BBC iPlayer fixed on Squeezeboxes

HeadBanger

Prominent Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Defunct thread as BBC iPlayer has been replaced by the BBC Sounds app for LMS

As some of you are aware the BBC has started streaming its live and catch up services in the new DASH and HLS formats which currently won't work on many devices.

BPA has created a version of Triode's original iPlayer plugin that works with the new DASH and HLS formats. To get it you first need ensure that you have 'show all 3rd party plugins' checked and uninstal any existing old versions (by unchecking the plugins and restarting LMS) and add the following URL:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/bpaplugins/repo-short.xml

to the LMS plugins (settings>plugins) additional repository list (right at the bottom of the page). Restart LMS and new versions of BBC iPlayer and BBC iPlayer extras will appear for instal. Click 'enable' and then 'apply' (bottom right) and new working versions of the iPlayers will appear.

In the iPlayer settings select DASH>HLS>MP3>FlashAAC as the preferred stream preference order.

There is also a new beta 1.5.4 version from bpa that adds DASH FLAC for the Proms and also segment info. Add the following URL to the repository links:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/bpaplugins/V154testrelease-repo.xml
This will also update iPlayer Extras too.

Then set DashFlac > DASH as the audio preference in iPlayer settings.

HB

last edited 6/6/2017 updated with bpa's beta 1.5.4 repository link.

Last edited:
Brill thanks for posting HB

As some of you are aware the BBC has started streaming its live and catch up services in the new HLS format which currently doesn't work on many devices.

Triode has an alpha version of his new iPlayer plugin that works and plays the new HLS high quality format.

To get it you need to add
http://triodeplugins.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/testrepo.xml
To the plugins additional repository list in LMS and ensure that you have allow 3rd party plugins checked. Then just restart LMS and a new working alpha version of iPlayer will appear.
Hi HB,

There's already a thread on the subject, which mentions solutions for Squeezeboxes as well as UPnP/DLNA supporting devices:
BBC have broken their internet radio streaming | AVForums

Any chance you could post an update/move this info there?

John

Yeah I saw that but the BBC haven't really broken anything have they? Although LMS can support multiple non-SB devices now by installing other 3rd party plugins I posted this as an update just for SB/LMS users really.

I have added a post there for you.

HB

Last edited:
Hi
I gather that the Squeezebox/BBC iPlayer problem has been fixed but (not being a computer geek) have no idea what to do with the code shown via the link above - or the pages of erudite discussion on the various forums!
Please can someone give me a simple explanation how I can get iPlayer Listen Again on my Squeezebox?
Thanks!

I applied this fix to my Squeezebox Duet running Logitech Media Server Version: 7.8.0 - 1395409907. It works for a variable amount of time of a programme and then stops and displays the usual "file not found" message.

Last edited:
Probably best to post on the thread I linked above.

Here's a picture that might help (I never knew it was so easy to add plug-in repositories)

logitech-triode-bbc-iplayer-plugin-repository.jpg

Thanks @brookheather
I stopped LMS, deleted /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/cache.db
then replaced /var/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/BBCiPlayer/BBCXMLParser.pm with the one utgg posted on 2015-10-28, 19:32 on Squeezebox : Community : Forums
i.e. these diffs

root:BBCiPlayer# diff BBCXMLParser.pm.orig BBCXMLParser.pm
69c69
< KeyAttr => 'type',
---
> KeyAttr => { parent => 'type', link => 'transferformat' },
71c71
< ForceArray => [ 'parent' ]
---
> ForceArray => [ 'parent', 'link' ]
97c97
< $entry->{'url'} = $entry->{'links'}->{'content'};
---
> $entry->{'url'} = $entry->{'links'}->{'hls'}->{'content'};

Then started LMS
The listen again feature now works! (i.e. it no longer says, "Nothing in the playlist") :)

Thanks!

P.S. Oddly it shows Today then Friday, then Thursday etc (i.e. it's missed out yesterday (Saturday) for Radio 1, 2, 3, 4 and I guess all the others too. Edit: Ah, this is only on the Android app, not on the LMS web page.

Last edited:
BPA over at the Squeezeforums has released a patch to support DASH which fixes the listen again.
First you need to uninstal the existing iPlayer. Once uninstalled add this link to the repositories (under the Triode one):

http://raw.githubusercontent.com/bpa-code/bpaplugins/master/repo-short.xml
Edit - this is now been superseded by:
http://triodeplugins.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/testrepo.xml

Hit apply and restart LMS. A new BBC iPlayer 1.4.6 should appear. In the iPlayer settings ensure that the stream preferences for both live and listen again are set to HLS>DASH>MP3>FlashAAC>FlashMP3.

HB

Edit. Actually, setting DASH only for both live and listen again works fine for me. Give it a try.

Last edited:
last edited 04/06/2016 tidied and removed Triode's repository link as these are all now hosted by Logitech.

Hey HeadBanger thanks for the update.
Does that mean we no longer need bpa's additional repository & the version now maintained by Logitech is his/her latest version?
I'm currently on v1.4.7, should this automatically offer an update if one is available?

Cheers, Paul.

Hi Paul,

You still need bpa's version patch if you want to listen to the HQ DASH streams. It is only the Triode repository that needs deleting as it is a dead link - Logitech are now hosting all of his plugins.

You should be offered an update when one becomes available as long as you have the auto update option checked in the plugins page.

Matt

You don't have to download anything it's all done through the LMS settings interface. Take a look at post one again once you have found the LMS settings.

HB

Repository has been updated as googlecode is being withdrawn -

I also installed the modified dash.pm (BBCiPlayer with DASH support - test version - Page 50) to handle longer packet delays from BBC.

Also deleted cache.db just to be sure; some people also suggest setting the DNS on your server hosting LMS to be Google (8.8.8.8) in case your ISP has as slow DNS server.

After LMS restart, this should give you plugins which support DASH -

BBC iPlayer (v1.4.7)
BBC iPlayer Extras (v1.9.3)

This is in the UK, of course. NB I found the stability of live streaming was heavily impacted by my LAN, a streamer on Wi-Fi was dropping out, a wired Touch was fine.

I've added the new URL & iPlayer & Extras report the new versions. But where does dash.pm live? I can't find it anywhere on my LMS on WHS nor can I find a BBCiPlayer directory.

There is a new beta version available.
I have updated my OP with details.

HB

Details of new beta 1.5.4 version from bpa that adds DASH FLAC (Proms only) added to original post.

HB

As some of you are aware the BBC has started streaming its live and catch up services in the new DASH and HLS formats which currently won't work on many devices.

BPA has created a version of Triode's original iPlayer plugin that works with the new DASH and HLS formats. To get it you first need ensure that you have 'show all 3rd party plugins' checked and uninstal any existing old versions (by unchecking the plugins and restarting LMS) and add the following URL:

to the LMS plugins (settings>plugins) additional repository list (right at the bottom of the page). Restart LMS and new versions of BBC iPlayer and BBC iPlayer extras will appear for instal. Click 'enable' and then 'apply' (bottom right) and new working versions of the iPlayers will appear.

In the iPlayer settings select DASH>HLS>MP3>FlashAAC as the preferred stream preference order.

There is also a new beta 1.5.4 version from bpa that adds DASH FLAC for the Proms and also segment info. Add the following URL to the repository links:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/bpaplugins/V154testrelease-repo.xml
This will also update iPlayer Extras too.

Then set DashFlac > DASH as the audio preference in iPlayer settings.

HB

last edited 6/6/2017 updated with bpa's beta 1.5.4 repository link.
Brilliant - just wanted to say thank you for extending the life of my Squeezebox it is very welcome

No problem at all - I’m just the messenger here though. All credit to bpa over at the SB forums who has kept the BBC iPlayer alive and added FLAC support.

HB

Does anyone know if the Beeb have any intention of providing permanent FLAC streams soon, now that the R3 FLAC trial has ended?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom