best set up on denonx2600 for sound

mazooma

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just a bit of advice,,so got denon x2600 and it feels sometimes i havent quite got the sound set up quite right, as every dvd i put on im usully tweaking it or changing settings levels, i had a yamaha amp before, once it was set up it was fine never had to adjust levels, just chose what sound field and how loud i wanted it,,,so ill put in what i have it usually set up,,so,,, input level at +12 dynamic eq at reference,, dynamic sound on,,,dynamic volume off,,, cebtre level +12,,subwoofer +10,,, speaker levels now depending what dvd the centre i put down to about 3-8,, subwoofer +10 left +10 right +10 surround left +12 surround right +12 bsl +12 bsr +12,,, cinema eq off,,, usually for films i choose the double dolby surround,,, for music and music videos multi channel stereo,, problem is some how it sounds unbalanced, like some films centre seems to quiet or too loud , doesnt ever seem like am totally satisfied with the sound , like its kind of set up wrong , i do like it loud and can play it loud, but sometimes i think my yamaha and tanoy sfx5.1 was a better more even sound and films somehow just sounded better,,,am convinced i still havent set it up right!!and yes i used the audessey set up,,any help would be greatly appreciated!!ty :)

Your speaker levels and distances are determined by what the receiver measured during the initial setup calibration or any subsequent auto calibrations.

It is generally suggest to try not use Dynamic EQ or Volume. THe EQ option is particularly frowned upion by many.

Try setting the Audyssey option to FLAT as opposed to REFERENCE.

You can manually configure the bass management post calibration and it would be suggested that all speakers be set to SMALL with crossover no lower than 80Hz. You would however be advised not to set crossovers below a setting the AVR had arrived at if it is in fact higher than 80Hz. THe LPF of LFE setting should be left set to 120Hz and the subwoofer needs to be set to LDE as opposed to LFE + MAIN.

Hi guys, just a bit of advice,,so got denon x2600 and it feels sometimes i havent quite got the sound set up quite right, as every dvd i put on im usully tweaking it or changing settings levels, i had a yamaha amp before, once it was set up it was fine never had to adjust levels, just chose what sound field and how loud i wanted it,,,so ill put in what i have it usually set up,,so,,, input level at +12 dynamic eq at reference,, dynamic sound on,,,dynamic volume off,,, cebtre level +12,,subwoofer +10,,, speaker levels now depending what dvd the centre i put down to about 3-8,, subwoofer +10 left +10 right +10 surround left +12 surround right +12 bsl +12 bsr +12,,, cinema eq off,,, usually for films i choose the double dolby surround,,, for music and music videos multi channel stereo,, problem is some how it sounds unbalanced, like some films centre seems to quiet or too loud , doesnt ever seem like am totally satisfied with the sound , like its kind of set up wrong , i do like it loud and can play it loud, but sometimes i think my yamaha and tanoy sfx5.1 was a better more even sound and films somehow just sounded better,,,am convinced i still havent set it up right!!and yes i used the audessey set up,,any help would be greatly appreciated!!ty :)
All your speaker levels numbers seem way too high. Are these numbers ones you set yourself? or are they the results of running an Audyssey setup? What speakers are you using?

As above, your setting seems to be wrong. Those plus figures seem way too high for a calibrated reading. Have you run Audyssey and have you done so correctly?

Hey guys, yeah I ran audessey correctly but just turned up the levels myself, think they were all set at zero, I thought that just made them all louder like individual volumes, is there a setting that they sshould be left at? Like before I'd turn volume to about 55-60 on main, now with them all boosted it sounds really loud at anything over 30, is there a reason they shouldn't be turned up am I losing quality? Oh and thEy are mass monitor speakers!

Hey guys, yeah I ran audessey correctly but just turned up the levels myself, think they were all set at zero, I thought that just made them all louder like individual volumes, is there a setting that they sshould be left at? Like before I'd turn volume to about 55-60 on main, now with them all boosted it sounds really loud at anything over 30, is there a reason they shouldn't be turned up am I losing quality? Oh and thEy are mass monitor speakers!
The reason you are having problems is because you altered all the levels from what Audyssey set them at to balance the speakers. Hardly surprising then that the audio to you sounds unbalanced.

Run Audyssey again and leave the speaker levels where Audyssey sets them. The settings it makes will produce reference level 75dB (which movies are mastered at) at the 0dB volume settings of the X2600.

Agree with the advice above.

It would be better of you could change your volume display from the absolute scale to the dB scale. That will give a better indication to where your volume is compared to the reference level of 75dB, which is calculated to show 0dB.

Remember after running Audyssey to change your speaker size to small and set your crossovers no lower than what Audyssey has detected the roll offs to be. It's fine to higher those crossovers with 80hz being the recommended level.

Ah ok I will try that I did just think by turning speaker levels up equally individually all it would do is make them louder, without compromising the ssound, but yeah maybe it has! Thanks will try that

Ah ok I will try that I did just think by turning speaker levels up equally individually all it would do is make them louder, without compromising the ssound, but yeah maybe it has! Thanks will try that
If you want to turn the volume up just increase it across the range with the volume control on the remote.

The receiver calibrates itself relative to a standardise reference level and each speaker is levelled to this relative to your primary listening location. THis location should be where you locate the mic initially during the calibration.

The SPL measurement used is referered to as being relative to reference. You can read more about that here:

It is preferable that you use the relative to reference db volume scale with AV receivers if that option is available. You'd want to change your current absolute master volume scale to the relative db scale. You can read as to what the differences are here:

While you can tweak the levels slighly post calibration, you shouldn't veer too far away from the levels the receiver arrived at during the calibration or your setup will no longer be calibrated in a manner that will portray what the person who mixed the soundtrack wanted you to hear in the manner he wanted you to hear it.

Ah ok that's very helpful thanks! I judt aassumed that it made the speakers louder without impacting the sound, I remember when I first got it did sound good, then was wrecked one night, messed about with settings, then after that never sounded right, so eventually ran setup again, but just put all the levels up, so I'll try again, is it best to just hit reset on the receiver? Then run again?

If you want to increase the volume then simply increase the master volume as opposed to messing with the speaker levels.

Simply run the calibration again and the manual alterations you've made will be erased by the receiver and will be replaced by the measurements the receiver took during the calibration.

You'd need to readdress speaker size and crossover configurations post calibration because these settings are also erased by the calibration.

ok tried that , sounds really flat somehow, think because ive taken advice turned off that meqxt think i defo prefer it on,,so all levels are reset to zero, exceptions centre at 1.5 and sub at 5.5,,, can you increase the input source volume or would you keep that at zero as well?? oh another thing and be awesome if you could fix this, before i could choose when i was on bluetooth meqxt , dy vol and dy eq , now unless its all zone stereo (coming out centre and left and right channels only)will only let me choose meqxt and theres a small z2 next to pcm and dig on the alpha display,,i noticed, done the same on dvd till i managed to get rid of it then i could choose all three, but cant remember how i resolved it on dvd,,help!!! thanks :) oh tried main button on remote and clickin z2 on and off still says it tho!

Run the receiver's Audyssey calibration. THe levels will be automatically configure by this ca;libration. Setting them all to - isn't going to result in all the speakers being correctly levelled relative to you seated listening location.

oh to make it clear i hit reset on the denon, then set it up from scratch with the audessey set up, it basically just cleared all levels to zero apart from centre and sub, just sounds flat without meqxt tbh,, my secondary question is how do i get rid of the z2 highlighted next to the pcm and dig on the alpha,,as am sure its stopping me selecting dy eq and dy vol,,ta!

You may have done it, but you appear to have then gone and manually set the levels all to 0. You need to leave the levels set where the calibration set them.

I can only assume the Z2 relaes to Xone 2? If so then it would appear that you've engaged the receiver's second zone? Press the zone 2 button and then use the standby button on the remote to turn the second zone off. You can then revert the remote back to the main zone.

yeah you were right turned it off, but still unable to select dy vol and dy eq on bluetooth just meqxt, but i used to before? na man not touched the levels before reset the were all up around 12 after reset and audessey set up it levelled them all at zero apart from centre at 1.5 and sub at 5,5 , does that not sound right?

Of you rant the calibration and if the levels are as you say then that will be what the receiver set them to.

ok i shall try with a film in a bit!! you know how to reactivate my dyeq and dy vol back on so i can select them?

You mean Dynamic EQ (DEQ)? You simply go into the Audyssey configurations and turn it ON.

i know, its not highlighted that you can choose it, only meqxt is when you go into audessey, i used to be able to but now its just greyed out

Is Audysset MultEQ engaged? You can only engage the Dynamic EQ and or Volume if Audyssey MultEQ is also turned on.

yeah thats the meqxt??ive got that on reference, but dy vol and dy eq is greyed out

Hey guys thanks for helping me out, that did work doing audessey set up again was much mo're balanced, however week later and **** knows what's haopened, it's like it has a mind of its own, I thought before it was me messing with ssettings that was aaffecting it, but for some reason after a week or two it just seems to set itself onto random sound settings.

So all I did yesterday, in the morBing worked fine, came in from work, put DVD on, selected double Dolby like usual, started noticed that the centre and front left and right were really quiet while all other speakers normal, tried different sound settings, same they sounded distant, tinny, and echoey.. Hadn't touched any levels at all, and when I switched to Bluetooth same, front three speakers really quiet.. Now I know this seems far out, but my DVD player is getting on, could it affect the settings on the amp?! help as its doing my nut don't really want to be having to reset it every week to set up audessay !!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom