Question Best 55" to 65" Used TV ?

Free To Air

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking of upgrading a TV from a 50" Panasonic plasma to something larger that has 4K resolution. I have been out of the TV buying market for quite a while and am a bit bewildered and lost by how things have advanced. The last few TV's I have bought have been second hand, not too old from their original purchase date and performed without issue for quite a few years.

Provided the warranty is transferable I do not have any issues buying second hand so I am looking for recommendations for a 4K capable TV, preferably with 55" to 65" screen and I assume an OLED panel is the preferred option nowadays?

Would a budget of £1000 get me a decent used 65" TV or would it need to be higher? Also, are there any makes/models I should be looking at and also those to avoid?

Any advice most appreciated.

Buying a TV is a little different than it used to be, by spending more money now you really only buy into better HDR performance. Therefore if you aren't going to use HDR much with a new TV, then your budget can afford a very capable TV at 65" new.

So which you go for, how much money you spend really depends on how much HDR you are going to use.

Its been that way for a few years now, so even considering the second hand market you can expect to pay more for TVs that are capable with HDR.

So what sources are you planning to use with the TV and how important is HDR picture quality to you?

...So what sources are you planning to use with the TV and how important is HDR picture quality to you?

Thank you for your reply.

Sources will be SKY HD and possibly SKY UHD plus other satellite receivers that are 4K capable. The TV will not be used for viewing any sources other than from satellite receivers.

I am not sure how HDR impacts on the sources I will use as I have not followed the technology and advances in TV for a few years now

Sky are supposed to introduce HDR content soon, but it won't be something that is very common with broadcast TV for some time. There are from time to time trials on the BBC iPlayer.

Otherwise main HDR sources nowadays would be things such as select shows on Amazon, Netflix or Apple TV, HDR games consoles and HDR games or UHD Blu-Rays.

Without the intent to use HDR it would be a waste to consider a higher end TV, I'd suggest upgrading now to a cheaper model and down the line if HDR is used a lot more, upgrade again.

The Hisense 65U8B is priced very well right now, its HDR capability isn't up to scratch compared to much more expensive models, but it at least has the option to use HDR if you need it in the future. It should, for someone who uses HDR less often be all the TV you need.

If you did want to buy a higher end model that is capable with HDR then you should think about TVs like the Sony XF9005 or Samsung Q70R at very least. You could make a good saving looking at second hand models capable of HDR from 2016 onwards. My own 2016 TV; Panasonic DX902 would be a good pick, as would the Samsung flagship from the same year; KS9500. Samsung also had some lower end models that year also with good HDR capabilities...Samsung KS7000/KS7500/KS8000/KS8500 and KS9000 were all ample HDR performers.

From 2017 and 2018 ranges you may also consider OLEDs, together with some of the higher end LCD TVs from those years. There's really too many to list, but any of the previous year higher end TVs listed in the overview articles here should suit: Overview articles - FlatpanelsHD - Guide to TVs, media streamers & monitors an OLED or Sony ZD9 would be wonderful.

...If you did want to buy a higher end model that is capable with HDR then you should think about TVs like the Sony XF9005 or Samsung Q70R at very least. You could make a good saving looking at second hand models capable of HDR from 2016 onwards. My own 2016 TV; Panasonic DX902 would be a good pick, as would the Samsung flagship from the same year; KS9500. Samsung also had some lower end models that year also with good HDR capabilities...Samsung KS7000/KS7500/KS8000/KS8500 and KS9000 were all ample HDR performers.

From 2017 and 2018 ranges you may also consider OLEDs, together with some of the higher end LCD TVs from those years. There's really too many to list, but any of the previous year higher end TVs listed in the overview articles here should suit: Overview articles - FlatpanelsHD - Guide to TVs, media streamers & monitors an OLED or Sony ZD9 would be wonderful.

Once again, thank you for your input, most appreciated.

I have tried to catch up a little on technology and OLED seems to be the current king of the pack. However, from reading a few of the topics in the OLED TV section of the forum I am a little concerned about image retention. For now, I am steering towards a Samsung QLED in 55" or 65" if I can find a second hand model for sale in good condition with warranty remaining.

Would you please be able to advise me if the Samsung QLED models in 55" and 65" come with a decent standard of HDR? I forgot about Netflix, we might add it to our SKY package if we upgrade to SKY Q

Theres a 65 inch Panasonic dx902 on the classifieds right now for £500,you won't find a better tv for that price

After a few days reading the TV topics on the forum and trying to catch up a bit I have just about got round to deciding on a TV. My source preferences have slightly changed in that the TV might be used for Sky Q UHD, Amazon and Netflix, Amazon being the additional source from my original list of sources, still no gaming sources though.

From checking the HDR specs required to manage with these sources it looks like I need a TV with HDR10+ and Dolby Vision HDR. Instead of looking for a used TV, a brand new Samsung Q55Q70 at a price of £699 including 6 years warranty seems to offer what I need?

Would any of the guys more clued up on TV specs and HDR please be able to let me know if the Samsung Q55Q70 would be a suitable TV for my needs or should I be looking at a model higher up the range? The HDR specs on the Richer Sounds website list HDR, HDR10+ and HLG but not Dolby Vision HDR that I think I may need for Netflix 4K?

I have steered clear of OLED options due to a concern about logo image retention as Sky News is generally the default channel for the TV and it is on for two or three hours per day every day.

Last edited:
The Samsung Q70R will be suitable and is the cheapest you'll find a capable HDR TV.

You don't need both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ support, Dolby Vision titles will still work on the Samsung, just using the standard HDR10 layer.

If you want both formats supported you need to look either 1. TVs that should not be considered HDR because they are too poor at displaying it (for instance Panasonic GX800) or 2. OLEDs (from Philips or Panasonic).

I'm in a similar position but only £500 and no HDR required and the DX902 looks ideal for what I'm looking for so I've made a note of that,

I also saw a Samsung 65" uef9000 for £500 but it's from 2013 and I'm not sure how good 4K TVs were back then? Go for it? or Avoid?

I'm in a similar position but only £500 and no HDR required and the DX902 looks ideal for what I'm looking for so I've made a note of that,

I also saw a Samsung 65" uef9000 for £500 but it's from 2013 and I'm not sure how good 4K TVs were back then? Go for it? or Avoid?
The DX902 is a very capable HDR TV, I own it myself. Would be wasted to use one without HDR.

If HDR isn't required you can go for as little as a Hisense B series new and as much as a Samsung RU8000 and you'll have more than enough TV for SDR.

The Samsung you are considering is quite pricey for something that is 7 years old, I'd avoid it. The first 4k TVs do not have good upscaling.

On the topic of upscaling, really if most of what you will pair with this TV is HD or lower, you will be best seeking out a second hand HD model rather than UHD.

Beware of tech jargon being similar, HD is not HDR and SD is not SDR. More on that here: All about HDR (High Dynamic Range)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom