Best setup in an awkward space

stattmone

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on how best to equip my living room with an upgraded TV and sound system.

As you'll see from the picture below, our living room is a super awkward space with the door directly where the TV would be ideally placed!

No, we cant rearrange the room really; this is the only way it works to get the furniture in the room.
Also, just to add to the fun :)... the sofa is off-centre... the arm of it broadly lines up with the right-hand edge of the door

When we moved in I had a set of floor standers. I had to give those up as there's not enough space for them (also kids... dog... all traffic for the house passes through this room and out to the kitchen door, just off camera to the right!)

I replaced those with a set of 3020i bookshelfs, and a 3060S sub

The sound I'm getting is very off balance. Unsurprisingly, there is a huge amount of bloom in bass/mid (despite several hours fiddling with crossover), and treble is nowhere to be found.

I'd been living with it, but then the TV started to go on the blink. So now, again, I'm rethinking the whole setup.
I'm broadly thinking about beefier bookshelf units, and/or a sound bar

Here's what I'd love to achieve:
  • A 55 inch TV (the one in the pic is an ancient 37 inch HD)... 55 inch TV would come roughly halfway into the current position of the right hand speaker
  • A balanced sound without floorstanders, rich low bass for my music tastes, but also plenty of detail in mid/treble
  • Suitable Music and film/tv use

Any advice gratefully received!

IMG_6396 - Copy.jpg

I think without rearranging the room, it'll be really difficult to position things properly.

I'm generally against anything which isn't AVR + good speakers.. you could get away with a 2.1 setup but honestly, this is probably one of those orientations where I'd suggest getting either a TV with awesome sound (Sony OLED range with the sound behind the screen) or a soundbar.

The issue with speakers is they do need to be orientated towards the listener to a degree... if you're completely off centre and the TV is slanted.. its just going to look messy.

If you can rearrange the room, then obviously options open up.

I'd just get a Sony AG9 55'' and see if you like the sound from it. If you don't, then we can see what other options open up.

Any other photos of the room. One photo don't show much at all. How about a floor plan with dimensions?

Here's the floorplan and a 3d mockup of the current setup. You can see the sub is currently in the alcove there (and presumably contributing to the high bass bloom from the acoustics/resonance)

Due to room awkwardness and "spousal negotiations", the furniture cant move!

Will check out the AG9 and other tv/soundbar combos, and open to other bright ideas too - cheers

floorplan.png
3d view 1.png
3d view 2.png

Wow. Feel sorry for your situation. It really is an awkward room. Is it possible to block up the door next to the TV & maintain access to the rest of the house from the other door? I presume not. Is that a wall unit directly opposite the TV? if so could you move it the other end of your settee. That would move the settee to be more central to the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom