Best Dolby Atmos Blu-rays - article discussion

Doctor Sleep. Bloody hell it is a lively and entertaining mix. Just blew us away the whole length. Mind you I just fully treated the room which made the single biggest improvement in sound quality and this was the first one we watched but still its up there with the very best so far IMO.

I bought that one last week. I forgot all about it. It's still sitting on my desk....

Can anyone recommend a decent horror with an Atmos soundtrack. I've seen 'A Quiet Place' so anything other than that really.
Cheers
Gaz

Can anyone recommend a decent horror with an Atmos soundtrack. I've seen 'A Quiet Place' so anything other than that really.
Cheers
Gaz
I've not seen it myself but Julia-X get's decent reviews but I don't think it has Atmos.
I don't know if you would class Underworld as "decent horror", the same goes for the Resident Evil series. As for Atmos, most 3D discs simply don't have it. If you want Atmos you have to add it yourself from the 4K disc.

I've not seen it myself but Julia-X get's decent reviews but I don't think it has Atmos.
I don't know if you would class Underworld as "decent horror", the same goes for the Resident Evil series. As for Atmos, most 3D discs simply don't have it. If you want Atmos you have to add it yourself from the 4K disc.
Thanks @Coulson. I'm not fussed about 3D to be honest so any decent Atmos horror will do. I'll have a look at Julia-X, cheers.

Cheers
Gaz
Do you have DTS-X capabilities too mate? If so, give ghe new Halloween a spin, pretty decent....

Atmos wise, maybe not the best films, but excellent jump scare Dolby Atmos, try these.

The Conjuring 2
Annabelle creations
The Gallows
The new Blair Witch

Do you have DTS-X capabilities too mate? If so, give ghe new Halloween a spin, pretty decent....

Atmos wise, maybe not the best films, but excellent jump scare Dolby Atmos, try these.

The Conjuring 2
Annabelle creations
The Gallows
The new Blair Witch
Yes mate DTS-X is an option so I'll put Halloween on the list.
Thanks for the list...I'll check them out now.

Cheers

Cheers
Gaz
The Gallows.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but speaking of DTS-X, I personally like the Purge Trilogy, especially the first one. I like the premise and I think the first one in particular nails it. The DTS-X track for the most part is nothing special. But when the action starts I did find myself almost ducking on at least one occasion.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but speaking of DTS-X, I personally like the Purge Trilogy, especially the first one. I like the premise and I think the first one in particular nails it. The DTS-X track for the most part is nothing special. But when the action starts I did find myself almost ducking on at least one occasion.
Funnily enough, i watched " The First Purge" 4k/DTS-X yesterday, really enjoyed it, and all the films in the purge series...the DTS-X on the first purge wasn't as aggressive as some , but as you say, when the sirens start whaling and the action kicks in, it's very immersive.

Cheers
Gaz

Doctor Sleep has an amazing soundtrack. Very uncomfortable use of Atmos.

Thanks for the list...I'll check them out now.

DTS:X

- Crimson Peak (2015) - Sounds all over the room and ceiling that stand out when it's otherwise quiet

- Get Out (2017) - Unconventional horror movie with a twist that has a pretty good soundtrack to it.

Dolby Atmos

- IT Chapters 1 (2017) & 2 (2019) - Fantastic use of Atmos in both films including a part in the first one where the clown climbs up the wall onto the ceiling and then back from the front to the back of the room)

- 2nd recommendation for Doctor Sleep (2019) (sequel to The Shining).- Excellent use of surround and overhead.

- The Mummy (2017) - Excellent Atmos soundtrack, but the movie itself wasn't the greatest, but not terrible.

- The Meg (2018) - Possibly a bit questionable if it's horror or comedy, but a great fun shark movie with excellent use of Atmos underwater and other places as well. You really feel like you're surrounded by the thing attacking the sub from all sides, etc.

- 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) - More of a thriller, I suppose, but the underground bunker provides some interesting overhead effects during the movie. Great movie, especially the first time as it has a huge twist at the end.

- US (2019) - Another freaky twist of a horror movie by Jordan Peele (Get Out) that has a very good soundtrack. It didn't work quite as well as Get Out, but it's still worth seeing, IMO.

Auro-3D

- Death Machine (1994)
- Soundtrack upgrade from Turbine to Auro-3D that works pretty great for the movie, which I hadn't seen before and bought solely to hear what they did with it. It's a B-movie, but a pretty good B-movie. The special effects aren't bad at all. The acting is better with some than others, but I enjoyed it and the giant wall/layers of sound was a different experience than the typical Atmos/X presentation. Someone from Turbine even noticed my review on AVS and was happy to hear I enjoyed it. Sadly, the other 8-12 movie retrofits that were announced to be coming from Turbine in Auro-3D haven't materialized (I do have their older Johnny Mnemonic release that has Auro-3D and Atmos versions).

I believe the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was also released in an Auro-3D / Atmos combo in 4K a couple of years ago, if you can still locate it (not my type of movie).

Neural X Upmixes that sounded excellent:

The Woman in Black
(2012) - Upmixed great with Neural X. Loads of creepy sounds from all over and the thunderstorm was awesome in it.

The Skeleton Key (2005) - Really fun horror movie with all kinds of awesome upmixed creepy house sounds and another great thunderstorm that totally goes overhead (better than many actual Atmos ones).

DTS:X

- Get Out (2017) - Unconventional horror movie with a twist that has a pretty good soundtrack to it.

Dolby Atmos

- IT Chapters 1 (2017) & 2 (2019) - Fantastic use of Atmos in both films including a part in the first one where the clown climbs up the wall onto the ceiling and then back from the front to the back of the room)

- 2nd recommendation for Doctor Sleep (2019) (sequel to The Shining).- Excellent use of surround and overhead.

- The Meg (2018) - Possibly a bit questionable if it's horror or comedy, but a great fun shark movie with excellent use of Atmos underwater and other places as well. You really feel like you're surrounded by the thing attacking the sub from all sides, etc.

- US (2019) - Another freaky twist of a horror movie by Jordan Peele (Get Out) that has a very good soundtrack. It didn't work quite as well as Get Out, but it's still worth seeing, IMO.
- GET OUT - How did I forget this film? Great horror movie with an awesome DTS-X track.

- US, very disconcerting film, great DTS-X track but maybe not quite as good as GET OUT.

- Dr Sleep is a great choice. Even the Blu Ray has Atmos which is great because that is the better version of the film. Visuals wise, there's very little difference with the 4K.

- IT Chapter one is also great, another very good Atmos track. I haven't watched chapter 2 yet.

Finally I like the Meg a lot but it's a bit of a marmite film for most.

Last edited by a moderator:
- GET OUT - How did I forget this film? Great horror movie with an awesome DTS-X track.

- US, very disconcerting film, great DTS-X track but maybe not quite as good as GET OUT.

- Dr Sleep is a great choice. Even the Blu Ray has Atmos which is great because that is the better version of the film. Visuals wise, there's very little difference with the 4K.

- IT Chapter one is also great, another very good Atmos track. I haven't watched chapter 2 yet.

Finally I like the Meg a lot but it's a bit of a marmite film for most.
Yep, all great tracks, im pretty sure "Us " was Dolby Atmos though, really good one.

I've got the following in Auro-3D:

Redtails
Blade Runner 2049
Pixels
Dark Tower
Spiderman Homecoming
Flatliners
Inferno
Johnny Mnemonic
Passengers
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Auro-3D Demo Disc 2

Out of those, I have all of them in Atmos as well except Dark Tower, Redtails and Spiderman Homecoming. I've remuxed the 3D versions of Blade Runner 2049, Pixels, Passengers and Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle to have BOTH Atmos and Auro-3D in one file (for Zidoo X9S use). I can select either soundtrack at the push of a couple of buttons and swap during the movie even.

And, the ones you've tried in Auro 3D and Atmos, which was better?

And, the ones you've tried in Auro 3D and Atmos, which was better?
Most of them are just conversions from Atmos masters and so sound very similar on similar speakers setups (e.g. 5.1.4). Obviously, if you have an 11.1 AVR that doesn't support rear surrounds on 13.1 Auro soundtracks or the soundtrack is only 11.1 Auro and thus has no rear surrounds, then the Atmos track will likely be better on a 7.1.4 (or greater) system. Auro does support CH and TS (VOG), which is nice when used to lock overhead sounds in the center for off-axis listeners.

There are some (not many) Auro-3D only conversions (e.g. Red Tails, Death Machine, Domino, etc.) and so those are nice to have either way vs 5.1 only.

Game of Thrones is excellent.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom