Best TVs of 2019 - Editor's Choice Awards - news discussion

Great to see gaming being given a good amount of consideration :smashin:. It's a huge sector yet for many years seemed to be given little thought / mention within reviews, never mind sets being given awards for their suitability :).

I see we don't have best hdr tv award now. We have one each for oled and lcd. keep up the good work
It makes sense, you are either in the LCD camp or the Oled camp, so nice to quickly see whats the best in your camp.

I'm not a gaming guy so much any more but I saw Mortal Kombat in HDR on the LG TV at a TV shootout. It blew away the Panasonic and Sony OLEDS as well as the Samsung QLED. Of all the tests, this was the most clear cut. It's not the the others looked bad, it's just that the colours and contrast literally lept off the screen. In fact it looked so good that the Panasonic Rep thought it was his TV lol.

Was gonna say how come the Gz2000 didn't win the best premium tv when it won 3 of the awards with best home cinema and best HDR.

But the Philips does look classy, and my opinion was the best looking tv this year. Plus the great sound makes it a worthy winner.

Agree with pretty much all of the awards there,but thought webOs would come top,but haven't spent any time with Samsung's one.

Glad to see the OS (UI) having a category and I hope there's more pressure put on manufacturers to support previous years with new software features going into current models. The wide selection of apps on 2018 LG were also very functional and WebOS an easy switcher, but LG wont add HDR10+ for Prime and there's no sign of Apple TV+ for 2018 or before LG or Britbox on LG - although this could be a choice of the streamers.

best gaming response screen out there!

Shouldn't have the LG 88" Z9 won the best premium oled? And the best 88 8k oled,and best oled over 20k:D:smashin:

Sony be like....

170921-jordan-crying.png

Still would like to see awards for:

Best TV under £500 (as this is a bracket for most students / kids etc)

and

Best TV under or equal to 50 inches

My only concern and it really relates to the general public. If you ask 1000 people off the street is a £1000 55" TV a 'Budget' model very few would say yes. I dare say many would think it is a expensive TV.

So yes the Q70 is a good gaming TV but it is far from budget. Lets face it a budget 55" TV is £400-£500.

Still would like to see awards for:

Best TV under £500 (as this is a bracket for most students / kids etc)

and

Best TV under or equal to 50 inches
They have to be items we have reviewed and there is no interest in TVs under £500 or smaller screen sizes. We have spent the time in the past trying to cover these items and nobody read them or showed any interest. When you get to that price point and screen size, it seems people are not interested in reviews, they just go and buy what looks good to them.

Wait what?

Best Home Cinema TV - Panasonic GZ2000
Best HDR OLED TV - Panasonic GZ2000
Best TV innovation - Panasonic GZ2000
Best TV under £1500 - Panasonic GZ950
Best gaming TV - LG C9

Best overall TV..... LG C9

I've said it before and I'll stay it again. Panasonic are going to quit trying to deliver the best accurate picture (especially out of the box accuracy). What's the point? might aswell just pay for HDMI 2.1 certification and you win TV of the year

Wait what?

Best Home Cinema TV - Panasonic GZ2000
Best HDR OLED TV - Panasonic GZ2000
Best TV innovation - Panasonic GZ2000
Best TV under £1500 - Panasonic GZ950
Best gaming TV - LG C9

Best overall TV..... LG C9

I've said it before and I'll stay it again. Panasonic are going to quit trying to deliver the best accurate picture (especially out of the box accuracy). What's the point? might aswell just pay for HDMI 2.1 certification and you win TV of the year

Yes, I totally stand by my choices here.

Yes, the Panasonic is a great TV and is superb in some areas and lacks in others.

The Best Overall TV is the C9, it offers better UI, better smart TV, image quality that is just as accurate out of the box and calibrated, but perhaps lacks slightly out of the box with colour against the Panasonic, but it's a small difference. Plus, you get a far more advanced AutoCal system and the unique tone map editor where you can enter the exact measured peak brightness and also manually adjust the tone map to suit that specific TV, the Panasonic doesn't offer this. And then you have the excellent gaming input lag of 12.8ms and HDMI 2.1, so yes, in my opinion having lived with all of these TVs, and actually compared them to each other side-by-side, that is my conclusion.
Having won so many awards I think Panasonic will continue to champion the enthusiast market with even better next year.
Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, the Panasonic is a great TV and is superb in some areas and lacks in others.

The Best Overall TV is the C9, it offers better UI, better smart TV, image quality that is just as accurate out of the box and calibrated, but perhaps lacks slightly out of the box with colour against the Panasonic, but it's a small difference. Plus, you get a far more advanced AutoCal system and the unique tone map editor where you can enter the exact measured peak brightness and also manually adjust the tone map to suit that specific TV, the Panasonic doesn't offer this. And then you have the excellent gaming input lag of 12.8ms and HDMI 2.1, so yes, in my opinion having lived with all of these TVs, and actually compared them to each other side-by-side, that is my conclusion.
Having won so many awards I think Panasonic will continue to champion the enthusiast market with even better next year.
Phil great choices and i agree. Unfortunately many won't, guess thats the love of the hobby

It was just a interesting comical observation, not a disagreement.

I bet we won't see a 'Custom Pro Panel' in Panasonic's 2020 line up though

I bet we won't see a 'Custom Pro Panel' in Panasonic's 2020 line up though
Why not? It won best HDR OLED TV. It pushed the game on and may very well have pushed LG and others to try and better it.

You can please some of the people all of the time....

Good stuff, Phil.

Why not? It won best HDR OLED TV. It pushed the game on and may very well have pushed LG and others to try and better it.

The price and the late release of the GZ2000 seems to be reflective of the engerneering process for the 'Custom Pro Panel'.

I know it was awarded pretty much all picture sub categories (it did in other reviewers awards also), I just feel Panasonic may see that the market priorities have changed and as all OLED screens are good why make the investment and effort to make them better when a GZ950 with HDMI 2.1, advanced Auto cal software and more apps would have given them more chance of bagging 'TV of the year'.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom