Best tv for bright room

Johns1pr

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 75" tv that will do well. Leaning towards the Samsung mu9000, but would appreciate any other recommendations.

Thanks!

You're in the states?
No TV should have any problems in a bright room so I wouldn't worry about that too much. From a quick check on the Best Buy website the MU9000 seems like very poor value for money when the Sony X900E (a better TV) can be had for less. Vizios are usually good value for money and are worth a look, I think the M series is available in 75". If you are going to be using HDR you'll want the Sony at the very least as cheaper options won't be any good with HDR.

Yes, in the states. The tv will be getting direct sunlight for some of the day, so I'd like the tv that handles glare/reflections best.

Yes, in the states. The tv will be getting direct sunlight for some of the day, so I'd like the tv that handles glare/reflections best.

According to Rtings the MU9000 is best at handling reflections but it's advantage would appear to be small over the X900E. The X900E is the significantly better TV in terms of PQ so I would say the Sony is the better pick. Here in the UK the Samsung is cheaper but you can get the Sony for less in the states making it the obvious choice IMO. They do suggest reflections may be an issue on the Vizio though so perhaps forget that one. What will you be watching on the TV and do you need wide viewing angles?

According to Rtings the MU9000 is best at handling reflections but it's advantage would appear to be small over the X900E. The X900E is the significantly better TV in terms of PQ so I would say the Sony is the better pick. Here in the UK the Samsung is cheaper but you can get the Sony for less in the states making it the obvious choice IMO. They do suggest reflections may be an issue on the Vizio though so perhaps forget that one. What will you be watching on the TV and do you need wide viewing angles?
Interesting, appreciate the insight. Primarily for using the tv for sports viewing, occasionally gaming and movies. Viewing angle is relatively important given room setup, but from the research I've done, none of the tv's perform too well in that area.

Last edited:
All the TVs mentioned so far use VA panels that aren't much good more than 30° off centre, in return they offer good black levels and contrast which are vital aspects of PQ. IPS panels are the other way around, poor contrast but wider viewing angles. I very rarely recommended IPS panel TVs to be honest but they may be better for your usage if you're always watching in a bright room from a wider viewing angle. Be warned that if you do like to watch a movie in the evening though the experience will be pretty bad on an IPS TV.

What kind of viewing angles do you need? As already mentioned VA type panels on the best TVs have narrow viewing angles. If you need wider viewing angles than approx 30 degrees you're looking at downsizing to an OLED at 65" or taking a hit in PQ overall (especially in dark conditions) by going for an LCD with an IPS type panel.

The reflectivity of the TV is one element, but the overall brightness of the TV is important too. On a TV that's turned off you can see reflections even in relatively low light, but they vanish as soon as the TV is turned on because they're much more difficult to see against a bright surface.

In a well lit room a high brightness will make reflections less distracting and increase contrast so the TV looks less washed out.

Normally the choice for that is the Sony XE93 but that's only available in 55" and 65" and while the ZD9 and XE94 are almost as bright they're a lot more money.

i agree with you

The reflectivity of the TV is one element, but the overall brightness of the TV is important too. On a TV that's turned off you can see reflections even in relatively low light, but they vanish as soon as the TV is turned on because they're much more difficult to see against a bright surface.

In a well lit room a high brightness will make reflections less distracting and increase contrast so the TV looks less washed out.

Normally the choice for that is the Sony XE93 but that's only available in 55" and 65" and while the ZD9 and XE94 are almost as bright they're a lot more money.

yes you are rightly said

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom