Best DTS:X Blu-rays

True Romance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As we have a best Atmos blu-rays thread thought we should also have a DTS:X thread (unless I've missed it?) now the disc's are starting to trickle out. Granted not a massive list so far but early days I guess.....

See "The Big Short" and "Daddy's Home" will have an DTS:X mix.
DTS:X Blu-ray Movies | Next Generation Home Theater

So for me America Ultra has been the stand out DTS:X disc so far, very active and very dynamic. As good as any object based release so far.

Ex Machina (subtle mix, not the best demo)
Crimson Peak(really good effects)

Is Ex Machina just the US version or does the UK version also get DTS X?

Just the American, and it is region locked.

Ok cheers, will take that out of my Amazon basket.

I also have Crimson Peak waiting on Blu Ray for when I receive my new Marantz SR7010. I first saw it in a brand new cinema in the States last year and the surround effects blew me away, so I'm really looking forward to listening to it in my own dedicated room:smashin:

I've just bought The Last Witch Hunter.
It's got 7.1 but no DTS:X.

Looks like we've been stung compared to the US version.

Great, cancelled that then! Any good way or working this out before buying? What about 'The Big Short' for instance?

TBH I didn't have to buy it but I had Nectar points to use so I got it cheap.

Where's the best / cheapest place to buy imported blurays? Are the US ones the best to get?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I've just bought The Last Witch Hunter. It's got 7.1 but no DTS:X. Looks like we've been stung compared to the US version.
Yep very bad :thumbsdow
Well I am pleased to report that this is in fact incorrect! :)

FYI - Various movies will be released both as STANDARD BLU-RAY but also as the 4K UHD HDR BLU-RAY... This is due to the higher price of the latter. It looks like you bought the wrong version, which is understandable because quite frankly it's a mess and thereby very confusing! :confused:

THIS is the release version you want | CLICK HERE: The Last Witch Hunter [4K Ultra HD]

And NOT THIS version Blu-Ray release | CLICK HERE: The Last Witch Hunter [Blu-ray]

To make matters even more headache-inducing, not all 4K UHD HDR BLU-RAY upcoming releases will have Dolby Atmos or DTS:X audio... Some are just bog standard 5.1 or 7.1 surround.
:facepalm:

It is worth noting that ALL 4K UHD HDR BLU-RAYs ARE ZONE-FREE so you can buy them from the USA and use them on any UK 4K Blu-Ray player

Last edited:
Well I am pleased to report that this is in fact incorrect! :)

FYI - Various movies will be released both as STANDARD BLU-RAY but also as the 4K UHD HDR BLU-RAY... This is due to the higher price of the latter. It looks like you bought the wrong version, which is understandable because quite frankly it's a mess and thereby very confusing! :confused:

THIS is the release version you want | CLICK HERE: The Last Witch Hunter [4K Ultra HD]

And NOT THIS version Blu-Ray release | CLICK HERE: The Last Witch Hunter [Blu-ray]

To make matters even more headache-inducing, not all 4K UHD HDR BLU-RAY upcoming releases will have Dolby Atmos or DTS:X audio... Some are just bog standard 5.1 or 7.1 surround.
:facepalm:

It is worth noting that ALL 4K UHD HDR BLU-RAYs ARE ZONE-FREE so you can buy them from the USA and use them on any UK 4K Blu-Ray player

This was not to do with UHD or Blu-ray,this is about DTSx,what people were saying was the US one blu ray had the DTSx,the UK one didn't :(

So far the best one I've heard is Crimson Peak and the worst Daddy's Home.

This was not to do with UHD or Blu-ray,this is about DTSx,what people were saying was the US one blu ray had the DTSx,the UK one didn't :(
Yes, I know. :smashin:

To clarify, the 4K UHD Blu-Ray version has the DTS:X audio track... It's not the US version, but the WORLDWIDE 4K UHD Blu-Ray release... Wherein, all 4K UHD Blu-Rays are ZONE-FREE. It's the same media disc whichever country of the world that you buy it in... and you can order it from AMAZON USA, or if you are willing to wait (which I am not) you can buy the very same disc from AMAZON UK when it is released in the UK. Hence, ALL of these have the DTS:X audio.

Further to this, there is additionally the regular Blu-Ray release, which is still country specific, and the UK version of the regular Blu-Ray indeed does not have the DTS:X audio but bog standard 5.1/7.1 surround, and the US version of the regular Blu-Ray release does indeed have the DTS:X audio.

So, if you want the one with the DTS:X audio track for use in the UK you want to buy the worldwide 4K UHD Blu-Ray version and NOT the regular Blu-Ray release. Like I said it's very confusing!

Hope that clarifies matters... Got it? :)

Last edited:
Any particular stand-out chapter / scene / sequence of Crimson Peak that you can recommend for testing/demoing the DTS:X audio? :)

Nigel, the whole soundtrack is very immersive. There seems to be constant subtle surround effects that really do form that cliched 'bubble of sound'. And I think that really is the point of these new sound formats, a constant immersive experience rather than a few stand out flashy moments:)

Love your kit list by the way, very impressive:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom