BBC's Dracula Season 1 Review

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks the review cas. Hopefully will kick start this tonight!

I enjoyed this, despite feeling like ep3 missed it's mark.
After an excellent first 2 episodes, it seemed a bit lost, struggling to move the narrative along.
Still very much worth a watch though.

Yes enjoyed the first two episodes, but the final one really left me cold. I could see what the writers were trying to do but I didn’t care enough about any of the characters involved and it was a bit of a slow process getting to the end of the episode.

First two episodes were brilliant. 3 was a bit of let down...agree with 8/10 assessment.

Thanks Cas, have episode 1 on the sky planner so been looking forward to getting into this. Having said that for those who have access it would appear that the US have this on Netflix in 4K with DV.

Thanks Cas, have episode 1 on the sky planner so been looking forward to getting into this. Having said that for those who have access it would appear that the US have this on Netflix in 4K with DV.

You can watch it on your B8 I-player App in 4K HLG.

Thought I may hate this adaptation in an old fashioned re telling of the story going by the trailer . Whilst old fashioned Dracula in style the writing though is not old fashioned and a welcome change of charecter . It's very welcome and works well in what is still the horror classic taste from the Beeb. I loved it i must say , stangly familier but a kick of something different .

Watched on I player in 4K HLG its a fantastic blast , from various pasts .

Van helsing in this, much like past attempts steals the show .

One can certainly see that the writers are enamoured by the myth and legions of Dracula .

‘De Palma's Dracula worked wonders to get around this, essentially repositioning the villain as more of an anti-hero, which helped with the woefully insipid character of Harker; a paltry protagonist (even before Keanu Reeves' portrayal) to endure until Van Helsing makes his appearance.’

We can only dream that De Palma made a version of Dracula. Great review Cas.

‘De Palma's Dracula worked wonders to get around this, essentially repositioning the villain as more of an anti-hero, which helped with the woefully insipid character of Harker; a paltry protagonist (even before Keanu Reeves' portrayal) to endure until Van Helsing makes his appearance.’

We can only dream that De Palma made a version of Dracula. Great review Cas.

Heh, that's probably my internal prejudice after his comments on Marvel movies. I remember being so annoyed. I tried to think of the last time he made a decent movie, and came up with Dracula, from way back in '92. These grumpy old (admittedly once genius) auteurs all sound the same to me now.

Just watched Episode 1 - was engrossed from beginning to end! I’ve never heard of Claes Bang - apart from making cool AV gear - but he strikes just the right balance of charisma and malice. Likewise, no prior knowledge of Dolly Wells from anything else but she makes for a worthy opponent to the Count.

Decent production and effects for a made for TV series - the sound design inside Dracula’s castle is great.

I might even watch Sherlock if this is anything to go by. :D

We just finished watching this. It's really good. We both thoroughly enjoyed it. The actor who plays Dracula really reminded me of Christopher Lee in a lot of ways.

Have to say that a 4K Atmos disc of this would be most welcome . Certainly the best of traditional TV series over the Crimbo / new year period .

Could certainly watch again and enjoy , maybe due to what I thought was a poor Scrooge adaptation that this shines .

For those unaware, this is available in UHD via BBC i-player. HLG on some TVs.
Just watched the series on my LG E6 via BBC iPlayer in HLG which made it more enjoyable.

A lot of fun for fans of the character too with so many references to previous adaptations of Dracula.
A Christopher Lee bite
A Bela Lugosi costume
Some very Gary Oldman moments (and sun glasses)
Playing spot the easter egg was almost as much fun as watching the story itself.

Episodes 1&2 were superb, probably the best I’ve seen on tv for a while. 3rd episode was a real let down for me. Great performances, Dolly Wells and Claes Bang were fantastic.

We loved it all! A great, imaginative adaptation with a superb Dracula and an excellent Van Helsing. More please BEEB!

Didn't know it was available in 4K HLG. The Beeb kept that quiet. I watched it in standard HD and found it a bit of a hard slog to be honest so don't think I'll bother watching it all over again. Another 4 and a half hours out of my life is far too much.

Didn't know it was available in 4K HLG. The Beeb kept that quiet. I watched it in standard HD and found it a bit of a hard slog to be honest so don't think I'll bother watching it all over again. Another 4 and a half hours out of my life is far too much.
The strange thing is I watched the first two in HD also and then the following day I saw all three episodes listed on BBC iplayer as UHD and were flagged HLG which got me very excited to watch and yes the extra detail and definition made viewing exceptional. I will rewatch due to that matter. I think we all wish BBC would produce a lot more UHD programming.

The strange thing is I watched the first two in HD also and then the following day I saw all three episodes listed on BBC iplayer as UHD and were flagged HLG which got me very excited to watch and yes the extra detail and definition made viewing exceptional. I will rewatch due to that matter. I think we all wish BBC would produce a lot more UHD programming.

It was a co-production with Netflix. I doubt they'd have been happy had the BBC produced it in their usual ultra low end picture and audio quality. We still can't hear the 5.1 track though, that will remain a Netflix exclusive unavailable to UK viewers.

It was a co-production with Netflix. I doubt they'd have been happy had the BBC produced it in their usual ultra low end picture and audio quality. We still can't hear the 5.1 track though, that will remain a Netflix exclusive unavailable to UK viewers.
Odd thing speaking about Netflix as I can see Dracula listed on my Android App for Netflix but it is not available to play and on my LG OLED App for Netflix it is not searchable 🤔

I can get it hdr , but not with 5.1 sound. I'm hoping it will be released on Netflix with dolby vision and Dolby atmos .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom