• Panasonic

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • LG

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Samsung

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters
STOP PRESS!
Basic information for the 2018 LG TVs now available including the OP's desire for a 49"/50" TV.

The LG range includes 49SK8500, 8100 and 8000 models. The 8500 spec includes Nano Cell, FALD and ThinQ AI, Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos features. See details at:

LG 2018 TVs: 4K, OLED, LCD - everything you need to know

Spec look promising with the 8500 FALD competing against the Sony XF90. Prices not yet available.

(Surprisingly Panasonic does not include the choice of a FALD LED in this size/ price range for 2018.)

Last edited:
There are only VA panels in Panasonic 2018 models at 75" in one or two ranges, or in 40".
99% of 2018 range uses IPS LG panels.

Panasonic Ex750 from 2017 doesn't have the major stuttering issues that plague the EX700. EX700 should be avoided completely.

Philips have VA panel in all 50" models, plus with PUS6272 you get three sided Ambilight.

Hisense only model worth considering is HxxN6800, comes in VA panel in all sizes. Clouding issues more so than major brands though.

Sony XE9002 or whatever it's called is currently the best LCD TV you can buy all things told.

Personally I wouldn't pay the inflated launch price for its direct replacement (XF9 series) the differences will be negligible.

For those interested in a 55" Sony, there's a very good model in the XE8596 which has 100hz panel and is the Sony equivalent of the Samsung MU7000.

Life's Good...Wigan 1 - Manchester City 0 :clap::clap::clap:

Oops, off topic ..:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Hopefully LG 2018 TVs will perform just as well.

Last edited:
There are only VA panels in Panasonic 2018 models at 75" in one or two ranges, or in 40".
99% of 2018 range uses IPS LG panels.

Panasonic Ex750 from 2017 doesn't have the major stuttering issues that plague the EX700. EX700 should be avoided completely.

Philips have VA panel in all 50" models, plus with PUS6272 you get three sided Ambilight.

Hisense only model worth considering is HxxN6800, comes in VA panel in all sizes. Clouding issues more so than major brands though.

Sony XE9002 or whatever it's called is currently the best LCD TV you can buy all things told.

Personally I wouldn't pay the inflated launch price for its direct replacement (XF9 series) the differences will be negligible.

For those interested in a 55" Sony, there's a very good model in the XE8596 which has 100hz panel and is the Sony equivalent of the Samsung MU7000.

The XE85 is a really nice tv, had the chance to have a good look and test last week:

it got a good review from rtings.com, motion seems to be a big plus compared to the MU7000:

Sony X850E Review (XBR65X850E, XBR75X850E)

Happy with my 49XE9005 and went for the best screen at that size for the same reason. Brought mine for £974 back in August with a Currys' promotion. I think there will be bigger improvements next year ( DV v HDR10+ debacle for instance ) and a 2017 screen would be a cheaper option now. Prices should drop further in May when 2018 screens will appear in shops. Love the HDR image on programmes such as Grand Tour and UHD discs.

Worth checking out the price history at Sony Bravia KD-49XE9005 (TV)

Thanks for the info @Toon Army. I'm wondering whether to upgrade my Samsung UE46F8000 to this model. My TV is 5 years old now and doesn't support 4K or HDR, but having said that I think the picture quality is great for a 1080p TV. I'm debating the upgrade because I don't know how much better 4K and HDR will look in a 49" panel. Is it worth it?

Thanks for the info @Toon Army. I'm wondering whether to upgrade my Samsung UE46F8000 to this model. My TV is 5 years old now and doesn't support 4K or HDR, but having said that I think the picture quality is great for a 1080p TV. I'm debating the upgrade because I don't know how much better 4K and HDR will look in a 49" panel. Is it worth it?
I have certainly enjoyed mine having previously owned a 7 year old Samsung HDTV. The Smart TV element also adds to the enjoyment along with connectivity etc. Is it worth it? That depends on your budget and is a subjective test.

HDR isn't dependant on resolution, but is dependant on your source. Most sources don't have it.

If you don't have immediate plans to pair the TV with UHD and HDR sources, I wouldn't bother. It won't look much better than your current TV.

New TVs don't polish old stuff, they only shine with the new. Not only that but you lose a lot of detail by having a smaller UHD model, viewing distances are much closer with UHD and uncomfortably close for most people compared to FHD.

SONY 2018 X900F (XF90 for Europe) Series TV first review now at www.flatpanelshd.com

65" version reviewed but hopefully gives clues as to performance of the 49" being of interest to posters on this thread.

Happy reading :)

SONY 2018 X900F (XF90 for Europe) Series TV first review now at www.flatpanelshd.com
Thanks for updating us.
I respect what those guys on that site does, but I find all of their reviews to be overly critical and skewed toward their own opinion (eg the guy prefers Apple so compares everything to that). A reviewer should be impartial and take everything on its own terms.

Also, anyone planning to pay launch price for the XF90 has more money than sense.

Can pick up the XE90 for a much more reasonable (still expensive/overpriced IMO) price for pretty much the same TV, and you'd be a fool to pay whatever the insane amount Sony wants at launch for the XF.

I look forward to AV's updates (full reviews) of the recent previews of Sony's 2018 TVs, and hopefully, that of the 49XF9005 and LG, Sammy & Panny equivalents. Do avforums have a schedule of up-and-coming reviews and will it actually include 49"/50" sets?. Priority seems to be given to 55" and greater!.

Last edited:
Thanks for updating us.
I respect what those guys on that site does, but I find all of their reviews to be overly critical and skewed toward their own opinion (eg the guy prefers Apple so compares everything to that). A reviewer should be impartial and take everything on its own terms.

Also, anyone planning to pay launch price for the XF90 has more money than sense.

Can pick up the XE90 for a much more reasonable (still expensive/overpriced IMO) price for pretty much the same TV, and you'd be a fool to pay whatever the insane amount Sony wants at launch for the XF.

They have confirmed it uses the same Mediatek 5891 as the XE90.

As expected. TVs are like phones now. They have pretty much reached their peak years ago and any improvements are minor and incremental.
Surely HDR is a significant change although there is limited content at the moment unless one streams Youtube and subscribes to Netflix, Amazon Prime etc!

As expected. TVs are like phones now. They have pretty much reached their peak years ago and any improvements are minor and incremental.

I thought they would use the Mediatek 5597 in the XF series, as it supports Dolby Vision.

So there might be a chance the frame skipping issue reports on the sony forums possibly could affect this series as well, if the same firmware is used, we will just have to wait and see.

I thought they would use the Mediatek 5597 in the XF series, as it supports Dolby Vision.

So there might be a chance the frame skipping issue reports on the sony forums possibly could affect this series as well, if the same firmware is used, we will just have to wait and see.
Mediatek chips run the OS, the video processing is a dedicated chip set for each manufacturer, the XE9305 uses the mediatek 5891 andframe drops have not been reported on that variant.

Mediatek chips run the OS, the video processing is a dedicated chip set for each manufacturer, the XE9305 uses the mediatek 5891 andframe drops have not been reported on that variant.
Sure with the X1+, but that MediaTek chip is listed as being able to be a SOC for everything from scaling to handling codecs, sharpness, PQ etc.

I suspect each company "tunes" it. I know for a fact this is what Panasonic and Philips do on lower-mid models.

In Sony I've seen the MediaTek handle 90% of picture duties with a very small Sony chip added afterwards to make Sony picture tuning, but in lower models companies just have one off the shelf chip (MediaTek) handle everything, which is why virtually every lower end TV is just the same in PQ these days (this is actually nothing new, same thing happened with CRT TVs at low-mid end). A TV is not all that complex.

Last edited:
"Panasonic PDP VT65" ;dont "downside" and she's one of the best "still" right now!
Even dont think about that beside 49/50 compare with 55 well its not big difference though
PDPs still the best!
Dont read out "marketing tools"
But if you willing another new panel then you can consider all brands(VA-IPS at your choice)
And keep your PDP ever!

For "Android" use;you can buy ext.TVBox w/And.7.1.... at price about £ 40-60 !!!
"AndroTVs" always a lot of issues!(also WebOS/Tizen)
use external source devices which is more convenient

49" and smaller sizes;(IPS or VA) hardware/some of software "less" quality and mostly 50Hz panels!
so start from 55 and up!

Well I'm still happy with my two OLD Tosh panels;at least still watching SD/HD
and sure I watch "4K contents" 1080HD!(from stream by satellite Astra and others sources)
Note;Channel/Package etc., not all contents a "real" 4K!! even some of contents 720!

>>Note;when I check from my Technisat receiver(info menu) channel is "4K" but lot of contents
1080/720 and "bit-rate" very low!(you should check out bit-rate which most important!)

So I decide at least at present never buy "UHD TV"!
My oldies-still goodies

Therefore I'vnt any "budget" issue too!!

Bye++

STOP PRESS!

2018 upper mid-range Samsung LCD NU8 & NU7 Series TVs announced. They will replace the 2017 MU series.... details at:

Samsung unveils first 2018 TVs with new NU8000 & NU7x00 ranges - FlatpanelsHD

Being EDGE-LIT they will compete against the Panasonic FXs, both brands supporting HDR10+ but will also compete against LG's SK85 and Sony's XF90 FALD panels.

Who's going to win?

Last edited:
I look forward to AV's updates (full reviews) of the recent previews of Sony's 2018 TVs, and hopefully, that of the 49XF9005 and LG, Sammy & Panny equivalents. Do avforums have a schedule of up-and-coming reviews and will it actually include 49"/50" sets?. Priority seems to be given to 55" and greater!.
Could be 55 inch screens and above for comparison purposes with LCDs etc as there are no 49 inch OLEDs.

Sony have now updated their XF9005 TV specification web page to include the 49".

STOP PRESS - Sony announces 2018 FX90 TV prices except for the 49", see Sony TVs Forum.

EDIT UPDATE: Pocket-lint is of the opinion that the 49XF90 may not be coming to the UK & Ireland !. I'll make further enquiries via Sony UK later today.

Last edited:
STOP PRESS - Sony announces 2018 FX90 TV prices except for the 49" , see Sony TVs Forum.

EDIT UPDATE: Pocket-lint is of the opinion that the 49XF90 may not be coming to the UK & Ireland !. I'll make further enquiries via Sony UK later today.
The 49XF is showing on the Sony UK website with a full spec against it, only price is missing. I read somewhere that it will be April / May before it is available.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom