Bad driving and other videos caught on camera

Maybe if Fergal and Beasty notified families for avoidable road deaths they might think differently.
I am sure the police would hand it over.

Just like reading Facebook sometimes, but with a better looking background ;)

Maybe if Fergal and Beasty notified families for avoidable road deaths they might think differently.
I am sure the police would hand it over.

I didn't say the driver was correct in what they did, it's certainly not something i do however, i just think ostewart sounds like the type of driver that would report you to the police for not using an indicator! He seems like the "holier than though" type that criticises everyone else on the road (and reports them to the police) but then i bet he's also one of those that drives at 50 in a 60 and then jumps on here and complains about the erratic driving of the 10 people that were stuck behind him.

I didn't say the driver was correct in what they did, it's certainly not something i do however, i just think ostewart sounds like the type of driver that would report you to the police for not using an indicator! He seems like the "holier than though" type that criticises everyone else on the road (and reports them to the police) but then i bet he's also one of those that drives at 50 in a 60 and then jumps on here and complains about the erratic driving of the 10 people that were stuck behind him.

Not at all, I usually drive at the speed limit and I don't report for no indicator (although it's a pet peeve). I'll overtake a driver doing 50mph if safe to do so, and yes I've probably broken speed limits on occasion.

In this situation the van was near my side of the road narrowly avoiding hitting either me head on, or knocking the cyclists off their bikes.

Don't close overtake cyclists on a blind corner and this doesn't happen. It's a national speed limit road.

I'm not an experienced driver, and this was really sketchy for the cyclists, I sympathize with them because I cycle a lot. And yes I've reported a few drivers for close overtakes when I've been cycling.

I don't report that often, but the police in my area have made it very easy to submit a report in hopes that more people will report anti social driving. It's worth doing it in my opinion, if they get a letter I hope it makes them reconsider their driving style

Is that what you do then?
These days I am a test engineer and in the past have been a volunteer counsellor, designed a voice evacuation where the need came out of Hillsborough and other major incidents so I had to understand what happened and how.
Basically I have had times when you can't duck or hide from things.

Not at all, I usually drive at the speed limit and I don't report for no indicator (although it's a pet peeve). I'll overtake a driver doing 50mph if safe to do so, and yes I've probably broken speed limits on occasion.

In this situation the van was near my side of the road narrowly avoiding hitting either me head on, or knocking the cyclists off their bikes.

Don't close overtake cyclists on a blind corner and this doesn't happen. It's a national speed limit road.

I'm not an experienced driver, and this was really sketchy for the cyclists, I sympathize with them because I cycle a lot. And yes I've reported a few drivers for close overtakes when I've been cycling.

I don't report that often, but the police in my area have made it very easy to submit a report in hopes that more people will report anti social driving. It's worth doing it in my opinion, if they get a letter I hope it makes them reconsider their driving style

Fair enough, and i don't disagree at all with anything that you've said if i'm honest, it's just the reporting that maybe came across as a bit more extreme.

These days I am a test engineer and in the past have been a volunteer counsellor, designed a voice evacuation where the need came out of Hillsborough and other major incidents so I had to understand what happened and how.
Basically I have had times when you can't duck or hide from things.
Fair enough, now I get where the stern posts come from, fully respect your viewpoint though. I’m only commenting on a 20second video and perhaps wasn’t looking at the bigger picture.

Sounds like you’ve got good intentions so I’ll not criticise you for that 👍

Fair enough, now I get where the stern posts come from, fully respect your viewpoint though. I’m only commenting on a 20second video and perhaps wasn’t looking at the bigger picture.
Having to look at the big picture at times has changed me, only natural and frankly it has been a help with COVID-19.
People who haven't been through that have found lockdowns etc. harder than I do and I feel for them.

Sometimes what the camera fails to pick up is the speed, closeness and recklessness that our eyes see, but the camera does not.

I think you’re on a hiding to nothing there.
Maybe for one letter, but after the authorities have recorded a few sent to the same driver - triggered by unconnected complainants - they may look more closely.

Maybe for one letter, but after the authorities have recorded a few sent to the same driver - triggered by unconnected complainants - they may look more closely.
The authorities might look more closely if they receive a few complaints, but I was on about it making the driver reconsider their driving style. Speed cameras everywhere, the threat of points, fines etc don’t seem to work, I doubt a letter will.

Sometimes what the camera fails to pick up is the speed, closeness and recklessness that our eyes see, but the camera does not.
Spot on.

Take a look at my post #708 and the subsequent discussion which exemplifies this point perfectly. (Not having a go at you @Fergal82, just agreeing with the point @aVdub has made with a worked example :smashin: ).

Note the red car at the red light light on the right hand side - my wife driving the Almera in front of me, and our lights go to green - the lorry then obscures my view, but the red car from the red light suddenly drives into the road ahead of us. Not to mention the silver Zafira...

This happened last year on the A303, I was travelling at around 50mph.

It's the first and only clip that's been sent to the Police who agreed this wasn't the standard of driving that was acceptable and they would take further action.

I've not heard what happened but hope it was enough to wake the driver up.

Heres a clip which didn't involve me for once, I was travelling towards Burrowbridge from Taunton on the A361 on lovely afternoon. Just glad it wasn't me.

Last edited:
Heres a clip which didn't involve me for once, I was travelling towards Burrowbridge from Taunton on the A361 on lovely afternoon. Just glad it wasn't me.

BMW parked nicely under that truck... Guessing it's an overtake gone very very wrong.

BMW parked nicely under that truck... Guessing it's an overtake gone very very wrong.
I think that's an understatement, that stretch of road is one of the only places to overtake for some distance, but there are a few entrances you've got to be wary of.

Just rewatched the clip, should have been a lot better quality than that, I'll recheck the youtube version.

Had a day surrounded by so many road fools travelling at high speed in heavy rain with very low visibility on a flooded M20.
Sadly a young woman died on the same road an hour after we had passed, after running into the back of another vehicle on the hard shoulder.

This was before the heavy rain and shows a large piece of poly insulation hitting my car at 50mph on my approach to Dover and sounded much louder in the cab, than the dash shows. Video also was just on the switch to the next recording, so appears short.

Last edited:
Another tool that cannot wait a few seconds.

Not far from here a 22 year old woman died on the same day when she ran into the back of a vehicle on the hard shoulder :(

Unseen is the VW Tig that passed me and then slowed down and as I was on cruise I indicated to pass and the driver kept increasing their speed to not allow me to pass.
BMW was on my bumper and constantly flashing their lights in the variable speed limited to 50mph section of motorway.
I just managed to pass the Tig and then the BMW driver did this.

I have plenty more that I could add and apart from one in a Toyota, all the others were driving German cars and driving far too fast for the conditions that day.

The young woman that died on this section that day, sadly drove her Merc into a stationary car on the hard shoulder :(

You see it a lot - drivers either not hearing/seeing emergency vehicles, or not caring if they do see them...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom