Best all-in-one solution for streaming downloaded 4k HDR files and 1080p upscaling?

archaicfacesfrenzy

Novice Member
Reaction score
We have a new Vizio MQ8. A good chunk of our content is downloaded. Some 4k HDR stuff, also plenty of regular 1080p rips.

Yesterday picked up an x700 which plays back the 4k HDR content from a flash drive beautifully. The upscaling for 1080p looks excellent too.

Obviously the catch here is transferring media from the PC to the flash drive, and then back to the x700. Curious if there's a piece of hardware out there that can handle streaming downloaded 4k HDR10 and Dolby Vision content. Uh, and also has excellent upscaling.

All my research pointed to the Shield, but I hear it only does Dolby Vision through streaming media apps like Netflix or Hulu; won't output it for files you're streaming through Kodi or whatever.

I'd consider building an HTPC for this purpose as we use our TV as a computer monitor anyway, but I've read it's kind of a sketchy option, that graphics cards and/or Windows can't do Dolby Vision etc. etc. If there's any way to make this work, though, that'd be most ideal for us; give us a chance to up our spec for gaming and the whole 9 yards.

What about, like, setting up a DLNA server and streaming to the x700?

Any ideas appreciated!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom