Best Buy AV Receivers of 2017 & Comments

I'd think that 7.2.4 should be pretty much standard now

Eh?

Not everyone has the space, inclination or money for that many speakers and AVR/power amps.

I'm surprised no bargain option? As always, we know that goes to the Denon 2xxx though...

I think that the article should be renamed "Best AV Forums Reviewed Receivers of 2017. There are better receivers out there from the likes of Pioneer, Onkyo & Anthem but they don't get supplied for review...I've had a Denon and a couple of Marantz's in my pursuit for the Holy Grail and found it in an Onkyo...

I'd think that 7.2.4 should be pretty much standard now

According to a well established US site, 5.1 is still the most prolific surround sound setup. This is in the states where they've predominantly larger rooms at their disposal so cannot see 7.1.4 or even a 5.1.2 setup being dominant in the UK where rooms are substantially smaller?

Last edited:
I was considering the Yamaha RX-V583, but went for the Denon AVR X1400H at Superfi instead; wanted futureproof, but had set myself a budget of around £300

I thought the Sony 1080 was giving the Denons a run for their money this year ?

The board hasn't reviewed the Sony though so it cannot be included within the list of receivers given a reward.

Sorry but these prices are unrealistic for the average consumer. I don't spend this on a TV never mind a receiver. I'm at the Denon X520 lvl and I work offshore so have some cash to spend but not what's getting fielded here lol

I think that the article should be renamed "Best AV Forums Reviewed Receivers of 2017. There are better receivers out there from the likes of Pioneer, Onkyo & Anthem but they don't get supplied for review...I've had a Denon and a couple of Marantz's in my pursuit for the Holy Grail and found it in an Onkyo...
Of course you'll also declare that you worked for Onkyo in the past, just to keep your advice/recommendations transparent and to highlight any possible bias?
We would really like Onkyo (and now Pioneer) to send their wares for review. We have reviewed Anthem in the recent past as well, just to be clear. Of course we can only really recommend those items that we have fully tested, independent of any PR/manufacturer influence.

According to a well established US site, 5.1 is still the most prolific surround sound setup. This is in the states where they've predominantly larger rooms at their disposal so cannot see 7.1.4 or even a 5.1.2 setup being dominant in the UK where rooms are substantially smaller?

I'm referring to the Dolby Atmos enabled AVRs if you are going to produce one that has all the latest features why make one with 5.1.2 that needs extra amplification for 2 more channels and be more of a faff that would cost more anyway.

given the choice I imagine most would take the future proofing of 7.1.4 over 5.1.2 and should be standard feature in this type of AVR

Sorry but these prices are unrealistic for the average consumer. I don't spend this on a TV never mind a receiver. I'm at the Denon X520 lvl and I work offshore so have some cash to spend but not what's getting fielded here lol

That's mainly down to AV not being high up your priority list, rather then lack of funds. My boss works oil n gas making a significant 6 figure sum, yet she wouldn't spend 1200 on an avr either...

She'll spend 6k on a cooker though...

Of course you'll also declare that you worked for Onkyo in the past, just to keep your advice/recommendations transparent and to highlight any possible bias?
We would really like Onkyo (and now Pioneer) to send their wares for review. We have reviewed Anthem in the recent past as well, just to be clear. Of course we can only really recommend those items that we have fully tested, independent of any PR/manufacturer influence.
That was actually 4 years ago now...I actually despised them for the infamous HDMI board fiasco which led to me leaving - so yes all above board. It's the sound I actually like.

I'm referring to the Dolby Atmos enabled AVRs if you are going to produce one that has all the latest features why make one with 5.1.2 that needs extra amplification for 2 more channels and be more of a faff that would cost more anyway.

given the choice I imagine most would take the future proofing of 7.1.4 over 5.1.2 and should be standard feature in this type of AVR

Because if you make all the receivers you manufacture 9 channel or more then you increase the cost of purchase for the consumer and alienate those who've not the funds to buy such a receiver. There's also the fact that not everyone wants a receiver with more than 7 channels because they've no use for the additional processing or amplification and they've not the space to accommodate additional speakers. There is already the option for those who do want or would like more channels to acquire that ability without imposing the same costs upon those that don't.

It isn't future proofing, not unless you are suggesting everyone is going to be living in a home that has a space to accomodate a 7.1.2, 7.1.4 or even a 9.1.4 setup?

Last edited:
who won

TBH my ideal AVR is probably 7 ch / 5 amp AVR with higher end audio features and processing. The default amp expansion would be front amps (not extra amps for surround backs/atmos or whatever as seems usual) and front pre-outs and an optical digital out.

Any further audio zone outs again would be pure unprocessed digital audio outs - allowing an external high end DAC to do all the processing for all the music receiver features we typically get in an AVR. TBH I wouldnt even be that bothered if such feature got scrapped. It annoying to have those features and end up not using them just because the available music audio outputs are compromised in some way.

We have reviewed the Anthem AVRs, although that was back in 2016, but if Pioneer and Onkyo won't send us review samples I can only wonder why?

The board hasn't reviewed the Sony though so it cannot be included within the list of receivers given a reward.
I was hoping to get the STR-DN1080 in for review in time for this end of year list but it will be delivered once I get back from CES.

We have reviewed the Anthem AVRs, although that was back in 2016, but if Pioneer and Onkyo won't send us review samples I can only wonder why?
I could tell you the probable reason but the review I would need to reference has vanished from the forum. I wonder why...?

If AV receiver manufacturers really want to increase their sales they need to work more closely with speaker manufacturers to defeat the rise of the sound bars. Most like the idea of surround sound, including overhead effects are never going to install ceiling speakers as they can barely cope with running wires to rear surrounds even now!

The manufacturers need to get smart and work on moving the effects amplifiers to remote (wireless) boxes that can be placed near to the rear surrounds, which should include the addition of up-firing Atmos speakers. Maybe even consider the same for the left and right mains. Even better, come up with a standard amplifier modules that can be fitted into the speakers to provide wireless connection to the receiver. To allow competition how about a standard sized plug in space in the speakers to allow fitting of any manufacturers module? (Then only a mains or low voltage power supply connection is required to the speaker.) For higher end speaker this could include a larger space to allow bi-amping and more power.

Without some lateral thinking the market may shrink and become more esoteric as average users move to sound bars and similar solutions.

Upfiring speakers should make 5.1.2 setups more achievable due to the issues encountered with ceiling speakers. Will/can they ever build front channel speakers with the upfiring speakers incorporated?

Upfiring speakers should make 5.1.2 setups more achievable due to the issues encountered with ceiling speakers. Will/can they ever build front channel speakers with the upfiring speakers incorporated?

I thought there were some dual front+upfiring atmos and some modules to attach to top of main speakers that were an exact fit?

The thing I find with most upfiring atmos is the angle seems too shallow to be useful - ie projecting a straight line would tend to make the bounce come down way before the listening position unless your ceiling is where the roof normally is or you stick on/near the floor - that's at only 2.75m horizontal distance.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of minx min 12s to either ceiling mount, or mount in an DIY up-firing mount depending on which works best.

If AV receiver manufacturers really want to increase their sales they need to work more closely with speaker manufacturers to defeat the rise of the sound bars. Most like the idea of surround sound, including overhead effects are never going to install ceiling speakers as they can barely cope with running wires to rear surrounds even now!

The manufacturers need to get smart and work on moving the effects amplifiers to remote (wireless) boxes that can be placed near to the rear surrounds, which should include the addition of up-firing Atmos speakers. Maybe even consider the same for the left and right mains. Even better, come up with a standard amplifier modules that can be fitted into the speakers to provide wireless connection to the receiver. To allow competition how about a standard sized plug in space in the speakers to allow fitting of any manufacturers module? (Then only a mains or low voltage power supply connection is required to the speaker.) For higher end speaker this could include a larger space to allow bi-amping and more power.

Without some lateral thinking the market may shrink and become more esoteric as average users move to sound bars and similar solutions.

Agree with this completely.

People seem to choose soundbars/soundbases because:

1. It's usually just one or two leads to connect up plus a wired plug, and they all tend to come in the box.
2. There's none of that faff with speaker cables, speaker placements or speaker set up.
3. The remotes don't have 50 buttons on them and a ton of menus to work through just to change one setting.

In fairness, more and more AV receivers are making their set up procedures more user-friendly so you only have to go through it once. They're also labelling all inputs and outputs so you can't get things mixed up, and are providing on-screen displays and polarity checks so you can troubleshoot in real time.

But the whole speaker thing just won't go away: cables are messy and unsightly and awkward to run to the back of your room. Ceiling speakers for Atmos were a complete non-starter as I live in a top floor flat, so gaining cable placement from the floor above isn't possible. Using upfirers is a great compromise, but it means yet more speaker cable running to your Rears for 5.1.4.

I guess speaker cable manufacturers wouldn't be too thrilled if the wireless speaker market took off, but it really does seem like a missed opportunity that is not being fully realised for whatever reason. Certainly, when it comes to sound quality, there is no comparison between a soundbar/soundbase and even basic 5.1, but it's how to incorporate all those speakers into a user-friendly and/or discreet arrangement that still needs to be bridged.

Klipsch do what you describe:

Reference Premiere Dolby Atmos Series Speakers | Klipsch

I don't know how good or effective they are and I also don't know why other speaker manufacturers haven't followed suit.

I thought there were some dual front+upfiring atmos and some modules to attach to top of main speakers that were an exact fit?

The thing I find with most upfiring atmos is the angle seems too shallow to be useful - ie projecting a straight line would tend to make the bounce come down way before the listening position unless your ceiling is where the roof normally is or you stick on/near the floor - that's at only 2.75m horizontal distance.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of minx min 12s to either ceiling mount, or mount in an DIY up-firing mount depending on which works best.
I have similar thoughts. Phil Hinton always talks highly about the JBL Control 1s as height speakers and you can get them in black or white.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom