Batman Begins Ultra HD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Much appreciated, this might be the first UHD blu-ray I might buy.

I put off watching this film for so long because of the bad taste left by Batman & Robin but once I watched it, I actually had to take a moment afterward to digest that I'd just watched something so utterly brilliant. Still the best movie in the trilogy in my opinion, I felt the two that followed lost the "Bladerunner"-esqe feel to it the made it feel like a true cross between a comic book and a reality grounded crime drama.

agree on the whole Cas

glad I bought it as a substantial upgrade on the original BD on a decent display

but absolutely cannot agree with Mr Warrior above - this is not the best of the 3 films. I love all 3 but the order of brilliance for me is TDK, TDKR and BB

however being the worst of these 3 films still puts it a mile better than 99.5% of the rest of films made

No words about the DNR? People are complaining about this a lot of places..

"but absolutely cannot agree with Mr Warrior above - this is not the best of the 3 films. I love all 3 but the order of brilliance for me is TDK, TDKR and BB"

God I thought The Dark Knight was one of the most overlong, boring films I'd ever seen. There was nothing comic book about it, you could literally change the names of characters and it would just be a normal crime movie. Heath Ledger saved it for me, The Dark Knight without him is like Enter the Dragon without Bruce Lee-simply average.

"but absolutely cannot agree with Mr Warrior above - this is not the best of the 3 films. I love all 3 but the order of brilliance for me is TDK, TDKR and BB"

God I thought The Dark Knight was one of the most overlong, boring films I'd ever seen. There was nothing comic book about it, you could literally change the names of characters and it would just be a normal crime movie. Heath Ledger saved it for me, The Dark Knight without him is like Enter the Dragon without Bruce Lee-simply average.
you may be in a minority of one I suspect on here

nothing comic book about it? I know New York / Gotham can be a bit traffic laden but I doubt if there are too many instances of Tumbler activity in the average day...

heath ledger was excellent of course and jared leto never had a chance following in that role

still as ever all opinions are as valid as any other - even if they are flat out wrong ;)

really did not notice it - don't some people just look for issues rather than just enjoy the movie?

it is the best this film has ever looked - could it be better? - maybe - but I am still happy with it and the trilogy overall in UHD for that matter

Top stuff Cas!

I have purchased all these on itunes, Have heard the IMAX shots are gone but hopefully the quality is there still (Personally I cannot see a difference in PQ yet with films I have watched)

Will you guys start reviewing streamed versions? Would be good to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again, Look forward to your review of the next 2 :thumbsup:

It's hilarious, the DNR isn't even subtle. To give a PQ score of 8/10 for Batman Begins whilst giving Inception 7/10 is absurd.

It's hilarious, the DNR isn't even subtle. To give a PQ score of 8/10 for Batman Begins whilst giving Inception 7/10 is absurd.
Totally agree on that one , sometimes the rating is very inconsistento_O

as well as offering fuel for Gary Oldman's comeback in the form of Jim Gordon
???
Did he ever go away...
He played Sirius Black the previous year in HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban which is a fairly central role in that movie. For Batmans Begins it would be equivalent to the title being "Batmans Begins with Jim Gordon" :)

PQ wise greyish blacks at times are a feature of the UHD, I found that more distracting than any DNR.

Last edited:
Just finished watching my UHD of Batman Begins, my first UHD film experience and I thought it looked great with some vibrant colours (the greenhouse at the beginning) along with very inky blacks, far better than the previous BD and not a bad film too ;)

Top stuff Cas!

I have purchased all these on itunes, Have heard the IMAX shots are gone but hopefully the quality is there still (Personally I cannot see a difference in PQ yet with films I have watched)

Will you guys start reviewing streamed versions? Would be good to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again, Look forward to your review of the next 2 :thumbsup:

Are you referring to the switching AR on TDK and TDKR? as the first film never had any IMAX footage.

Are you referring to the switching AR on TDK and TDKR? as the first film never had any IMAX footage.

Yes I am Indy, I can't actually remember if there were any AR changes in this one (it has been a long time) :)

Shame the audio wasn't upgraded to DTS X or Dolby Atmos, bur glad to hear that the picture quality has received a good upgrade

Last edited:
Why is it a shame the audio was updated ?

Why is it a shame the audio was upgraded then, thats what we want dolby atmos or DTS:X.

I'd be hugely wary of this. Dark scenes and dark films in general are sometimes borderline unwatchable with the HDR treatment. Just a ridiculously low ABL. Hopefully they've avoided that here.

Why is it a shame the audio was upgraded then, thats what we want dolby atmos or DTS:X.

I’m not too sure how much of a difference atmos or dts x really makes.

I’ve got a pretty decent setup, the best sounding film I’ve heard in my room is probably Dunkirk. That is a 5.1 DTS soundtrack. My av receiver does a great job of up converting to dts neural x. I can’t really tell the difference between a dts x and a neural x sound track.

agreed the upmixing carried out by a modern receiver with an atmos speaker array makes a good 5.1 or 7.1 lossless soundtrack practically as good as an immersive soundtrack using neural X or dolby surround

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom