Barbecues are bloody brilliant Part 3

Riverside always have a good Weber range, but that doesn't mean you'll get the best discount there.

keep an eye on the likes of facebook marketplace, lots of people selling them thinking they are knackered without realising you can renovate them fairly easily on your own

Those Webber q are regularly reduced and i love mine for a quick bbq also great for taking to the beach won’t feed loads but so easy to use Paid under £130 for mine and use it loads, maybe you need something bigger though:)
If anyone sees a good deal on a q gas (1200) let me know please

I did my first small brisket on the Kamado today, I did a whole chicken last week that was very nice but thought I would try some brisket today.

I wasn’t expecting great results and was just trying to get some practice.

Firstly I put a rub on the beef (one I bought online consisting of brown sugar, onion powder l, garlic powder, sweet chili and paprika)

I got the kamado up to a temp of 230F using lump wood and a few pieces of apple wood (using the ink bird not the dome reading) and put the meat on the grill and monitored it from the comfort of the couch.

I needed to adjust the top and bottomvents on the kamado a few times to try and regulate temp but to be honest it was only small adjustments and it generally held a consistent temp throughout the cook and probably would have been fine with no input from me at all.

About 4 hours in the temp levelled out at about 145F and from my limited knowledge and taking a leap of faith I declared this the ‘stall’ and wrapped it in foil with some beef stock for a further 2 hours to a final temp of 195F before resting for an hour.

Things I will do differently next time would be to let the meat come up to room temp before putting it on the grill (didn’t have time today it was all a bit last minute)

Reduce the temp after foiling the beef to try and get it a bit softer and also rest for longer.

Overall though it tasted nice and was relatively moist and soft but by no means perfect and I think I can improve next time, but I guess that’s what it’s all about isn’t it 😃

Attachments

• 326F1838-2046-49A1-AEC8-2DD99725AD80.jpeg
    326F1838-2046-49A1-AEC8-2DD99725AD80.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 07B0EC65-38E1-4730-8B4A-4B4F0E5E16BB.jpeg
    07B0EC65-38E1-4730-8B4A-4B4F0E5E16BB.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 77
Things I will do differently next time would be to let the meat come up to room temp before putting it on the grill (didn’t have time today it was all a bit last minute)

on this point it’s my understanding that smoke “sticks” better to cold meat. So you might find room temp meat will be counter productive.

It certainly had a nice Smokey flavour, if I could change anything it would be keeping more moisture in the meat. I thought starting at room temp might help with that but I’m no expert and welcome any advice.

I did my first small brisket on the Kamado today, I did a whole chicken last week that was very nice but thought I would try some brisket today.

I wasn’t expecting great results and was just trying to get some practice.

Firstly I put a rub on the beef (one I bought online consisting of brown sugar, onion powder l, garlic powder, sweet chili and paprika)

I got the kamado up to a temp of 230F using lump wood and a few pieces of apple wood (using the ink bird not the dome reading) and put the meat on the grill and monitored it from the comfort of the couch.

I needed to adjust the top and bottomvents on the kamado a few times to try and regulate temp but to be honest it was only small adjustments and it generally held a consistent temp throughout the cook and probably would have been fine with no input from me at all.

About 4 hours in the temp levelled out at about 145F and from my limited knowledge and taking a leap of faith I declared this the ‘stall’ and wrapped it in foil with some beef stock for a further 2 hours to a final temp of 195F before resting for an hour.

Reduce the temp after foiling the beef to try and get it a bit softer and also rest for longer.

Overall though it tasted nice and was relatively moist and soft but by no means perfect and I think I can improve next time, but I guess that’s what it’s all about isn’t it 😃

Leave it cold. It'll take on more smoke and not add as much time to the cook as you'd think. Stalls can happen at anytime. Depends entire on the meat, my brisket the other week stalled at 185f!! I've never had one go that hot before a stall, and it was also the longest stall I've had.

You can actually up the heat after wrapping (in foil at least).

If it wasn't as soft as you were expecting, let it cook for longer if you can. By no means is this a certain, but an internal temp can go to 210+ before it's probe tender. Wait until you get zero resistance with a temp prob.

But briskets are a bugger and many will be cooked that are not perfect.

That looks like a small point with a rolled flat? The flat is the bugger part of the brisket, points are much easier. If you can ask a butcher for the point end from a whole brisket.

But it's a great start and a better smoke ring than I got from my years old wood chunks I found in the shed.

I’ve been ‘experimenting’ with brisket on my WSM. Some come out quite good, others tuff as old boots, finished them off in chunks in a chilli. Smoke them for 10hrs too.

I‘m waiting for Weber to bring out the mark II of one of these Weber Smoke Fire :)

Thanks for the tips. My plan for next time will definitely be cook for longer and to probe it before removing from the heat. I just pulled it of when it got to 197 and didn’t really test for softness.

I have used my inkbird ibt-4x for temp monitoring but I’m finding the range not as great as I was expecting. It goes in and out at about 15m and through 2 walls. Am I expecting to much or does this sound like a fault? Apart from the range issue it is working very well.

All bluetooth thermometers are extremely optimistic about their ranges which only really apply to line of site outside. Getting through 2 walls is good performance in my experience.

Which did you go for?

I’ve been ‘experimenting’ with brisket on my WSM. Some come out quite good, others tuff as old boots, finished them off in chunks in a chilli. Smoke them for 10hrs too.

I‘m waiting for Weber to bring out the mark II of one of these Weber Smoke Fire :)
Yeah I wouldn't touch version one with a barge poll so long, if I nudged it, it would hit me in the back. I seriously wonder what their testing involved, it certainly didn't involved filling the hopper.

Weber's pricing is all over the place. To get a good value, but very flawed pellet smoker you have to pay "just £1500" for the big version. But their top end Summit Charcoa ("just a double walled MasterTouch) it's £1700 with no side table. Crazy

Yeah I wouldn't touch version one with a barge poll so long, if I nudged it, it would hit me in the back. I seriously wonder what their testing involved, it certainly didn't involved filling the hopper.

Weber's pricing is all over the place. To get a good value, but very flawed pellet smoker you have to pay "just £1500" for the big version. But their top end Summit Charcoa ("just a double walled MasterTouch) it's £1700 with no side table. Crazy

Yep the pricing is a bit dubious. For what we pay in Sterling, you can get the it for the same figures in Dollars in the US.

I‘ve been monitoring a US bbq forum. The faults have been fixed with some upgrades apparently, but you still have to get them from Weber, after purchase.

Most be a lot of stock in U.K. before the mark I come along.

Which did you go for?

Got a Maverick, older version of this one;

There's other manufacturers and I see Maverick do a proper WiFi one, so you can monitor remotely as do other manufacturers.

Is this the latest big joe guys? Looks a good price if so

It’s the older one is the new one worth all the extra £££££££

So this just arrived!

The heathen electric smoker man that I am is bored of loading chip trays and constantly checking smoke output and having non-TBS with each additional load of chips. So not having access to the AMNPS I got this copy from BBQ Gourmet.

it seems to be very solidly built and is fairly weighty. If the weather holds up I might do some testing.

also got me a bag of pellets for it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 49
Definitely up for some cold smoking this autumn/winter.

Costco's good priced Salmon and rediculously cheap cheese means starting testing is pretty cheap

Good thing is I can use that for hot as well.

Thinking I might invest in a Weber gas bbq when the Autumn Sales hit as to compliment the charcoal, any pointers where to start looking online?
wowbbq.co.uk were always one of the cheapest I could find when looking for a Genesis.

Joe moved to its final position. Still a work in progress but looking great so far!
2F3EB75F-69EB-4D66-9753-C60847A4C802.jpeg

Looking great mate I’m window shopping joes all my spare time :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom