Barbecues are bloody brilliant Part 3

Recently bought some big k restaurant grade charcoal from Ocado - been doing this for a while now. I normally get the 15kg lump wood but they had run out and sent me some big k brickettes which are shaped like long tubes in an octagon profile. Can I get these bloody things to light easily? Having a nightmare, they take forever. Anyone else tried these and sussed our how to light them without going through a pack of firefighters and taking an hour? If not, after previously wholeheartedly recommending big k restaurant grade, I would recommend staying away from these! once lit they do last a good while though....
Are you using a chimney starter?

Recently bought some big k restaurant grade charcoal from Ocado - been doing this for a while now. I normally get the 15kg lump wood but they had run out and sent me some big k brickettes which are shaped like long tubes in an octagon profile. Can I get these bloody things to light easily? Having a nightmare, they take forever. Anyone else tried these and sussed our how to light them without going through a pack of firefighters and taking an hour? If not, after previously wholeheartedly recommending big k restaurant grade, I would recommend staying away from these! once lit they do last a good while though....
Are you using a chimney starter?
Trouble is those octagon sticks are pretty big so you won't get many in a chimney. But some is better than nothing and then stack up the rest once you put them on the BBQ. They are widely used in restaurants with gas starters as they do last but more importantly have pretty even heating.

I'm sure they are buggers to start, you'd need a heavy duty gas torch as the best method.

Trouble is those octagon sticks are pretty big so you won't get many in a chimney. But some is better than nothing and then stack up the rest once you put them on the BBQ. They are widely used in restaurants with gas starters as they do last but more importantly have pretty even heating.

I'm sure they are buggers to start, you'd need a heavy duty gas torch as the best method.
I use a chimney starter to light mine and it works a treat

Yes chimney starter and half a bag of fire lighters in bunches of threes. Will be a case of experimentation as I have 3 boxes of them, Lol! They just don’t catch quickly enough and I don’t have a gas blow torch like my uncle in SA for his braai!

I use a chimney starter to light mine and it works a treat

any tips? My chimney starter was lit before 6pm and took over an hour before I could start grilling....

Yes chimney starter and half a bag of fire lighters in bunches of threes. Will be a case of experimentation as I have 3 boxes of them, Lol! They just don’t catch quickly enough and I don’t have a gas blow torch like my uncle in SA for his braai!
Where are you standing the chimney starter, sounds like you’re not getting enough air flow underneath. I use 3 of those natural fire lighters and it’s usually raging after 10mins

any tips? My chimney starter was lit before 6pm and took over an hour before I could start grilling....
I stand mine on my bbq grille with the air slots fully open underneath and it’s ready to go after 20-30mins

Usually stand it on the grate in the Weber, might have to go back to free standing... you using this specific charcoal? I’ve used all sorts but never had this much grief....

For a long cook it‘ll be amazing as it’s absolutely raging now and will do so for a good while. With the vents closed they’ll last forever. I think I’ll have to revisit my lighting regime!

Usually stand it on the grate in the Weber, might have to go back to free standing... you using this specific charcoal? I’ve used all sorts but never had this much grief....
Yep and cook it on my Weber as well.

Time to try some different fire lighters?

Hmmm may have to. So much for eco fire lighters!
Cheers for the input guys :thumbsup: this thread goes a bit quiet this time of year!

When I ran out of firefighters I tried my electric weed burner to start the chimney and have been using it ever since. Starts a charcoal chimney in 3 minutes.

It's a pity this combo is either out of stock in the UK and when it is available, pretty expensive.

New bbq time, in the midst of the build. Looking forward to a six hour rib cook this fine November Sunday.

44659DDC-CBAB-4876-BE56-F08AD7A203FE.png

my kj is currently in a shipping container whilst our extension is built :( sad times but will be worth it in the end as I will be able to build a bbq after the build is done

Good price for the iGrill 2 at £40 if anyone’s after a thermometer, down from the usual £90 or so for Black Friday.

Got an inkbird myself which is fantastic, but at this price the Weber is hard to beat.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Nice, I quite often buy from them.

Is that a butt? Could just be the angle but looks like belly. Good breed though,

But they have a good range of meat though. Burgers and bangers look good.

Is that a butt? Could just be the angle but looks like belly. Good breed though,

But they have a good range of meat though. Burgers and bangers look good.

It’s a butt, just a huge fat cap on it!

So this thing has cooked far quicker than expected. Need it for about 4pm today and expected it to be done around midday so I could wrap and hold it till nearer time

however it’s pretty much ready now. If I foil rap and keep it in the oven at around 80C will it survive about 6 hours do we think?

Wrap in foil/cling film, then wrap in a couple of towels and put in a cooler box. It will hold temperature for hours.
If you don;t have a cooler box wrap in a few towels.

When you shred and serve, if it's too cool then put portions in the microwave and serve with a warmed up bbq sauce.

Cheers, Googled around and seems oven at 150F wrapped in foil is ok so gone with that, see how it turns out :)

Attachments

• F8314FF6-66C3-4035-B166-2659E931D8B4.jpeg
    F8314FF6-66C3-4035-B166-2659E931D8B4.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 74
I bought the rotisserie attachment for my Weber 57cm in the Black Friday sale at riversidegardencentre (good place for Weber stuff). I've only cooked a practice turkey on it in the build up to Christmas but it was a lot of fun and an interesting new way to cook. The photos don't really do it justice.

Attachments

• IMG_20191202_200253.jpg
    IMG_20191202_200253.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20191202_183659.jpg
    IMG_20191202_183659.jpg
    971 KB · Views: 55

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom