Best OLEDs compared with Panasonic ZT60 Plasma?

mbart777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

Having found TV/Home Cinema heaven a few years ago with the Pioneer Kuro 5090 and then Panasonic ZT60, I was wondering how the latest best OLEDs 4k/HDR sets compare. Are there any significant improvements coming soon?

Thoughts and recommended models welcomed.

Many thanks

Michael

See: any of the other “plasma to OLED” threads :)

imho there’s no comparison. Plasmas were the best displays but they have been well superseded.

Hello

Having found TV/Home Cinema heaven a few years ago with the Pioneer Kuro 5090 and then Panasonic ZT60, I was wondering how the latest best OLEDs 4k/HDR sets compare. Are there any significant improvements coming soon?

Many thanks

Michael

Have a read in the 55EZ952 thread here;

Panasonic TVs Forum

I upgraded from a Panansonic GT30 to the 952 and couldn't be happier.

Whichever OLED you choose you will not be disappointed.

I had the Kuro 50 inch TV and multiple Panasonic plasma's and their latest LED full backlit DX902 58 inch. I have had an OLED for 2 months now. The LG 65B7. All I can say is that its the best TV I have ever had. Pictures look natural, just like a plasma, but black levels are on another level. Even in a dark room you could still see the black screen on a Kuro. But OLED? there are deep inky blacks and when there is no screen info, then you get ultimate black levels, owing to the OLED switching that pixel off.

Stunning!!!

I’ve recently moved from a Panasonic VT50 to the LG55B7. Watching films it is absolutely stunning. I am really happy with the move to OLED and don’t have any hesitation recommending the LG.

Calibrated ZT60 in the bedroom, calibrated LG 65E6 in the sitting room, enough said.[emoji6]

Hello

Many thanks

Michael
Any ...2k h on the clock and still love it to the bits. In fact my C6 65" is 2nd best purchase of my life only after my Panasonic shaver which I use twice a day for past 13 years :)

Immense satisfaction...

Thanks for the comments.

How does motion handling on the OLEDs compare, particularly with ball sports?

Thanks for the comments.

How does motion handling on the OLEDs compare, particularly with ball sports?

Motion is not the strong point of OLED. Your plasma will probably be better in this respect.
But OLED has better black level, contrast and HDR so overall is better.

I upgraded to an OLED last year. I had to pack my Pioneer 5090 away so I couldn't do a direct comparison but I felt that the OLED bettered the 5090 in every area other than motion.

Last week, I gave my Kuro to my parents and was able to set it up and refresh my memory. The black levels are nowhere near OLED and overall pales in comparison.

Whichever OLED you go for, you won't be disappointed in terms of image quality.

The motion on my Panny OLED is slightly better (totally subjective of course) than any of my Panny plasmas.

The motion on my LG 55B7 is just as good as my old Panasonic plasma. Haven’t noticed a difference yet.

Any ...2k h on the clock and still love it to the bits. In fact my C6 65" is 2nd best purchase of my life only after my Panasonic shaver which I use twice a day for past 13 years :)

Immense satisfaction...
Lol. What's the shaver model no?

I own a VT60 but I've calibrated a few OLEDs and I have to say, as of the 2017 models, there's no compelling reason to hold onto plasma. Though it is true that perceived motion resolution is lower on OLEDs, the way plasma builds individual frames over multiple passes comes with its own drawbacks.

What those drawbacks are differs between manufacturer and year, due to differences in how the panels are driven - with the VT60 (and other plasmas in that range) for example, vertical pans are choppy to the point that scrolling film credits are often illegible. Posterisation was also a common side effect on plasmas. In comparison, despite the lower perceived resolution, the motion is "cleaner" on OLED.

I own a VT60 but I've calibrated a few OLEDs and I have to say, as of the 2017 models, there's no compelling reason to hold onto plasma. Though it is true that perceived motion resolution is lower on OLEDs, the way plasma builds individual frames over multiple passes comes with its own drawbacks.

What those drawbacks are differs between manufacturer and year, due to differences in how the panels are driven - with the VT60 (and other plasmas in that range) for example, vertical pans are choppy to the point that scrolling film credits are often illegible. Posterisation was also a common side effect on plasmas. In comparison, despite the lower perceived resolution, the motion is "cleaner" on OLED.

Good post. If anyone is interested in understanding this further look up 'impuls vs sample-and-hold" and you'll understand what the differences are. The Sony A1 does come with BFI, but that has it';s own issues, especially on a fairly low-refresh-rate panel.

Fwiw I have found that the vertical scroll film titles problem on Panasonic plasmas completely disappears if you turn off all image processing. Assuming you have a good source anyway. It seems to be a frame interpolation problem rather than a display problem.

If OLED did 3D and I didn't have a VT65 plasma that I'm not ready to write off the investment on just yet then I would buy and be very happy with an OLED, no question.

I had an LG 65E7 to replace a Pioneer LX5090 plasma and thought it was great for a while, but after a month had to return it because, rightly or wrongly, I found the motion really bad compared to the Kuro

I tried every combination of menu items to alleviate it but couldn’t hand on heart say I enjoyed it more than the plasma. The blacks and detail were great. Perhaps we ought to try a Panasonic OLED At some point?

Fwiw I have found that the vertical scroll film titles problem on Panasonic plasmas completely disappears if you turn off all image processing.

No motion interpolation or enhancement features engaged, just reporting what my eyes perceive. It's a great TV, it's served me really well, but it's time for it to go to pasture.

Motion on OLED's is different to Plasma, but that doesn't mean worse. People coming from large CRT's didn't like Plasma at first because it didn't flicker enough. Some people even missed the scan lines of CRT TV!
Plasma motion suits our eyes better because of impulse vs sample-and-hold effect. It means it can take a while while your eyes adjust to the new type of image (same going to LCD). Plasma has it's own set of issues with motion. I saw yellow/blue phosphor trails that were distracting (i also see rainbow flashes on DLP projectors as well). But i still love Plasma.

I switched off all forms of motion processing on my OLED and accepted the picture "as is". I found any juddering tended to be in the source, so any processing would have just made it worse/jumpy.
I've not noticed any issues with football or any other sport that has drawn my attention.
I think if you start watching OLED with motion settings on (creating the soap opera effect), then i can imagine all footage would look juddery/jumpy there after.

To be honest, until i see it mentioned on here, i forget it's even a issue (for some people)...

Just gone back to a plasma after 3 months of A1's. The black level is basically OLEDs strong point but I think that is only really an issue if you watch in a bat cave, TBH I have not noticed the greyer black levels on the plasma affecting my enjoyment of the screen with most content - if you go to the cinema there are no absolute blacks and surely that represents the pinnacle of movie viewing. OLED is also brighter but only really in HDR and then it's no where near as bright as LCD of course. I also find the motion better to my eyes on the plasma, everything seems more instant and real.

Last edited:
If OLED did 3D and I didn't have a VT65 plasma that I'm not ready to write off the investment on just yet then I would buy and be very happy with an OLED, no question.
Pity then that you didn't buy an LG E6 like I did, because the 3D on it is nothing short of jawdropping.

Pity also that they decided to drop 3D from the 7th gen.

Martin.

Last edited:
Just gone back to a plasma after 3 months of A1's. The black level is basically OLEDs strong point but I think that is only really an issue if you watch in a bat cave, TBH I have not noticed the greyer black levels on the plasma affecting my enjoyment of the screen with most content - if you go to the cinema there are no absolute blacks and surely that represents the pinnacle of movie viewing. OLED is also brighter but only really in HDR and then it's no where near as bright as LCD of course. I also find the motion better to my eyes on the plasma, everything seems more instant and real.
Horses for curses. I watch my blu rays only in pitch black and no, cinema is not the pinnacle. It has worse, much worse PQ then I do at home. For those reason I no longer go to cinemas (not to mention those are deafening loud for no reason). I grow my BD collection instead.

Watching 3d content in pitch black room when out of complete darkness 3d elements pop in to life makes for most realistic feeling of being there I ever had without actually being there. Not even high end VR setup gives you that at it's current iteration.

For example scene from guardians of the galaxy 2 when this flying thingie weapon kills people in prison. It has to be experienced to understand. And this is just one example.

Calibrate your OLED and be amazed ever after.

Last edited:
Lol. What's the shaver model no?
Sorry about the delay on holidays ATM! :) ES 8249 if memory serves me well :) Absolutely brilliant shaver :). One of the last ones, if not the last one, top models that were still made in Japan. Current ones are made in China. Not sure if it affects their longevity but I guess i will learn about it when mine fails and I will replace it with another top Panasonic model.

Horses for curses. I watch my blu rays only in pitch black and no, cinema is not the pinnacle. It has worse, much worse PQ then I do at home. For those reason I no longer go to cinemas (not to mention those are deafening loud for no reason). I grow my BD collection instead.

Watching 3d content in pitch black room when out of complete darkness 3d elements pop in to life makes for most realistic feeling of being there I ever had without actually being there. Not even high end VR setup gives you that at it's current iteration.

For example scene from guardians of the galaxy 2 when this flying thingie weapon kills people in prison. It has to be experienced to understand. And this is just one example.

Calibrate your OLED and be amazed ever after.

Interesting point. My wife is not keen on wearing 3D specs and watching scifi in a dark room which I guess means l'll miss out on that interstellar experience. I do enjoy cinema though, maybe its just the popcorn

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom