Gergo332

Standard Member
Reaction score
-Wharfedale Diamond 11.2
-Q Acoustics 3030i
-ELAC Debut B6.2
-Dali Oberon 3
-Dali Zensor 3

What could be the best choice for a smaller room (18 m2)?
For jazz, acoustic, classical and rock music. Also for watching movies.

Which would you choose?

Thanks.

What will you be driving them with? Dalis I would say would be better for rock and they tend to be more forward which would make them not so good for classical music. Both the QA and the Diamonds are somewhat more benign, safer if you like but bass on the QAs could prove a little flabby.

I've not listened to Elac so cannot comment. So out of your list with the selection of music you listen to the Diamond, depending on amplification, would be my personal choice. However to me you have probably left one of the best all rounder speakers off that list and that's the KEF Q350. The Q350 could cover all genre of music and have the wide soundstage needed for movies. KEF R300s would be even better if you could find a second hand pair, again depending on amplification.

Mission LX mark 2 and QX, Q Acoustics concept 20s and Fyne Audio F301 should be on your shortlist.

I've personally found Dali to be excellent across a wide range of music, including classical, jazz, folk and progressive rock. The Oberon 3s will give you greater sense of scale than the 1s so my vote would go there.

Alternatively, Monitor Audio are a good all-round choice and there's plenty of generations of the Bronze series around - B2, BR2, BX2, Bronze 2 and the new Bronze 100 are all very capable.

I've personally found Dali to be excellent across a wide range of music, including classical, jazz, folk and progressive rock. The Oberon 3s will give you greater sense of scale than the 1s so my vote would go there.

Alternatively, Monitor Audio are a good all-round choice and there's plenty of generations of the Bronze series around - B2, BR2, BX2, Bronze 2 and the new Bronze 100 are all very capable.
what about the mr2 and monitor 100.. same cones and tweeter technology as all those bronze
b speakers

From that list I’d sat the Oberons.

But for the budget I’d go for used every time.

Speakers are the most important bit.

what about the mr2 and monitor 100.. same cones and tweeter technology as all those bronze
b speakers

The MR2 is the BR2 rebadged, and was introduced as a budget alternative when the BX2 was launched.
The Monitor 100 are very good for the money, but they are not the same as all the Bronze models. They are a more affordable alternative.

The MR2 is the BR2 rebadged, and was introduced as a budget alternative when the BX2 was launched.
The Monitor 100 are very good for the money, but they are not the same as all the Bronze models. They are a more affordable alternative.
thats right, the monitor series have c cam tweeters, hive 2 ports and mmp2 cones, just like the bx series.

thats right, the monitor series have c cam tweeters, hive 2 ports and mmp2 cones, just like the bx series.
Not all C-Cam tweeters are born equal. The Monitor Series uses different materials to the Bronze series. There's also differences in cross-over and cabinet design so, although the Monitor 50 and Monitor 100 are very good budget speakers, they are not the same as Bronze.

The latest Bronze series is very different to the previous Bronze series, with a number of changes some of which have trickled down from the most recent Silver series.

According to the MA website the monitor series uses mmp2 cones whichh is the same material as the bronze b, br and bx series, and the mr.

it would be interesting to know what they mean by 'derived' - i thought they are the same but in a black colour.. they sound as detailed as each other to me when i had the bronze 2.

'MMP II (Metal Matrix Polymer) driver cones
High overall impedance (8 ohms) – easy to drive with lower power amplifiers
Black C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminium Magnesium) dome tweeter – derived from Monitor Audio’s award-winning Bronze series'

According to the MA website the monitor series uses mmp2 cones whichh is the same material as the bronze b, br and bx series, and the mr.

it would be interesting to know what they mean by 'derived' - i thought they are the same but in a black colour.. they sound as detailed as each other to me when i had the bronze 2.

'MMP II (Metal Matrix Polymer) driver cones
High overall impedance (8 ohms) – easy to drive with lower power amplifiers
Black C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminium Magnesium) dome tweeter – derived from Monitor Audio’s award-winning Bronze series'

The details are vague, I agree. 'Derived' could mean completely the same as but in a different colour, or it could mean 'similar to'.

Either way, it doesn't make the Monitor 100 the same as the Bronze 2, or its predecessors. The cabinet dimensions and construction are different, and the Monitor 100 doesn't benefit from MA's single bolt-through driver mounting. These are factors that will influence the sound.

The latest Bronze 100 (replacement for the Bronze 2) has a number of changes that seperate it more significantly from its predecessor or the Monitor 100. Both Monitor and Bronze series offer terrific performance at their respective prices, but it is important not to lose sight of the differences.

The new bronze 6g have thinner walls. 15mm vs 18mm of the monitor?

they're a lot more expensive so i would have expected thicker cabinets, not thinner.

The new bronze 6g have thinner walls. 15mm vs 18mm of the monitor?

they're a lot more expensive so i would have expected thicker cabinets, not thinner.

Why would you expect thicker cabinets? They don't necessarily result in better sound.

Why would you expect thicker cabinets? They don't necessarily result in better sound.
because the silver and gold have thicker cabinets, more expensive speakers in the range have thicker cabinets.

why would they reduce the thickness from.18mm to 15mm?

i expect thicker baffles and cabinets to reduce resonance

because the silver and gold have thicker cabinets, more expensive speakers in the range have thicker cabinets.

why would they reduce the thickness from.18mm to 15mm?

i expect thicker baffles and cabinets to reduce resonance

The design has to be viewed as a whole, and decisions about factors such as baffle and cabinet thickness are one part of that whole.

Thicker cabinets do not necessarily reduce resonance. Spendor purposely make the cabinet of their A-Series models thin-walled, and Peter Comeau's design for the Wharfedale Linton 85s utilises a cabinet of varying thicknesses.

what is the logic in making cabinets thin walled?

the only way to reduce resonance if the walls are thin is improve bracing..so im assuming bracing was improved with everything else being the same.

what is the logic in making cabinets thin walled?

the only way to reduce resonance if the walls are thin is improve bracing..so im assuming bracing was improved with everything else being the same.

In the case of the Spendors the thin cabinet side panels are bonded to a viscose-elastic damping pad.

i highly doubt the bronze 6g have damping pads on the cabinets...

I Can’t find OP’s budget so apologies if I missed it but I agree with @password1 that the Concept 20s should be on your list - sublime sound. Also the B&W 606s and 607s are down in price too. I have the 606s and find them excellent value for money.

i highly doubt the bronze 6g have damping pads on the cabinets...

I'm sure they don't, but I'm also sure that MA will have thought all their design decisions through in order to achieve the best overall performance they can for the price.

If your in the UK you can grab the B&W 606 for a bargain price today, eBay are doing 20% off from selected sellers and Peter Tyson in included, (offer ends today),

I grabbed them yesterday for only £374!, still a few left, at that price these have to be the best price to performance bookshelf's!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom