BenQ TK850 4K DLP Projector Review & Comments

Thanks for the review, Phil.

I don't know about everyone else, but every time I read the words 'pixel shift technology' I just switch off. Maybe it's just me, but personally I'm just not interested in projector technology until true 4k resolution becomes more affordable. Whilst I really want to invest in a projector, until that point comes around, I'll just stick with OLED.

I don't know about everyone else, but every time I read the words 'pixel shift technology' I just switch off. Maybe it's just me, but personally I'm just not interested in projector technology until true 4k resolution becomes more affordable. Whilst I really want to invest in a projector, until that point comes around, I'll just stick with OLED.

They have (at the moment at least) completely different use cases so I don't see your point. At a "sensible" price point
  • Projectors do big and cinematic.
  • OLED does true 4k, HDR and proper black
You CAN do big and cinematic on OLED and you CAN do HDR, 4K and black on projector but you pay a massive premium on each.

In the mean time though you're HUGELY missing out. Pixel shift or not, 4k is pretty much irrelevant on a projector screen as you simply don't sit close enough for it to make all that much difference. From all the testing that's been done, in practice you also can't tell the difference between faux 4k and "real" 4k either, so there is that.

G

They have (at the moment at least) completely different use cases so I don't see your point. At a "sensible" price point
  • Projectors do big and cinematic.
  • OLED does true 4k, HDR and proper black
You CAN do big and cinematic on OLED and you CAN do HDR, 4K and black on projector but you pay a massive premium on each.

In the mean time though you're HUGELY missing out. Pixel shift or not, 4k is pretty much irrelevant on a projector screen as you simply don't sit close enough for it to make all that much difference. From all the testing that's been done, in practice you also can't tell the difference between faux 4k and "real" 4k either, so there is that.

G

I totally agree.

I’ve got a Benq W2700 and a 100” screen with a 65” LG C9 OLED behind it.

Both combined cost me less than the 77” C9 would have done, and there is still a big difference in immersion levels between 77” and 100” anyway.

If I had more space, I’d probably have gone for a 120” screen.

I wouldn’t want to be without either, although the LG is a bit wasted as 90% of the viewing in that room is done on the projector.

There are various types of pixel shifting though. I believe some models only shift once, so doubling the pixels shown on screen, but the XPR DLP such as in the Benqs actually display all of the pixels in a 4K image - they just don't do it all at once. Any loss of sharpness is more likely due to the optics than the display chip. The DLP devices also don't show all the colours at once, but you still see them all. At least once every 1/60 or 1/24 of a second all the pixels and all the colours are projected onto the screen.It works because the human eye is what it is and unless you have superhuman eyes you won't see the difference. I can say from personal experience of my W2700 that a well mastered 4K image shows clearly more detail than the equivalent 1080p source.

HDR is wasted on pixel shifting projectors better to just have, pixel shifting and leave out HDR all together

After reading your full review, I think it should get an overall 6 instead of 7. Because
  • You guys have given 8 to Epson TW9400 for Contrast/Dynamic Range/Black levels and TK850 gets a 7? Are blacks and contrast or Dynamic Rangethat good although you mentioned with
    • Dark grey black levels
    • Crushed blacks
  • Or how could it have 8 for Picture Quality Calibrated same as the W2700 which is HDR capable unlike this TK850?
I can understand that this projector's scope is something else other than home theatre/cinema but still thinking that you are overrating it right now.

BTW I think HDR is wasted on small oled screens ... It is a preference to have best picture quality on a small screen or have a nice picture which is 3 times bigger (lg c9 77" vs 135" screen PJ => 75% larger diagonal, 207% larger area) and I don't mention affordability yet.

After reading your full review, I think it should get an overall 6 instead of 7. Because
  • You guys have given 8 to Epson TW9400 for Contrast/Dynamic Range/Black levels and TK850 gets a 7? Are blacks and contrast or Dynamic Rangethat good although you mentioned with
    • Dark grey black levels
    • Crushed blacks
  • Or how could it have 8 for Picture Quality Calibrated same as the W2700 which is HDR capable unlike this TK850?
I can understand that this projector's scope is something else other than home theatre/cinema but still thinking that you are overrating it right now.
As I try to make very clear in the review, the TK850 is scored against what it is supposed to do and if it fulfils its core requirements. It is not a home cinema projector, which is clearly mentioned a number of times, so as a reader you know what we are talking about.

I would prefer not to have the scores in reviews, as you really should read what it is like. If after reading you feel it's a 6 then I don't have an issue with that, as you have read the review and hopefully drawn your conclusions from the information presented.

As for blacks, the scoring is when presented with other models at the price point, which are all lacking in some way. The TK850 is slightly better here than the TK810 and is scored as such. It would be silly to judge it against a D-ILA for example at eight times the cost for example, which I think most readers, including yourself, understand.

The W2700 is not HDR capable either, it is compatible. No projectors at these prices points have the steps of dynamic range required for true HDR playback.

As I try to make very clear in the review, the TK850 is scored against what it is supposed to do and if it fulfils its core requirements. It is not a home cinema projector, which is clearly mentioned a number of times, so as a reader you know what we are talking about.

I would prefer not to have the scores in reviews, as you really should read what it is like. If after reading you feel it's a 6 then I don't have an issue with that, as you have read the review and hopefully drawn your conclusions from the information presented.

As for blacks, the scoring is when presented with other models at the price point, which are all lacking in some way. The TK850 is slightly better here than the TK810 and is scored as such. It would be silly to judge it against a D-ILA for example at eight times the cost for example, which I think most readers, including yourself, understand.

The W2700 is not HDR capable either, it is compatible. No projectors at these prices points have the steps of dynamic range required for true HDR playback.

Thanks for the review Phil.

So what would be your choice then Phil the W2700 or the TK850?

I bought a BenQ TK850 last week and having some issues with it. I posted the question in its own thread here with some screenshots but ive had no replies yet (perhaps i posted in the wrong area, im new around here).

Is someone able to help? Its really stopping me from enjoying the product.

I've noticed Benq tk850 isn't handling 23.976hz content very well ie frame dropped every 40 ish seconds. On doing a bit of research I found this.
Colour Wheel Speed
2D: 96Hz; 100Hz; 120Hz

3D: 120Hz
So 96hz is great for 24hz video, 4x24= 96. But 4x23.976= 95.904, hence a frame dropped every 40 seconds,
Am I correct in this? Would love to hear from someone with more knowledge than me..

Hello.

I’m wondering if anyone else had found that their tk850 fan was louder than the advertised 30db and if on top of that they hear the “high c” pitch that, to my ears, makes it almost unusable?

I’ve had mine for about a month and no matter what setting it’s on, including silent mode, it has the high pitched sound.

I’m wondering if it’s a factory defect or just the fact that it’s a small projector, which means a small fan, which naturally means it’s much louder than the larger projectors.

Hello.

I’m wondering if anyone else had found that their tk850 fan was louder than the advertised 30db and if on top of that they hear the “high c” pitch that, to my ears, makes it almost unusable?

I’ve had mine for about a month and no matter what setting it’s on, including silent mode, it has the high pitched sound.

I’m wondering if it’s a factory defect or just the fact that it’s a small projector, which means a small fan, which naturally means it’s much louder than the larger projectors.
I have mine on economy and it's hardly noticeable even though it's above our heads, granted we have 10 foot high ceilings. I would say yours is faulty.

I have mine on economy and it's hardly noticeable even though it's above our heads, granted we have 10 foot high ceilings. I would say yours is faulty.
Thanks.
Mine is also on economy mode, and it doesn’t change the noise level. I guess I’ll try to exchange it on warrantee.

Thanks.
Mine is also on economy mode, and it doesn’t change the noise level. I guess I’ll try to exchange it on warrantee.

I made a video of my W2700 a while ago to show the difference with the pixel shift on and off. Not that much really, and the video even exaggerates the fan noise (This was normal light setting, Eco is better). So if you hear anything other than this, like a high pitch tone, that’s probably the colour wheel, and it is a defect.

I made a video of my W2700 a while ago to show the difference with the pixel shift on and off. Not that much really, and the video even exaggerates the fan noise (This was normal light setting, Eco is better). So if you hear anything other than this, like a high pitch tone, that’s probably the colour wheel, and it is a defect.

That’s exactly it. In the video I have to listen closely to hear the high pitched tone but if it’s like mine it’s much more noticeable in person. great to know that it is likely a defect. Hopefully I’m able to exchange it.

That’s exactly it. In the video I have to listen closely to hear the high pitched tone but if it’s like mine it’s much more noticeable in person. great to know that it is likely a defect. Hopefully I’m able to exchange it.
Just to be clear, mine is about the same as every other previous DLP I have owned, and I consider this normal. The very high pitch whine you can hear in the video is not audible in person, that’s just an effect of the phone mic. The video was to show the sound the pixel shift makes when Silent mode is turned on/off, and on my unit there is very little difference, while some people reported a very loud buzz when the pixel shift is on. The TK850 is brighter than the W2700 though, and it is possible the fans run a bit faster.

Update: BenQ is going to replace it. Coincidentally another issue just started up, where half the screen is much darker than the other half. It may be related I would guess, both stemming from the colour wheel.

Update: BenQ is going to replace it. Coincidentally another issue just started up, where half the screen is much darker than the other half. It may be related I would guess, both stemming from the colour wheel.
My W2700 briefly had the split screen issue - a firmware update fixed that, then other stuff went wrong with it.

Hi there
I have the TK850 and I'm getting the white spots on my screen so need to get a new DMD Chip. Can anyone tell me which one I need as I have a bad back and do not wish to take my projector down from the ceiling until the moment I am able to replace it?

Hi there
I have the TK850 and I'm getting the white spots on my screen so need to get a new DMD Chip. Can anyone tell me which one I need as I have a bad back and do not wish to take my projector down from the ceiling until the moment I am able to replace it?
How old is the PJ? (warranty!?)

How old is the PJ? (warranty!?)
The PJ is not yet a year old (still under warranty). However, I'm in Perth, West Australia and have been told by the BenQ Service Centre here that if I take it in I will take them at least two weeks before they can replace the part, possibly longer. I cannot do that as it is currently my only means of watching anything, and although the spots are there, I am very willing to put up with it until the chip is replaced.
I'm not willing to take it in somewhere and wait and wait for them to replace the chip!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom