Question best streamer for catch-up

Basinguy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I used to use my PS3 for watching catchup TV, but some years ago ITV dropped the platform, it seems that the channel 5 app has stopped working recently too.

I did buy an amazon fire stick some years ago, and it works OK, but the menu has become so slow its almost unusable now, (strangely it has no problem playing HD video when it does get going, but clicking across a menu seems too much to ask (planned obsolescence?))

So i'm wondering what is the best option out there, i need something that can do all the normal tv services (BBC, ITV, CH4 & CH5) I don't pay for any extra subscriptions so Netflix, Amazon, Disney etc not required.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Note, nvidia shield, does not have All4. I have the 4k firestick, it seems ok to me.

Perhaps a fresh install on your firestick would help. If you need extra space there is a way to use a usb stick as extra storage

Thanks for the reply.

I was looking at either a nowtv or Roku stick, or a newer Amazon stick but the amazon-heavy-ness of it is somewhat off-putting.

Perhaps a laptop and a hdmi cable is the best option.

I don't think storage is an issue, I only have the few TV apps installed.

I have previously done a factory reset and a clear cache but no help :(

Hi Nerox, I had exactly the same problem with my 1st gen fire tv stick. Booting up and negotiating menus took forever ! Playback was ok ish with the occasional stutter. I needed a streaming device for Disney + so took a chance on a Roku Premiere stick. For £29 it was worth a punt. I've had a week now and I'm very happy with it. Does everything my old fire tv stick did with all the catch up channels and some.

Hi Nerox, I had exactly the same problem with my 1st gen fire tv stick. Booting up and negotiating menus took forever ! Playback was ok ish with the occasional stutter. I needed a streaming device for Disney + so took a chance on a Roku Premiere stick. For £29 it was worth a punt. I've had a week now and I'm very happy with it. Does everything my old fire tv stick did with all the catch up channels and some.

Thanks for the advice, i'll certainly take a look :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom