favourite film"instead of such films as Citizen Kane etc. Had no idea it was voted best SF film of all time. So not only me then!

Don't know if it was due to watching it for the first time in America (Detroit) while visiting some relatives soon after it was released. This was really before the internet and we had no idea what the film was about or the plot (unlike nowadays where you have seen most of the film in the trailers etc)

Have seen it several times since and for me it is a Perfect Film. Every one of the actors was superb, the scipt and general plotting was "tight" with no over long or pointless scenes and of course it was funny. ("If you really are from the future, then who is the President of the United States in 1985?" is still a great comedy scene). Special mention for the actor who plays "Biff" who I feel was great in every film. And the theme tune.
The second film- the make-up was really ropey which was a bit of distraction. But the third film was superb again. Yes films 1-3-2 in that order in terms of which is best.

I can still vaguely remember the teaser trailer for this. It had a close up of Marty's Nike trainers and it was a pair I'd never seen before. This blew my ten year old mind and I just had to see this movie. Since that first viewing, BTTF has been go to movie whenever I feel fed up. It never fails to lift me out of the doldrums. I just love everything about it. Whether it's a sci-fi film or not misses the point - It's just an amazing movie. Funny, exciting, superb performances, an all time classic baddie AND Billy Zane. How anyone can claim to be a film fan and not have this near the top of their favourites is beyond me. Great Scott!

If I could score BTTF 11/10 I would. Grew up with this film and last week had the special moment of the watching the first film with my daughter (who loved it btw).

I was always a bit embarrassed to say this was my "favourite film"instead of such films as Citizen Kane etc. Had no idea it was voted best SF film of all time. So not only me then!

Like what you like. Life's too short to conform to what you're "supposed" to like or dislike.

For me BTTF is probably my second favourite movie of all time (Blade Runner takes the no.1 spot), with Jaws or Raiders in no.3. I've seen it countless times and it just gets better with age. It's perfection. Zemeckis and Gale worked on the script for several years, finely honing it, and it shows. As Steve said, it's like a Swiss clock, every piece is flawless, essential, and polished. There isn't a wasted second in it.

(they wrote the sequels in 6 months)

I still haven't watched the BDs! Which I bought to replace the DVDs... which I bought to replace the LDs... which I bought to replace the VHSss.

So many unwatched BDs getting superseded :(

No issues with the packaging. I'm used to the trilogy being in a digipak.

I still haven't watched the BDs! Which I bought to replace the DVDs... which I bought to replace the LDs... which I bought to replace the VHSss.

So many unwatched BDs getting superseded :(

No issues with the packaging. I'm used to the trilogy being in a digipak.

That was a very wise move.

Really? Were they bad? I honestly can't remember :blush:

They were, they went over board with the DNR, EE and blew out the highlights.

Took 10 years but finally we got a decent release, now if only Paramount could do the same with the Trek films.

If he could have done it any other way perhaps he would have.
For the original idea, Bob Gale wondered if he would have been friends with his dad if they had gone to high school together. What other way could they travel through time to achieve this without travelling through time? Was and always will be a time travelling Sci-Fi movie.

I always liked this trilogy but ... I would never rate this a 10 as a movie. Really, a scoring of 10 for the movie? I don’t get this type of scoring at all. What I’m missing from the review is to see if it’s a worthwhile upgrade from the bluray edition?

If @Casimir Harlow had a penny for everytime a post saying i don't understand how you can score this so high, he'd be a rich man ..its his opinion...one i happen to agree with, thats why I ordered it today..thanks for the review Cas.

None of the UHD discs in the trilogy will work in my player. Anyone know how to trick a player to skip past the language selection menu?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom