Best DIY sub around 400?

Hilsey01

Established Member
Reaction score
Im in the market for a subwoofer in the coming month. I've had a look at BK's options and I really like the finishes but I see I can get more sound for the money with DIY. I've put together a "copy" of the bk monolith and it will cost me around £300 as the driver is £130 the amplifier (nx1000) is 133 the wood is £20 and the speakon wires are around £20. I'm also putting the box together with my dad so it'll be free.My question is, I've got about £400 to spend so is there anything you'd do extra? Swap out components? I've had a look at Dayton's offerings such as the classic woofer and it needs such a big box and the delivery from America is obsurd. I'm also limited on space, the biggest box I can get is 3.75 cuft and it'll be the micro cube so tuned at 22hz. I would like loud low end rumbles, shakes and a tight punchy bass. What are you opinions? Thanks in advanced!

Forgot to mention the driver would be the lab 12c duh... The amplifier also has no dsp so may that be a problem? I'm looking for it to fill a 350cuft ISH room. Thanks!

The BK offering gives you something that you could sell if your want to move-on up... whereas any self-build or adaption of parts is only useful to you ( AND that's provided it all matches..).
For the small amount of money saved, I think a BK is by far the better option.... but whatdoIknow ?
What are you planning for the Low-Pass filter network - and will the I/p come from the L+R preamp, or the speakers? Peerless suggest using a small sealed box and filter 24dB/octave - but don't suggest how this is achieved.
Let us know how things progress.
Cheers.

The BK offering gives you something that you could sell if your want to move-on up... whereas any self-build or adaption of parts is only useful to you ( AND that's provided it all matches..).
For the small amount of money saved, I think a BK is by far the better option.... but whatdoIknow ?
What are you planning for the Low-Pass filter network - and will the I/p come from the L+R preamp, or the speakers? Peerless suggest using a small sealed box and filter 24dB/octave - but don't suggest how this is achieved.
Let us know how things progress.
Cheers.
I won't ever get rid of this sub and when I do it would just be the driver when I upgrade to a sundown or something. Or I'll use the sub in my car as I'm hopeful that I'll get my license in 2 years time when I'm 17. I was also looking at the EDB15D2X-E7 which is a 15 inch stiff high excursion high power handling woofer. I'll attach the ts specs, but what are your thoughts on this sub? I'll attach the ts specs here for ease. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200401-020000.png
    Screenshot_20200401-020000.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 62

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom