BenQ W5700 4K DLP Projector Review & Comments

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the review.

It sounds as though it is not really enough of an upgrade on the W2700 to justify the extra £1,000.

I have been using the W2700 since it came out. I've been pleased with it overall, but the operating noise is a pain, as is the poor focus on the edges of the image.

I'd have happily upgraded to improve these factors, but it sounds as though the W5700 doesn't improve on either, and provides less brightness to boot.

How does it compare to the Epson TW9400? They are a similar price so should rightly be compared?

Thanks for the review.

It sounds as though it is not really enough of an upgrade on the W2700 to justify the extra £1,000.

I have been using the W2700 since it came out. I've been pleased with it overall, but the operating noise is a pain, as is the poor focus on the edges of the image.

I'd have happily upgraded to improve these factors, but it sounds as though the W5700 doesn't improve on either, and provides less brightness to boot.

I've also been using the W2700 since launch, having a media player that passes correct max/min cll fall data made a big difference to my 4k hdr viewing, it gives great bang fr your buck overall, its just really noisy which would be my only niggle.

thanks read it through twice coudn't see it just spotted it under verdict (55ms)

How does it compare to the Epson TW9400? They are a similar price so should rightly be compared?
I've currently got the TW9400 in for testing, and I have previously reviewed the W5700 for another publication, so I can answer that question in the TW9400 verdict.

Be interesting to see if Benq follow JVC and bring out a laser version of it, which should sort out the brightness problem.

Bill

Thanks for the review! Good to see 3D being tested!!

bit off topic but is there a JVC N5 review on the way? I have had an Epson 9300 previously and that was a great picture for the buck and I would have a small wager that the Epson is a better overall device than the benq

bit off topic but is there a JVC N5 review on the way? I have had an Epson 9300 previously and that was a great picture for the buck and I would have a small wager that the Epson is a better overall device than the benq
Yes, it arrived yesterday. Will be a few weeks.

thanks Phil - thats what I call service 4 minutes to reply - will be very interested to read your view as I had mine since March (one of the first I think) and have 750 hours on the bulb and find it to be mighty especially since 3.10 dropped in october

One obvious difference is the motorised lens on the epson.
I'd also be interested in fan noise, as 34dB on the Benq seems high, if I was spending over £2k on an upgrade to my old 1070, I'd want something significantly quieter.

One obvious difference is the motorised lens on the epson.
I'd also be interested in fan noise, as 34dB on the Benq seems high, if I was spending over £2k on an upgrade to my old 1070, I'd want something significantly quieter.

I missed that. So it's actually quite a lot louder than the W2700. That would be a deal-breaker for me as well.

Well, I have currently decided on the Epson tw9400. However, I'm not buying until June or so (summer rebuild). The noise on the Benq is a massive downside for me personally.

So I am keen to stay on top of what is best in that price range. I look forward to the review :) How long do you think it will be until it is up?

Thanks again.

Please create a separate thread for any comparison videos or reviews, this is the thread for our review and the discussion of it.

The bad bullet points are really bad... No bright , dark like grey , black crash ..imagine what happens when bulb goes old... No way...

After watching the vid review I've gotta say the overall score seems very generous.

I agree. It seems a crazy price for this level of performance.
Have you actually seen other DLP projectors at this price point? The W2700 and W5700 are very accurate for SDR and something other DLPs certainly are not. Plus excellent cross-talk free 3D, superb motion and designed for a darker room with excellent SDR, I'm struggling to see how you think it's crazy. It's another choice for someone looking at this end of the market. Plus, nothing at this end of the market can do HDR, so that's hardly a negative solely aimed at the BenQ.

RBE still an issue on these 4k DLP's?
It uses an RGBRGB colour wheel and I am usually quite susceptible to seeing rainbows and I didn't really notice them at all on the W5700 (or W2700 when I tested that). You will get the occasional flash if you move your head, such as going to look for the remote, but when actually sat watching it was rare to see any. It will, however, vary from person to person, so as always I would suggest a demo before purchase to check.

Have you actually seen other DLP projectors at this price point? The W2700 and W5700 are very accurate for SDR and something other DLPs certainly are not. Plus excellent cross-talk free 3D, superb motion and designed for a darker room with excellent SDR, I'm struggling to see how you think it's crazy. It's another choice for someone looking at this end of the market. Plus, nothing at this end of the market can do HDR, so that's hardly a negative solely aimed at the BenQ.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. It’s the price difference between the W2700 and the W5700 that seems too steep based on the performance increase.

I have a W2700 and I think it is a very good deal at £1.400. I’d happily pay an extra £1k for the W5700 if it improved on the weak areas of the W2700 which in my view are poor focus consistency across the image and high operating noise.

The review suggests that these weak points are also there on the W5700 so I just can’t see the reason to pay the extra over the W2700.

The W5700 might compare well against others in the same price range, but if it doesn’t bring much benefit over the W2700, that makes the asking price too high for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom