BBC's His Dark Materials Season 1 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
BBC are only broadcasting it (Freeview HD) in Stereo. Not 5.1 Digital.

I’ve asked them why, but no response yet.

I think BBC/HBO have knocked it out the park on this one. I'm really enjoying the series so far - and future episodes have armored bears - what else do you want. So I would be more generous in my scoring for this - a solid 8.5 for me - George

The only way to get 5.1 and 1080p hd is via HBO now streaming on Apple TV. That’s what I now do. Also watching watchmen through that.

The only way to get 5.1 and 1080p hd is via HBO now streaming on Apple TV. That’s what I now do. Also watching watchmen through that.

The BBC do broadcast some programmes on Freeview HD in 5.1 Digital, but there are far fewer programmes in 5.1 compared with several years ago.

Seems odd, when the programme is a BBC co-production and it’s available in 5.1 on other services.

Regards,
James.

Thanks for the Review Cas. Good to hear that this remake is an improvement on the film :)

I'm loving this. Barring tiny little details, it's pretty much like the producers looked inside my head!

I'm loving this. Barring tiny little details, it's pretty much like the producers looked inside my head!
Careful what you think of, then! :)
tumblr_na5su8pLyl1s0teago3_r1_400.gif

I started watching this last night on sky but found the visual quality to be very poor.
Mot sure if thats because it was the on-demand download bit. maybe the live broadcast is better.

I started watching this last night on sky but found the visual quality to be very poor.
Mot sure if thats because it was the on-demand download bit. maybe the live broadcast is better.
We did too - the audio was also very poor (streamed off iPlayer via SkyQ)

We did too - the audio was also very poor (streamed off iPlayer via SkyQ)
Didnt think of using iplayer but did you find it very grainy and when the camera panned the image would smudge? almost blurry?

Didnt think of using iplayer but did you find it very grainy and when the camera panned the image would smudge? almost blurry?
I didn't really notice that, but I was too busy trying to adjust the volume levels so I could hear the speaking over the music! Will keep an eye out for it when we watch more tonight.

With this and Seven Worlds and War of the Worlds there's the strange situation of there being 3 things on the BBC I'm interested in watching - and at the same time and not just 3 over a year - amazing,

Although most episodes of Seven Worlds are UHD I'm stuck on 720p two channel audio iplayer for other stuff - the technical comparison with what the new streaming services are offering is stark.

BBC are only broadcasting it (Freeview HD) in Stereo. Not 5.1 Digital.

I’ve asked them why, but no response yet.
I contacted The BBC a few weeks ago about the stereo sound. Not had a reply so don't hold your breath.
I was speaking a few weeks ago with one of the shows audio engineers who did not even realise the UK was getting it in stereo. He told me if I wanted 5.1, I would need to watch on HBO. Really poor from the BBC if you ask me.

But they have added bits to the story (apparently to tie in better with The Book of Dust?) which distracts, and then they have altered major plot points too.

Without talking about details, I feel showing others doing things first (that Lyra did first in the book) lessens the impact when 'we' do it with Lyra. She is our protagonist, leading us through the story. These special things should happen to her first, so we get to learn about them 'first-hand' with her. It also allows the story to build more naturally as we gradually find out about different aspects of the world.

Or am I mis-remembering the books?

Watched the 2nd episode last night. Getting more into it now, but I have to say I find Lyra a pretty naff actor I'm afraid. Spoiling it a little for me.

Im finding this a little hard going. Doesnt seem to be holding my attention particularly well :(

But they have added bits to the story (apparently to tie in better with The Book of Dust?) which distracts, and then they have altered major plot points too.

Without talking about details, I feel showing others doing things first (that Lyra did first in the book) lessens the impact when 'we' do it with Lyra. She is our protagonist, leading us through the story. These special things should happen to her first, so we get to learn about them 'first-hand' with her. It also allows the story to build more naturally as we gradually find out about different aspects of the world.

Or am I mis-remembering the books?

No, you're remembering right! Things like the reveal the other week weren't anywhere near the place we are currently. BUT, in terms of the feel, the look, the Daemons, are pretty much exactly how I pictured them.

Okay, so I;m recording this with Sky. Sat down last night to watch it but couldn't face it. Thinknig differently now. However, I loved the first book, read long ago, and have just bought the complete trilogy. Dilemma - do I read the books first and then actually watch it? Or just go for it?

Dear  Mr xxxxxxx

Thank you for watching ‘His Dark Materials’ and for taking the time to get in touch with us.

It is disappointing to learn that you had some concerns with the sound in the drama. As a broadcaster we always ensure that the sound levels and the sound mix we put out are within accepted levels. All our programmes are monitored to try and ensure even sound quality and there should be no problems with sound that will harm a viewer’s enjoyment of the programme. We have had guidelines in place for programme makers to help with this, but it is inevitably difficult to cater for all different televisions, sound systems, and environments that exist.

We are pleased to inform you that a Dolby 5.1 mix will be made available for all forthcoming broadcasts of ‘His Dark Materials’ on BBC1 HD. If your television and/or sound system supports Dolby 5.1 then this should provide a richer sound experience. We will also continue to monitor the standard stereo broadcast for forthcoming episodes, and we can assure you that your comments have been passed on to the programme makers.

We hope this helps and that you continue to watch and enjoy the drama.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

BBC Complaints Team
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

Please note: this email is sent from an unmonitored address so please don’t reply. If necessary please contact us through our webform (please include your case reference number).

Dear  Mr xxxxxxx

Thank you for watching ‘His Dark Materials’ and for taking the time to get in touch with us.

It is disappointing to learn that you had some concerns with the sound in the drama. As a broadcaster we always ensure that the sound levels and the sound mix we put out are within accepted levels. All our programmes are monitored to try and ensure even sound quality and there should be no problems with sound that will harm a viewer’s enjoyment of the programme. We have had guidelines in place for programme makers to help with this, but it is inevitably difficult to cater for all different televisions, sound systems, and environments that exist.

We are pleased to inform you that a Dolby 5.1 mix will be made available for all forthcoming broadcasts of ‘His Dark Materials’ on BBC1 HD. If your television and/or sound system supports Dolby 5.1 then this should provide a richer sound experience. We will also continue to monitor the standard stereo broadcast for forthcoming episodes, and we can assure you that your comments have been passed on to the programme makers.

We hope this helps and that you continue to watch and enjoy the drama.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

BBC Complaints Team
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

Please note: this email is sent from an unmonitored address so please don’t reply. If necessary please contact us through our webform (please include your case reference number).

I logged the same complaint (about lack of 5.1 Digital Audio), the BBC have allocated me a case reference number and apologised that my complaint is taking longer than expected to investigate.

It’ll be interesting to see if new episodes are now broadcast in 5.1 Digital Audio.

Regards,
James.

Watched the 3rd episode last night and really enjoyed that one, it's grabbed me now.

Really fancy the evil lady now too :laugh:

Your reviews are always excellent @Casimir Harlow, including this one.

But I have to say I’m a little unsure about the putting up of “Season” reviews when only a portion of episodes (often less than half) are available. I guess they should be taken as “organic”, leveraging their online nature, rather than in print. And I know you do update them as new episodes are released. As an aside I’m genuinely curious if this has ever led to a score change? In any case, a small suggestion: would it be worth coming up with a standard snippet of text/text box to explain the above and include in all these pre-all episode/evolving reviews?

Back on topic - it was a great review :). I loved the books and my wife and I are digging this so far.:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom