Best value < 42" TVs of 2014 so far...

jetman

Established Member
Reaction score
What are the best value under 42 inch TVs of 2014 so far? My preference is to buy a 1080p 40 inch model, but if necessary I could probably accommodate up to a 42 inch model.

Richer Sounds are doing the Samsung UE40H6400 with 400Hz Clear Motion Rate (motion processing) at £499. Looks like a cracking deal! Has anyone had a play on this? Is it a 100Hz or 200Hz panel?

Or there is 2013's Samsung UE40F6740 for £549.95 at John Lewis. This set has 600Hz CMR and micro-dimming, perhaps rendering smoother motion and enhanced contrast versus the H6400? However it lacks the quad-core processor of the 2014 models, so presumably user interface and internet utility not so satisfactory. The equivalent 2014 version, the UE40H6700 currently retails at £799.95... Above my price bracket for the moment, and don't think I can wait until the autumn for a better deal!

What about Panasonic or Philips TVs?

It seems the 39 inch and below Panasonics don't have fast enough motion processing for my eyes, I checked out their 100Hz models last year and could see obvious motion judder that made viewing uncomfortable.

I saw a Philips 40PFL8007T last year and thought the picture was excellent, very clear with stable motion, I could easily imagine being drawn into a movie. A good looking set with strong audio but let down by frustratingly slow user interface. There are still a few available at Richer Sounds for £549.95, a very good deal if you can get the picture how you want it, navigate programme guide through separate set top box and aren't fussed about too slow to be useful smart tv features.

Last edited:
Crikey, just noticed Currys have slashed price of 40H600 to £450... that's very aggressive pricing! And price on 40H6670 with 600Hz CMR, micro-dimming, plus nicer stand is £599.

But the TV that's really got my eye at the moment is the Panasonic TX-40AS640B with 1,200Hz processing for £499. Has anyone checked it out? I didn't know Panasonic had this specification in a 40 inch model (42 would be going larger than I'd like for the space available). Unfortunately it is exclusive to Currys/PC World, so dubious after-sales support and no 5 year guarantee but at that price I guess I could take a chance.

Last edited:
That was one I'm considering as well. The 39AS600 seems, on the face of it, to be a far inferior specification. I don't really care about 3D or the 'smart apps', just looking for something with a good picture for SD/HD and sports with good sound built-in. Bit annoyed it's only available via Currys/PC World as I know if it breaks or is dud out of the box they would be really difficult to deal with whereas the 39AS600 is available from stores I'd be happy to deal with.

Last edited:
Presumably that was a price match, might be able to find another

That said, £599 is typical of JLs pricing structure, while anything with pennies in the cost isn't, so indeed that may be a match. How much is it at say currys?

Currys don't stock the H6700, but have an exclusive on the H6670, currently retailing at £599. The 6670 is the exact same spec and design, it appears to be identical in all but model number. Would JL price match that, do you think? I'm guessing not as bureaucratically speaking it isn't the same model... Would certainly be worth asking them though.
Buy SAMSUNG UE40H6670 Smart 3D 40" LED TV | Free Delivery | Currys

Last edited:
Good question: I'm not quite convinced by the H6400 yet, but the offer is staring at me. When I looked at it in RS the picture definition wasn't as sharp as I would expect, but it was a tiny shop and I was forced to stand about 1m from the screen! Some customer feedback, I think it was on JL website reported motion blur, 2 or 3 people gave 2 star reviews putting some doubt in my mind over accuracy of the professional reviews or consistency of production. Then I'm not that keen on the claw stand and fear the gimmicky football button will haunt me. But having said that, any sensible person would probably take a chance on it: if it disappoints it can always be returned...

The H6700/H6670 has some superior picture technology with 600Hz CMR and micro-dimming taking picture quality to the next level, but still relatively good value compared with the H7000. I think it is the sweet spot of the Samsung tv range, it also has a far better looking stand in my opinion.

Last edited:
The av forum and HDTV test reviews are favourable. I could be tempted by the 50" next spring when the price is rock bottom

Currys offer some 5 year warranties, but presumably not that one. Give a JL match a go, all they can say is no

I think some heavily discounted prices (eg, 40H6400) might go up again after the world cup, and possibly remain so till near autumn... Thought I saw a note that Richer Sounds are putting price on 40H6400 up again on 16th June, but just checked website and can't confirm this now...

However, with very new models like the Panasonic AS740 there is still substantial scope for discounting from the RRP.

I won't buy until this time next year unless something happens to my current TV which is fine

Done. Will post forum once I get a reply from JL...
"Thank you for your price match request for the Samsung UE40H6700 smart television, product code: 82432035.

In order to apply a price reduction on a purchase, the criteria in our pricing policy must be met. I regret that after review the request you have submitted does not match all or parts of this policy.

John Lewis will validate a price match if the competitors' product is identical to the product we sell in terms of make, model number, colour and size. This approach ensures consistency for all our customers and ensures the policy is transparent.

The television supplied by Currys is a newer model, with slightly different specifications. As they are not considered the same item by the manufacturer we are unable to consider them comparable.

Therefore, on this occasion I am sorry I cannot match the price offered by Currys. If you would like to view more information about Never Knowingly Undersold and our pricing you can do so on our website. I have provided a link to the form below for your convenience:

Never Knowingly Undersold

I am sorry I have not been able to reduce the price on this occasion. If you require any further information or assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,"

As expected unfortunately. There is always a chance that JL will bring their price down again, if they do so within 28 days you can request a refund of the difference

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom