Barbecues are bloody brilliant Part 3

Hi Guys!

Tonight I will be kicking off my first attempt at pulled pork.

I'll be using a Brinkmann's Smoke 'n' grill, lump wood charcoal lumps (planning to use the minion method), hickory chips, iGrill and a 4lb pork shoulder joint bought from from the butcher this morning which I've just rubbed using this recipe Big Bad Beef Rub Recipe

Any suggestions? :)

You appear to have covered all the bases.

Just give yourself plenty of time and don't stress too much over grill temps, shoulder is very forgiving, sit back and enjoy a few beers!

Just got back from a local farm open day.
A guy was selling hot dogs from a smoker.
Wow, what a taste.
I got chatting to him, the sausages were just normal, good quality butchers sausages and all the flavour came from the smoker. He said that silver birch is his favourite. Well worth £2.
And its convinced me that when I get my new Weber, I'll be making a smokenator for it.

Weather was rubbish so binned off the planned day at the coast and did a bbq for the mrs, kids and mrs' parents on the WSM and OTP.

The usual 'head-line' bbq meat is frozen (brisket, short ribs and pork loin ribs) and as it was too late to defrost and set up for a long WSM cook I decided to used up what was in the fridge & freezer and took a trip to the supermarket for some quick to cook bbq food.

No pictures I'm afraid.

OTP
Buffalo wings with Frank's hot sauce & butter (the only way to do buffalo wings)
Wild boar & apple sausage
Lamb & mint sausage
Mackerel
Sardines
Homemade pizza

WSM
2 small spatchcock jerk chickens

Greek salad with chopped olive dressing.

Ice cream, ice lollies, sorrel (drink made with flowers of caribbean sorrel plant) & cold beer.

The fish I found at the back of the freezer and it had been there for nearly 12 months!! It cooked up a treat and everything went down really well.

The Mrs & her mother are cleaning up the kitchen, kids are quiet, The Mrs' Dad is sparko on the sofa.

Today, my work is done.

Tomorrow I will knock up some more pizza dough and do a couple of pizzas on the OTP with the left overs from today.

Great thread(s) :), although it's just cost me a Weber 57cm one touch premium. Bought from a local Go Outdoors where they will price match plus 10%.

So, a 6lb shoulder of pork has been bought along with some bits for the rub. I'm guessing it'll be about 10 hours with the lid thermometer showing about 140C with an indirect cook. Any other last minute advice? What about cutting it in half for a slightly quicker cook time?

I don't have any wood chips for this attempt so I hope this doesn't matter too much - I do have some pine and mahogany wood in the garage but I guess that's not a suitable alternative ;)

Chaps, before I collapse into a drunken stupor thanks for all the advice on the beer butt chicken it was bloody tasty.

Indirect all the way.....crispy, moist.....and sleep zzzzx

i have found my dads webber funnel to use to light the lumpwood etc, but it appears to just be a large tube with a wire towards the bottom which goes up in a spiral shape - is there supposed to be some kind of insert? surel if i put the lighter blocks and lumpwood in it, it will just tall through?

i have found my dads webber funnel to use to light the lumpwood etc, but it appears to just be a large tube with a wire towards the bottom which goes up in a spiral shape - is there supposed to be some kind of insert? surel if i put the lighter blocks and lumpwood in it, it will just tall through?

Don't bother with lighter blocks they are not needed.

Fill the chimney with charcoal, stuff the underside of the chimney with wads scrunched up paper (I tear strips off the bag the charcoal comes in), place this on your charcoal grate and light the paper with a match. After 20 or 30 minutes or so your charcoal will be ready.

There are probably videos about, there are videos for most stuff online.

Edit: Here you go

Last edited:
just found this, which shows what you described. although i think he turned it out a little early

Hi Guys!

Tonight I will be kicking off my first attempt at pulled pork.

I'll be using a Brinkmann's Smoke 'n' grill, lump wood charcoal lumps (planning to use the minion method), hickory chips, iGrill and a 4lb pork shoulder joint bought from from the butcher this morning which I've just rubbed using this recipe http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/big_bad_beef_rub.html

Any suggestions? :)

Didn't do it over night in the end as the wife had to go to work today. Instead it went on at about 0800 this morning.

I've just taken it off and here is the fella! I've wrapped it in foil and towels and am resting it. Meanwhile I've also made a kick ass BBQ sauce!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! :)

ImageUploadedByAVForums1370787216.796899.jpg
ImageUploadedByAVForums1370787241.801261.jpg
ImageUploadedByAVForums1370787285.989620.jpg

well, my bb didn't happen today as the weather is absolutely gash - so told my friends not to make the journey down. proper ****** off. 9 days into June and we have only seen about 10 warm days this year :(

The missus is going away for a week so i decided to make myself pulled pork so i have leftovers for dinner next week...

IMG-20130609-WA0000_zps5ec6ce43.jpg

This is 3.3lbs. I just put a simple rub on, and not too much of it as i don't want to over power the meat.

My method in the smoker is to put just under 3/4 of a chimney of lit coals in, and then over the top some unlit coals

That's pecan wood in there

IMG_20130609_092032_zps068c85d6.jpg

After about 25 mins the temp is holding steady at about 225

IMG_20130609_092904_zps57068cb7.jpg

So on it goes.

IMG_20130609_093542_zps0ab5cd3d.jpg

Now I'll wait a few hours then take a look

I popped on the forums a few weeks ago to do some research on mobile phones before upgrading using the android app, saw this thread on the latest threads list and thought it sounded interesting so thought I'd take a look. I ended up spending the next few hours reading every post on the thread.

We've owned a gas barbecue for a couple of years but to be honest have never really got much use out of it.

Three weeks later, and a couple of hundred quid lighter, I now own a Weber One Touch Premium, plus a few accessories :laugh: and have barbecued five nights out of the last seven, including beer can chicken last weekend, which was delicious, and pulled pork today, which is sitting wrapped up in foil and towels at the moment.

So thanks guys, for converting me to the joys of charcoal.

I've kept you waiting long enough.

:smashin:

The pinnacle of barbecue. Jerk chicken.

null_zps1384fd5f.jpg

Here it is with some sweet potato chips. The chicken looks a little darker here (it’s just the way the photo has come out), but the chips look great!

null_zps557d2e90.jpg

Jerk seasoning - let's discuss.

Okay, I've tried any number of bottled varieties and several homemade 'authentic' versions. I've also had a read of a few food writers’ blogs and notes, so here goes.

You get two main sorts of jerk. You get your traditional dark hot stuff, and your seasoning that's a bit more like a traditional barbecue sauce - red and sweet, but with a jerk 'kick'.

Of the latter, I love the Grace Jerk BBQ. But if you have trouble finding it, Levi Roots Reggae Sauce Jerk Barbeque is very close. Before you baulk at buying anything so commercial, please remember that Levi spent years perfecting his family's recipe at the Notting Hill Carnival before appearing in front of the Dragons.

On to the 'non-red' stuff, there are two sub varieties: those with just the basics (spring onions, chillies, all spice [pimento], thyme) and those which add soy sauce and some sort of sweetener (brown sugar, molasses).

Someone once said that asking for a recipe for jerk was like asking for the correct recipe for a burger. As long as you get the original basics in there it just becomes a matter of taste.

My personal favourite is Dunn's River. I've tried to replicate it myself in the home, and I've come close, but frankly the home version is more expensive. And the original contains nothing artificial, so that's fine with me.

At times I've opted for Walkerswood Traditional Jamaican Jerk Seasoning, but after a few years experiment I think I prefer the Dunn's River. For now. :smashin:

Marinade in a large freezer/food bag overnight. Then sear for 2 minutes each side over direct heat, then 20-60 minutes over indirect heat, depending on how hot your barbecue is and how big the chicken pieces are. I prefer chicken thighs (as you can see).

I've tasted delicious ribs, pulled pork, steaks, burgers, etc, but for me this is the ultimate.

I'm still experimenting with wood types and combinations for the essential smoke.

Steve W

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Beer can chicken fail for us, we had switched to using Heat Beats which seem to be many times better than whatever the briquette brand from tesco is.

So brined the chicken, gave instructions on how to set up the indirect coals etc, the chicken had a big neck bone on it and so the kettle wouldn't shut, so we removed the beer can and switched it for a coke can all was well, set a timer to check on the chicken 1 hour later, I thought it was nuts to leave it that long to check so convinced them to change the timer to 30 mins.

Went out after 30 mins to find the bbq was seriously seriously hot, lifted up the lid and the chicken was on its side, our garden is on an incline and when the chicken had got hotter the legs contracted some and the chicken had toppled. One side was thick black, the rest looked really good. Stuck the thermometer in and it was slightly over done, 30 mins it had been on for a 1.7kg chicken :D

So whipped that off quickly and cooked up some ribs from waitrose (which were already pre slow cooked, so you just needed to heat them and give them some colour on the bbq) and we did corn on the cob with a lime and ginger glaze, salad and jacket potatoes in the oven.

Other than the one black chicken leg being a write off, the chicken was still very juicy and delicious, the ribs were awesome and fall off the bone and the corn was yummy. So despite our stupidity and epic fail with the chicken the bbq was still a hit. Saved by the brine I think.

I can't imagine what the chicken would have looked like if we hadn't checked it for an hour.

Sausages, burgers and baked potatoes for my daughters (and her friends) birthday party on Friday. So nothing too taxing (having said that think I've got some room for improvement on the baked potato front).

Went to Grillstock on Saturday and it was the first time that I've had brisket and really really liked it. Previously I've always been a bit ambivalent towards brisket so maybe I need to revisit it.

Beer can chicken fail for us, we had switched to using Heat Beats which seem to be many times better than whatever the briquette brand from tesco is.

So brined the chicken, gave instructions on how to set up the indirect coals etc, the chicken had a big neck bone on it and so the kettle wouldn't shut, so we removed the beer can and switched it for a coke can all was well, set a timer to check on the chicken 1 hour later, I thought it was nuts to leave it that long to check so convinced them to change the timer to 30 mins..

What I've done in the past with chicken on a poultry roaster where the lid won't close is to remove the grill grate then place the poultry roaster on the same level as the coals. It cooks slightly quicker.

So brined the chicken, gave instructions on how to set up the indirect coals etc, the chicken had a big neck bone on it and so the kettle wouldn't shut, so we removed the beer can and switched it for a coke can all was well, set a timer to check on the chicken 1 hour later, I thought it was nuts to leave it that long to check so convinced them to change the timer to 30 mins.

Went out after 30 mins to find the bbq was seriously seriously hot, lifted up the lid and the chicken was on its side, our garden is on an incline and when the chicken had got hotter the legs contracted some and the chicken had toppled. One side was thick black, the rest looked really good. Stuck the thermometer in and it was slightly over done, 30 mins it had been on for a 1.7kg chicken :D

So whipped that off quickly and cooked up some ribs from waitrose (which were already pre slow cooked, so you just needed to heat them and give them some colour on the bbq) and we did corn on the cob with a lime and ginger glaze, salad and jacket potatoes in the oven.

Other than the one black chicken leg being a write off, the chicken was still very juicy and delicious, the ribs were awesome and fall off the bone and the corn was yummy. So despite our stupidity and epic fail with the chicken the bbq was still a hit. Saved by the brine I think.

I can't imagine what the chicken would have looked like if we hadn't checked it for an hour.

Had to chuckle at the part about the sloped garden, as I had exactly the same issue with the same recipe this weekend.

I stupidly bought a beer can chicken bbq holder device (yes such an accessory exists) from B&Q and the lid on my 57 Weber wouldn't close fully.

So ditched the holder, precariously balance the chicken on the can and it fell over when SWMBO got interested and had a peek under the dome....:nono:

Anyway, it was rescued and tasted pretty damned good in the end.If only the Weber had telescopic legs to manage with uneven surfaces.....

Also how do the seasoned BBQ'ers here deal with neighbours laundry being outside when you grill?

My back garden is adjacent to 4 others, divided by fences of various heights, and I know for a fact the smoke form my grill will hit their laundry on the line......what's a guy got to do here?

My immediate next door neighbour said he was cool with it as he collected in his smoky laundry and I don't want to **** anyone off intentionally so what's the best approach?

Have you considered the Weber 57cm for £30:00 less at Homebase?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom