Best speaker connections for a Yamaha rx-a

Atomcom

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to be picking up a new Yamaha RX-A3080 over the weekend. I will be taking the opportunity to change my speaker connectors as well, Currently have a mixed load of banana plugs, most of which are over 10 years old and the springs are loose.

Should I just get a load of new banana plugs, change to spades or just just go raw and go bare wire to the posts? I know with some AVRs, spades and bare wires connections can be a pain in the arse as there is little space between the speaker posts to get things or fingers around !

Last edited:
there is little space between the speaker posts to get things fingers around?
I had real problems with bare wire binding posts coming loose on my Denon for the reason you posted above. It could be worth you buying new banana blugs, I use deadbolts, checking the wire for discolouration, cleaning and trimming if needed and use with the new receiver.

The most efficient connection would be bare wire. If you add terminations to the wire then you are basically adding elements that impede the signal and add impedance. Banana plugs or spade connectors are utilised to add convenience and don't improve the conveyance of the signal signal. Whether you use plugs or spade connectors would depend upon how often you'd need to disconnect the speakers and how secure the screw down binding posts on the amp are. There is some reasoning favouring the use of banana pluga in order to avoid instances where the screw down binding posts cannot be relied upon to hold the unterminated speakers wire securely.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom