Best Dolby Atmos Blu-rays - article discussion

Haha so they have made it to 10 discs

Technically there are currently 12 discs with 3 more announced and they've remixed seasons 1 to 4 of Game of Thrones in Atmos, which will come out on disc later in the year. So that's 19 announced in total so far.

Doesn't that make 12 currently, if 3 are announced (not out) and GoT is coming later this year.

Which are the unlucky 2 that missed the top 10?

Didn't I just say that? The unlucky two are mentioned at the beginning of the article - Step Up All In and On Any Sunday: The Next Chapter; neither of which I was prepared to watch, even if they have got Atmos soundtracks.

Didn't I just say that? The unlucky two are mentioned at the beginning of the article - Step Up All In and On Any Sunday: The Next Chapter; neither of which I was prepared to watch, even if they have got Atmos soundtracks.

Should the title then be "The 10 Dolby Atmos Blu-rays That Steve Was Prepared To Watch"? :D

At the moment yes but hopefully as more discs are released I'll refresh the list to allow for new Atmos soundtracks that really impress.

No, it should be "The 10 Dolby Atmos Blu-rays That Steve Admits To Watching", we all know he watches step up daily.

... they've remixed seasons 1 to 4 of Game of Thrones in Atmos, which will come out on disc later in the year...

That news alone is enough to tempt me. I wonder if they'll be among the first wave of 4k BDs?

In terms of picture and sound it's absolutely reference but as for the film itself, it's totally bonkers but I rather enjoyed it in a 'so bad it's good' way.

I only have 2 of those Blu-rays, American Sniper and Gravity... but:

a) I bought Gravity when it came out so it is the disc release that is not 3D and not an Atmos mix... a bit sickening...I know what I am missing too because I saw it in cinema in 3D and it was great for this film. Not re-buying it now again.

b) Even though I do have the Atmos version of Sniper, I watched the film using a pair of Sony surround headphones (MDR-HW700DS) as I do with most movies these days, because can't have noise going into neighbours houses, so I only got virtual surround, not even real 5.1, or 7.1. The Sony headphones I have are very good though (come with HDMI processor/decoder and send TrueHD/DTS-HD straight to headphones without any D/A conversion steps so no hiss/hum/noise at all like cheap wireless headphones do)

c) I don't have an Atmos amp or Atmos overhead speakers and have no plans to upgrade to these any time soon.

p.s. I also have Exodus Gods and Kings 3D blu-ray. Why the hell wasn't that in Atmos - the plagues and parting of red sea scenes would have been perfect for Atmos!

Last edited:
I bought Gravity when it came out so it is the disc release that is not 3D and not an Atmos mix... a bit sickening...I know what I am missing too because I saw it in cinema in 3D and it was great for this film. Not re-buying it now again.

I also have Exodus Gods and Kings 3D blu-ray. Why the hell wasn't that in Atmos - the plagues and parting of red sea scenes would have been perfect for Atmos!
The Atmos re-issue of Gravity isn't in 3D but the original Blu-ray releases offered the choice of either 2D or 3D versions. There will be an article directly comparing the 5.1 and Atmos mixes of Gravity soon.

So far Paramount, Warners, Universal and Lionsgate have supported Atmos but nothing to date from Fox, Disney or Sony, which is a shame as they all have plenty of films that were released at the cinema with Atmos soundtracks.

"Theadore Rex"....blu-ray.....with an Atmos surround sound remix? .....Anyone!!!! :)

I guess the title 'The Two Worst Dolby Atmos Blu-rays' wasn't as catchy ;)

......And 4K. :p

Thanks for the Top Ten Steve, it's nice to see something about Atmos.
As an early adopter it's always a bit worrying as to whether you've backed a dud but fortunately DSU is probably worth the price of an Atmos setup anyway. It would be great, in the future, to get a list of recommended non-Atmos discs that work well using DSU. Edge of Tomorrow should be right near the top.
Lucy (HK version) is a great Atmos disc.

Funnily enough I was watching The Wolverine and Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol in DSU on Sunday and it worked particularly well with both those soundtracks.

Great review of the Atmos films currently available. So far I have Transformer, Jupiter, Unbroken and Wick in my Atmos collection (and other than Wick which is a region A disc and my player as it turns out doesn't play region A discs (although it does play a region A copy of Lucy which I borrowed to test the player!). Absolutely loving Atmos and also the DSU up scaling is actually very very good on those non Atmos films. Would love Edge of Tomorrow and Interstellar in Atmos, a re-release of the Batman trilogy would be good too. Oblivion with an Atmos audio would be stunning.

Now need to add Sniper, and maybe Gravity (have the initial release non Atmos version).

Speaking of remixes, Tron Legacy would be pretty cool with Atmos audio!

The atmos mix on Gravity is fantastic and also Jupiter Ascending.
Looking forward to watching Insurgent and also Mad Max Road Fury when it's released as well.

Not the best film in the world but Dracula Untold is great with DSU! :)

but nothing to date from Fox, Disney or Sony, which is a shame as they all have plenty of films that were released at the cinema with Atmos soundtracks.

Im hoping to be Atmos ready soon Steve..but I think the studios that arnt yet pushing Atmos as you've mentioned will more than likely come to the fore when Ultra HD Bluray launches. I expect to see all UHD blus with the new codecs and maybe some re-releases with upped resolution and UHD codecs.

geogan can't really see the point in your post, you don't have a Dolby Atmos set up and no plans to upgrade in the future but you are a bit sickened because you didn't get the Atmos release of Gravity please explain?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom