Bed Orientation

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am now redecorating a bedroom having finally replaced the 30 year old radiator with a brand new one which gives of vastly more heat :)
Had to lift old wrecked carpet and some floorboard sections for new pipework etc etc.

Anyway.............

I was going to put a double bed in, but that's most of the space then take up, so now thinking a Single will be just more practical and easier to deal with.
As I do like space in a room I've been thinking about putting this future single bed with it's side against a wall to leave space in the room.
The old, and more normal idea would of course be the headboard against the wall.
Which I can do, and then you just have the bed taking up the middle of the room, with space either side of the bed.

Due to window/radiator/build in wardrobe positioning this would mean the bed would be in the middle of the wall and not pushed into either corner.

I've dragged a spare mattress into the two locations I'm considering in, and would appreciate your thoughts.

I assume if I were to go with the 'side of the bed against the wall' approach then you can get bedframe designs that don't have a top/bottom/headboard as such, as it would look weight with a headboard at one end.

Normal? Layout - bed taking up the room:

8705e51c2ba36b5b0e3d9326d983bdd3.jpg

Alternative layout, bed against wall, leaving usable space in the room:

f002a3cc41511220e84b5d9b3632d26d.jpg

I don't have a huge experience of other people's bedrooms, but all the single beds I can remember in my life were always up against a wall.

There may have been a few hotel rooms that had them with both sides accessible but I'd expect that to be as much for accessibility reasons as anything else.

Plenty of bed frame styles available without headboards and footboards. If you want to maximise practicality then perhaps a side opening ottoman divan base?

Thanks. That's good to know, and a great suggestion.
I'd either have drawers, but experience had told me, very often drawers etc are a bit of the flimsy side, so a bed on legs with plastic storage containers underneath works very well.

Yes, that was my thinking. A bed without an obvious top and bottom design, but have to be something to stop the pillow sliding off onto the floor!

If it's a spare room why not get a sofa bed, or a futon? Even less space wasted then.

I'll admit, I have thought about doing this.
It's something to consider. This could be the spare bedroom, but in reality this would probably be better as the main one and the current bedroom becoming the spare.

Still, It's a good idea, and worth thinking about. As long as it's not a hell of a job to convert the sofa into a bed.

Thanks, that does look good and I could do that.
Wonder what they wall colour is, as that's what I have in mind.
Bought some paint today but taking an unopened tin back as it's not looking right.

have to be something to stop the pillow sliding off onto the floor!

I have a bed without headboard and I've never found that to be a problem.

Are you quite tall perhaps? If so then maybe consider a longer bed. You can get european singles pretty easily in the UK these days, which are the same width but longer than a traditional single.

Have you considered a pull down bed?

Not really. That generally would vanish into some wall system and I already have built in wardrobes in two other areas.
Good idea though, just not something I'm looking for this time :)

I have a bed without headboard and I've never found that to be a problem.

Are you quite tall perhaps? If so then maybe consider a longer bed. You can get european singles pretty easily in the UK these days, which are the same width but longer than a traditional single.

Yes, I'm pretty tall, so feet will end up out the bottom!
Which isn't terrible, but it just means I can't have a bed with a board at the bottom as my feet would press against it. ;)
I've heard about the longer beds, thanks for reminding me.

"Just a few extra inches would make a big difference"

I imagine getting bedding etc, then a mattress becomes more of an issue?
All more expensive as it's non-standard?

Bought 2 tins of paint yesterday, but decided I didn't like it, bit of a dead flesh look once on the wall.
Took ages, but finally decided on something much more warmer which is what I want, and will blend better into some dark wood and gold already in the room. Also dark enough so that when I put white/beige things on, they should pop quite nicely in contrast.

The one on the left was the one I took back. It almost looks grey in the photo, but there is some pink in it.

7e9836da6adf89a449fc2c4503e82b74.jpg

What the driftwood looks like in the advert:

8155c24316a5f72dc1a6e5053ad32bb1.png

The Cookie Dough I'm going with is going to be more warm :)

b078aa8f75c130117573685d5f1c90c3.png

Like many others, we did some redecorating during lockdown. My wife and daughter bought a few tester pots before making the final decision.
Once finished, we gave my daughter free reign with the tester pots and a blank canvas. I think it turned out pretty well.

IMG_20201027_124915.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom