beginners guitar player thread

If you're happy with mono then yes. If it were me I'd get the proper cable, both for stereo & to reduce the possibility of damage to the 3.5mm socket. The adapter + 1/4" jack body with stick out a fair way increasing potential strain on the socket, especially if it gets knocked or the lead trodden on. Also bear in mine the Aux input for the Amplifi is on the back, so you'll need it well away from the wall. Although how much of an issue that is depends on which model you have.
I didn't think about that thanks, I just wanted to try it out really, to see if it was any better than though the Katana, if it was a big improvement I was going to purchase a proper FRFR cab.

But you've give me food for thought now, for the sake of a £11 I might purchase it. Thanks.

Just ordered some new nano webs for my acoustic...
Tried buying through 'wish' as some very good prices were coming up...a fiver !......kept going up to 11 quid after adding to basket ..then £2 postage.

They did have some good prices ..especially for the 3 pack of nano webs for electric.think they might have been 11 quid ?

They do take the Micheal with postage though...2 packs..£2 each for postage

Ended up getting some on the bay

First thing I've bought guitar wise in ages

He's a bit reluctant now, well so am I really.

have'nt gassed for anything for ages..

....i'm between houses at the mo and living out of a bag....just got my tele and the yamaha thr10c

....and pedals handy.....less is more ass they say

would'nt mind another tele...in a certain sixties/seventies finish....basically sandy coloured with a rosewood fret board

...trouble is the fender ones only seem to be available as originals

...think the last one i saw was a few grand !

seen an original 60's squire...only £14,000!

Last edited:
talking of less is more...beings nearly everything i have is packed away in various places...including all my hi-fi...ive just been using an echo dot with amazon music

really handy to play along to songs.......just tell 'alexa' to play it and away you go.......no looking it up.and all hands free so you're ready to play

Yeah, that’s very useful.

Apparently, you can set up the Waza Air so that you can tell Alexa to play something and it plays on the Wazas. Not figured that out yet.

It’s a pain to try and start something on Spotify on your phone and then get into position to play it, especially if it goes immediately into the guitar part.

Must admit I find it great for that...don't know why I didn't think of it sooner...
my daughter got me one .....wasnt expecting much but the sound quality was a surprise.

Currently tempted to go for the next one up..the echo plus..think they're about 50 odd quid ...

Don't know if its worth the upgrade over the normal dot

Got a feeling it's more geared to controlling light bulbs and the like

Last edited:
I’ve got the ordinary Echo, the speaker is surprisingly decent in it.

We do use It to control the lights in our lounge and porch. Handy for having the lights come on when we get home in the winter and to turn themselves off if we go out and forget.

More Often than not though, it’s easier to change the lights with the Hue app on my phone then trying to get Alexa to actually understand and then do what you want done.

...well there's now a gen 3 plus...which is meant to have better speakers and bass....but not some of the controling stuff of the gen 2...which wouldn't really bother me.....unless I could get alexa to make the tea

..yeah found myself swearing at Alexa a few times !

'Play again' ....often gets a reply of...'right let's play a game ' :facepalm:

I love my Alexa's around the house, have one downstairs and one in the bedroom. Turns our lights on and off 99% of the time from voice, I have it set up with Hive for heating, we turn that on with our voices too.

Little daughter come into the bedroom the other morning and shouted at to watch you tube, and it turned the tv on and fired up YT, I didn't know it could to that. We have fire tv on the bedroom tv, and it's linked to that.
Great for ringing the in laws too and talking to them through it.
It's endless the things it can do.

On another note, I've got my cable for the Amplifi with the Headrush and it sounds great.

I might buy the Laney frfr now.
This should sound even better.

Morning all,

Been on here for nearly 20 years and still finding new areas of the forum to ask questions in :D

My 16 year old is teaching himself guitar off YouTube videos etc. He has an old acoustic thing that we bought him for school lessons ten years ago, and of course he would like something better.

I have no musical ability or knowledge, hence asking you chaps the question: what's a good electric guitar to pick up for a beginner ? Is a package a good thing to get (ie with amp etc) ?

There are so many options out there it would be really useful to get some thoughts on where to start.

Budget: dunno really, maybe up to £200 ? Not sure what these things cost so a bit unsure.

Cheers
Stu

Probably never been a better time to buy a cheap guitar. Yamaha Pacifica 112 was always the go to but the likes of budget Fender Squier & Epiphone are decent these days. As always buying used will give the best value but risky buying privately if neither of you know what to look for. Take him to a store to try a few, preferably one with a good used selection.

I'd avoid a package as the amps tend to do little more than make a noise, but that may be enough to start. Always plenty of cheap amps on Facebook Marketplace & less risk with those. If they work when you buy then will probably carry on doing so. Something with a headphone socket ideally.

As for learning, a structured path is better than random YouTube videos. Justin Guitar is free & worth a look with materials to buy to supplement the online courses. Or there's Rocksmith, another new area for you!

Last edited:
agree...personally i''d go second hand and but like mentioned can be a very daunting to a novice

like above...go into a shop and try a few in your budget and get some pointers from the shop guys...never met one that wont be helpful

i dont use facebook myself but i bought an amp off a guy a while back who buys a bit off there and was showing me...some bargains to be had on the market place

could always get a few basic pointers to look out for from you tube or somewhere...its not rocket science once you've been shown a few things to watch out for.....i'd say 90% of the time the guitar will just need a basic set up

guitar players tend to be a helpful bunch and the chances of being ripped off are pretty slim i'd say

good luck with it all

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys, there's a few shops in Brum so we'll take a ride over there at some point for some advice and to see what they have. I've pointed him to the learning resources you pointed out as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom