Batwoman (CW)

You'd be surprised. A show has to be absolutely dreadful (which you can argue Batwoman is) for the CW to cancel it.

Batwoman was flawed from the start. Hopefully this soft reboot will give it a shot in the arm. As krish said, Legends was a bit ropey first season, but was excellent later on.
Batwoman not just been ropey its been bloody awful adcross the board apart from Rachel portrayal of Alice been the only good thing in the series. Legends did have something to build on after the first season, the only thing Batwoman more bothered about is how PC it can get before giving us good stories.

You'd be surprised. A show has to be absolutely dreadful (which you can argue Batwoman is) for the CW to cancel it.

Batwoman was flawed from the start. Hopefully this soft reboot will give it a shot in the arm. As krish said, Legends was a bit ropey first season, but was excellent later on.

I would like that to be true, however looking at the quotes around the announcement for the search and then the new lead character; I just think its going to be more of the same as the core goals are wrong (imho)

I don't believe they are setting out to make a good superhero show, they are setting out to make an LGBTQ+ statement and using the DC character/franchise to promote it.

I was hoping there be a silly plot line where there was a mind swap with Kate and Alice and Rachel Skarsten took over as the new Batwoman, and even though I hate the character of Alice and wish she died the other week, Rachel made me feel for the character this week.

I agree, it would have been a nice idea. Rachel done a good job and would like to see her character evolve with better writing and plot. I thought perhaps they could have gotten Jon from Supergirl to do something with her mind to hide the craziness.

The whole thing a veritable crock of *****. I thought that at it's start and I think it now.

I don't believe they are setting out to make a good superhero show, they are setting out to make an LGBTQ+ statement and using the DC character/franchise to promote it.
she's been gay in the comics for about 15 years now

I think he was making the point that the agenda was coming first and foremost 5.1% of American women are gay in this it more like less than half are not gay.
As a reader of the comics I was not surprised that she was going to be gay or have stories involving it but more surprised if they not but they really over egged it.

Garetts post below has nailed my sentiments. I believe that they should write the Superhero aspect first and foremost, that’s the priority, get that correctly nailed on with a good plot, good supporting characters Etc..

I haven’t read a comic book in 30 years so couldn’t tell you what has/hasn’t changed in them and whether somebody is Gay/Bi/Straight makes no odds to me. I’m just wanting a good show that I can invest time in and for me this has fallen way short. in my opinion; The CW has been on a downward trend since becoming woke v2.0, focussing on that as opposed to making great quality entertainment first.

I think he was making the point that the agenda was coming first and foremost 5.1% of American women are gay in this it more like less than half are not gay.
As a reader of the comics I was not surprised that she was going to be gay or have stories involving it but more surprised if they not but they really over egged it.
💯

brand-dark.svg
About our ads

I'm not familiar with this character and I don't have the slightest problem with her sexuality but wasn't she also Jewish? If so that's not something that's come across in the episodes I've seen. The new actress as another Bat Woman would also appear to have been picked based on her sexuality albeit bi in her case. I certainly hope she'll improve the show but I think the problems are mainly down to the scripts and general production style rather than the actors.

Bri

About our a
I'm not familiar with this character and I don't have the slightest problem with her sexuality but wasn't she also Jewish? If so that's not something that's come across in the episodes I've seen. The new actress as another Bat Woman would also appear to have been picked based on her sexuality albeit bi in her case. I certainly hope she'll improve the show but I think the problems are mainly down to the scripts and general production style rather than the actors.

Bri

I think the Jewish aspect has been mentioned once in a flashback in a recent episode, I was quite surprised when it came up as I had no idea show was supposed to be Jewish as it hadnt been mentioned before.

Bri
What ever it is there getting poor performances about of the actors only one that shows any ability is Rachel Skarsten, even Dougray Scott who I generally like is weak in this.

Ghai's take on Safiyah is described as the fiercely protective ruler of a small community on the island of Coryana. A woman with as many enemies as aliases, she is compassionate and charismatic with both physical and psychological prowess. She is beloved by her people and will stop at nothing to protect what’s hers. No one goes unnoticed by Safiyah, specifically when it comes to those who have encountered the Desert Rose.

In the comics, Safiyah is the ruler of a pirate nation called Coryana, who saves Kate Kane's life during the middle of her post-coming-out trip around the world. Kate and Safiyah become lovers, but they ultimately part ways when Kate accidentally carries a deadly disease onto the island, and Safiyah blames it on an innocent man. Years later, Safiyah has become a leader of the Many Arms of Death, a terrorist organization with reach across the world. Kate tracks down Safiyah, who has apparently kidnapped and drugged Beth in order to bring back the "Alice" personality. Alice then becomes the leader of the Many Arms of Death, and Kate and Julia Pennyworth have to stop her.

Safiyah's arrival on Batwoman has been teased almost from the get-go, with Season 1 dropping multiple hints to the Many Arms of Death, culminating in confirmation that both Alice (Rachel Skarsten) and Julia Pennyworth (Christina Wolfe) have had previous dealings with Alice.

Leah Gibson is set to play Tatiana aka “The Whisper.” She is a skilled assassin, unflappable and cold as ice in the face of danger. She is one of Safiyah’s most important henchwomen and still harbours feelings for her powerful boss

Nathan Owens takes the role of Ocean, a zen gardener and thinker with a complicated past. A loyal soldier and fighter, Ocean moves to Gotham looking for a new beginning

200709-javicia-leslie-al-1001_7383ab54039bd9d5c4371d32cddb8729.jpg

first look at Javicia Leslie as Batwoman

Ei0Jz78UwAAU_yA.jpg

Last edited:
EW has exclusively learned that Morf will guest star as DC Comics villain Victor Zsasz in Batwoman season 2. According to the official character description, Zsasz is ″a charismatic, skilled hitman with high, unpredictable energy. He proudly carves tally marks onto his skin for every victim he kills."

since Gotham.

I just saw a scathing Youtube review of this show (haven't watched it) and saw the new Batmobile.

It's a Corvette that you can see has little done to it, so it's a slightly modified Corvette.

I guess the budget ran out. The show looks pretty shockingly poor.

The show does seem a bit snakebit.

It was always going to be a challenge to make a show that doesn't quite fit with rest of the Arrowverse trying to make the main character something other than a gender-morphed Iconic male superhero but to have your lead actress unable to carry the show - let's be fair possibly due to injuries she got trying a stunt - and to have the second season compromised by covid restrictions on filming doesn't bode well.

Full marks to those who made the effort Rachel Skarsten really does stand out as Alice, but so far it's just not good enough.

Which is a pity because if you read the comic books Kate Kane wasn't just a gay character she was a character who was gay.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom