BenQ W2700 4K DLP Projector Review & Comments

My W5700 has just suffered the same issue after only 340hrs use - BenQ Australia tell me that the DMD chip (lots of micro mirrors) is knackered and needs replacing.

Not sure what the situation is there but here there are none available due to the worldwide chip shortage - I know someone who has the same fault with a W2700 that has been waiting 6+ months to get his replaced. ☹️

Mine is right in the middle of the screen.
9BD335DD-4558-44F4-A6FC-5B2450D27970.jpeg

Could be a stuck pixel on the DMD chip. If it's still under warranty contact Benq support ASAP.

My W5700 has just suffered the same issue after only 340hrs use - BenQ Australia tell me that the DMD chip (lots of micro mirrors) is knackered and needs replacing.

Not sure what the situation is there but here there are none available due to the worldwide chip shortage - I know someone who has the same fault with a W2700 that has been waiting 6+ months to get his replaced. ☹️

Not a good sign. TI make all the underlying DLP hardware including the DMD and associated control chips. The vendors obviously design a chassis, PSU, light path and do their own software and calibrations.
Different projectors use different versions of the chip. I recently had to return my X3000i and it took a couple of weeks, but that uses a newer DMD.

@Regtastical
Most likely a dead pixel. Same thing happened to mine. If it's under warranty you're fine. DMD chip will need replacing, contact Benq customer service. 6-10 days to repair.

A white dot has appeared on the screen, any idea what this is and what I should do to fix it? Lamp time is about 1400 hours.

View attachment 1782640
EDIT: serves me right for not reading all the subsequent posts!

I have one too. I read somewhere that the mirrors in the DLP chip can get stuck and, generally, the only repair is to replace the DLP.

I’ve not bothered yet as mine is towards the top left and I ignore it most of the time, but would be interested to know if a repair is not too expensive (and who can do it)…

A white dot has appeared on the screen, any idea what this is and what I should do to fix it? Lamp time is about 1400 hours.

View attachment 1782640
It's probably a stuck pixel, but a bit of dust is still possible. To confirm if it's a single pixel, try activating Silent mode. This turns off the 'wobble' of the DMD and makes the pixel structure more visible. If it looks a bit fuzzy in silent, then it could just be dust in the lens, so try a blower or something. Otherwise, warranty claim, or expensive repair unfortunately.

thought I'd have a quick update.... only been over a year and half on my last post :)

that DAMNED 4K fan noise - that appears for any 4K UHD disc or 2160p file - just turning of HDR10 in the setting beforehand and leaving it in 'silent' mode' is my only option. The louder noise it just too much

Granted - 'what' does HDR10 'add' to the projected image ??

When it detects an HDR signal it defaults to the HDR10 picture mode and greys out controls you are not able to adjust when using HDR content.

I'm not that fussy to worry so much about HDR

When you activate silent mode, that turns off the Pixel shifter which allows it to display 4K. It’s not specifically related to HDR, but for HDR sources, Silent mode is not available.

Also when you play a movie the frame rate changes to 24Hz so the pitch of the wheel and pixel shifter will change.

On mine the fan noise is much louder than the pixel shift, which is just a low humming sound, I can barely notice it and I sit directly underneath the projector. Silent mode is very little different, if I listen for it I can tell, but it’s not much. The effect of Silent on the image is more noticeable as you are only displaying a 1080p image instead of 4K and the pixel grid is more visible.

Someone asked this a while ago and I made a short vid where I turn Silent mode on and off to show the sound of the pixel shifter. The click at about 10 secs is where I turn off Silent mode.

If you hear a loud buzzing sound in HDR10, that has to be a faulty unit. If you have any warranty left, get it looked at.

I got the dead pixel fixed, was without the projector for about 2 months mind you!

Got it back, not sure if its my eyes or not, but it doesn't appear to be not as bright as it used to be. I'm thinking about buying a new bulb, it has 1500 hrs on the clock (I run it on eco-mode), how many hours should I realistic be waiting before buying a replacement bulb?

Apologies if this has been asked before, but has anyone come across a problem where the projector turns on, but neither the map or the fan engage, it just sits there doing nothing?

I've just returned from a week away and I turned the projector off at the main before I went (it's normally left in standby 24/7 when not in use). Nothing else has changed.

When I turn the power on, I get the usual combination of orange power LED and green power button. When I press the power button the power LED flashes green and then turns solid green, but there is no noise from the fan and nothing at all from the bulb. The Temp and Fan LEDs are not lit, so no indication of any problems there.

Any help appreciated!

Apologies if this has been asked before, but has anyone come across a problem where the projector turns on, but neither the map or the fan engage, it just sits there doing nothing?

I've just returned from a week away and I turned the projector off at the main before I went (it's normally left in standby 24/7 when not in use). Nothing else has changed.

When I turn the power on, I get the usual combination of orange power LED and green power button. When I press the power button the power LED flashes green and then turns solid green, but there is no noise from the fan and nothing at all from the bulb. The Temp and Fan LEDs are not lit, so no indication of any problems there.

Any help appreciated!
Sorry, never seen that. Wonder if the lamp failed? What hours did you have on it?

Sorry, never seen that. Wonder if the lamp failed? What hours did you have on it?
It’s working fine again this morning! I couldn't get it going at all last night, but I didn’t really have anything to try apart from disconnecting from the mains and reconnecting, which didn’t work.

I had a look for some kind of hard reset procedure, but could only find the menu-based one, which obviously wouldn’t have worked in my case!

I’ve got about 2,500 Eco hours on the bulb. If it had have been the bulb that had failed, would the fan still have fired up?

I’m pleased it’s working, but worried that I’ve not found a solution if it happens again!

It’s working fine again this morning! I couldn't get it going at all last night, but I didn’t really have anything to try apart from disconnecting from the mains and reconnecting, which didn’t work.

I had a look for some kind of hard reset procedure, but could only find the menu-based one, which obviously wouldn’t have worked in my case!

I’ve got about 2,500 Eco hours on the bulb. If it had have been the bulb that had failed, would the fan still have fired up?

I’m pleased it’s working, but worried that I’ve not found a solution if it happens again!
Not sure about the fans in that case, I’m still on my first lamp. Glad it’s working again though, hopefully just a “glitch”.

Not sure about the fans in that case, I’m still on my first lamp. Glad it’s working again though, hopefully just a “glitch”.
Indeed. I won't worry too much about it unless it happens a second time!

I've got another (slight) problem/issue with mine.

I started to get quite a lot of flicker on Eco mode, and switched it to Normal to see if it fixed it, and it seems to have done.

Straight away, I noticed the huge fan noise that has stopped me from using Normal mode in the past.

The strange thing is that as soon as I put on any content that puts the projector into HDR10 mode, the excess fan noise goes away and the projector is only making the same amount of noise as it did in Eco mode.

As soon as the projector comes out of HDR10 mode, the loud fan noise comes back.

It's good news for me overall as more and more of the content I'n watching is HDR10 these days, but I wasn't sure if this was usually for the projector.

Hello, I've had the W2700 for 18 months and have always used it in Eco mode (perfect in my totally dark room and noisy enough).
It says around 1,100 hours.
Yesterday I noticed a greyish flicker in the right hand corner of the picture.
Does this mean I have to change the bulb?
Switch to Normal mode?
Something is wrong with the projector?
I'm a bit worried because my former projector was a W2000 and when the lamp exploded the projector stopped working.
Thank you for your help.

Hello, sorry if this is a silly question. :blush: Re flickering issue. I've been on the Normal mode for 100 hours and wish to go back to Eco mode. Is there any risk of the bulb bursting when reverting to normal mode? Thank you.

Guys,

I read somewhere that this PJ has (or had) overheat issues. Can anyone confirm, please? Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom