Best Movies of 2019 & Comments

I remember years ago, certain shootout scenes from certain films permanently etched into my memory.
The ones that made you revisit the old dvd/Blu-ray time and time again.
Heat......after the robbery.
The Matrix......Lobby Scene.
The Dark Knight..... opening scene.

For me 2019 was John Wick Parabellum......... shootout with the dogs and THE LOBBY SCENE.

Lovely gunfire audio undisturbed by overtly load soundtracks.
Dynamic audio with loads of slam that I'm sure will have me reaching out again and again for that disc for many a year to come.
Not the best storyline.
But then again, it's normally memorable audio visual feasts that have me revisiting discs now.
I'll escape to my man cave for 1/2 an hour sometimes, get my fix from a portion of a film to scratch "that itch"

Sometimes it'll just be the opening credits/scene of Blade runner.........this year it's been John Wick :thumbsup:

But then again, it's normally memorable audio visual feasts that have me revisiting discs now.
I'll escape to my man cave for 1/2 an hour sometimes, get my fix from a portion of a film to scratch "that itch"
:thumbsup:
I used to do this a lot with the main fight scene from Reloaded. From when they enter the lift, to the meeting in the restaurant, "cause and effect", then the fight scene leading to the car chase. Perfection.

I also do a lot of disc surfing if I add a new piece of equipment, which hopefully won't be there case for some time to come.

Just played the Lobby Scene from The Matrix and Parabellum back to back on YouTube over the phone with headphones.
Even with just a phone and headphones I think for sound and impact Parabellum wins.

Cas's list - Top 10 films of 2019

10. If Beale Street could Talk
9. Toy Story 4
8. Doctor Sleep
7. John Wick 3 - Parabellum
6. Hustlers
5. Le Mans '66
4. The Irishman
3. Joker
2. Once Upon a time.... in Hollywood
1. Avengers: Endgame

A highly personal opinion, to be sure. Art House meets meets CGI, meets ultra violence, meets superheroes. But still a delightful insight.

1. Midsommar
2. Parasite
3. Us
4. Endgame
5. John Wick 3
6. Akita: Battle Angel
7. Brightburn

then I struggle. I saw Prospect this year but it wasn’t released in 2019 so doesn’t count (although I loved it). Good Boys was great fun.

you’d think from my list I’m a horror fan, which I am but I enjoyed those films more on a creative level. Horror seems to allow a creativity that some genres are afraid to use.

Overall, 2019 has had some great movies, but also a lot of forgettable fluff. With the continual rise of the streaming giants, I expect “safe” to continue to be the word of the year for 2020

I haven't seen many new releases that have interested me this year. Toy Story 4 and Le Mans '66 are both titles that I want to check out when I can find a physical/digital copy for cheap enough.

I did see Rocketman this year and, whilst a large EJ fan, I found myself to be quite disappointed as I expected it to tell his story in a much more organised manner but ended up feeling as if the movie was quite disjointed.

As for Yesterday, it was a very enjoyable movie. I liked the idea of The Beatles not existing yet only 3 people remembering their songs. I would recommend that without a doubt

Parasite best film of the year closely followed by Joker.

Midsommar and Knives Out were great fun too. Ultimately it's been a fairly dull year for the industry, here's for better films in 2020.

How did you manage to see Parasite? It doesn't come out until Feb next year.

Woke Hollywood is the worst Hollywood .

I want to see Joker (hopefully soon), the Lighthouse, Le Mans and maybe the Irishman & Once Upon a Time

My top film this year is:
1. Parasite. Easily one of the best films of the year.

Other than Parasite I don't have a particular order for the films I liked. I enjoyed them all but for different reasons:

The other 2019 subjectively good films I enjoyed are:
Us
Brightburn
Dolemite is my Name
Alita Battle Angel

Then there are the spectacle and (sometimes) dumb films I enjoyed:
Avengers Endgame
John Wick Parabellum
Spiderman Far From Home

The really dumb films I enjoyed are:
Hobbs and Shaw
Godzilla KotM
Just watched Joker so I've got a new list:
My top films this year is:
2. Joker. Arguable equal first or first. Doesn't matter.

Other than Parasite and Joker I don't have a particular order for the films I liked. I enjoyed them all but for different reasons:

Us
Brightburn
Dolemite is my Name
Alita Battle Angel

Avengers Endgame
John Wick Parabellum
Spiderman Far From Home

Hobbs and Shaw
Godzilla KotM

Other than Parasite and Joker I don't have a particular order for the films I liked. I enjoyed them all but for different reasons:

Us
Brightburn
Dolemite is my Name
Alita Battle Angel

Avengers Endgame
John Wick Parabellum
Spiderman Far From Home

Hobbs and Shaw
Godzilla KotM

You've already said that??

*delete*

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever mate but thanks for you thoughts. Completely agree on Alita Battle Angel. Its a wonderful film and was everything Matt Damons Elysium wasn't.

Dragged Across Concrete (2019)[/

Because what is the case, is this. It's 159 minutes long, one hundred and fifty nine minutes, that's pretty long. For the last 60 minutes of it, I was sat on the edge of my seat,

Because I'm pretty certain that's it's going to end up No. 1.

Wow.
Just finished this on Amazon Prime.......... tension so gripping it affected my breathing!!!!!!
Thanks for the heads up

Wow.
Just finished this on Amazon Prime.......... tension so gripping it affected my breathing!!!!!!
Thanks for the heads up
You're most welcome, when you find time I'd heartily recommend S Craig Zahlers previous film Brawl in Cell Block 99
Zahler is doing some amazing work in these films, definitely one to watch.

10/10 for Ford vs Ferrari...

New addition to my previous list.

James Mangold strikes gold again but this time With Bale and Damon.

Dragged Across Concrete was decent but way too slow and stylised for classic status IMHO.
It has it's moments but characters are really throwaway, hence the tension in the final hour I guess, and it's way overly gory.
Endgame however...The 'far from perfect' disclaimer is mincing words really.

Us
Brightburn
Dolemite is my Name
Alita Battle Angel

Avengers Endgame
John Wick Parabellum
Spiderman Far From Home

Hobbs and Shaw
Godzilla KotM
I forgot about Shadow. How did I forget about Shadow?
A film about politics and family set in an ancient Chinese kingdom. If you're interested in asian cinema, then this film is a mix of Red Cliff, Roaring Currents, Hero and House of Flying Daggers. The last two films were by the same director. If you are not then this is one of the most visually interesting films ever made. Think of the Lighthouse but not truly black and white.The sound design is no slouch either. This goes in my Good films pile for its story and excellent audiovisual presentation. The HDR and Atmos on this film are stellar. But could easily be my number 3 film of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched the 2 Popes and i would rate it higher than the films I've seen on the list.. Excellent thought provoking and superb acting

Just watched the 2 Popes and i would rate it higher than the films I've seen on the list.. Excellent thought provoking and superb acting
Are they both from Argentina ?..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom