Best way to get Hi8 into PC and edited together for HD tv ?

Merlin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have lost my Hi8 digitised recrodings and need to redo them, but the previous PC had firewire, this one has usb. Video card GTX970 has no video input.
filmed on a sony CCD V700 which died,
I had bought a Sony GV-D200 which played the Hi8 and outputted via S-Video or i-Link and red white phonos for sound.
PC hasnt i-Link input, does any now ?, and has no Firewire, just usb 2 or 3.
How do I get this Hi8 into the PC again ?
Last time I used my Panasonic bluray and fed it in at front inputs S-video, then DVD-RAM disc to PC, and that becomes .mpg after I quickstream fix it in Videoredo.

Unable to as its got a fault, on analog capture it creates a faint margin top and bottom, so that avenue is closed now.

For editing I have premier Pro CS3 which loves avi but hates .mpg, I think PremiereCC has been revamped to tackle mpg but I am not doing subs !!! so really I need avi.

avi is better quality than .mpg is it not ? This will be edited for a HD tv, so wish to maximise quality and retain what was there.

Other editors which like .mpg I trialled all had issues to my amazement, my hope was to use them, such as vegas or daVinci, alas they were no use, gutted in fact, so I will have to carry on with Premiere ProCS3 and avi. HitFilmExpress looks good but its win10 so I cant even trial it, I am win7 64bit pro. yes I know its end of life but no money to revamp a hi end v complex PC.

How do I get my Hi8 into avi ?

My Panasonic MiniDV camcorder has S-Video socket, a AV in/out small hole, a half moon digital (to usb) edit (mini), a i Link DV socket. it might be of use as its playback is dead, motherboard issue I am told. Do I feed it iLink from the GV200 and is that video and sound in one lead , then get such out via usb D shaped socket I mentioned it has ?

Merlin

Why you dont buy cheap firewire pci express card from ebay?? I have two digital8 camcorders, and all tape i digitize with this FireWire card :).. works simple, and you can get the best possible picture to capture from it, even analog, because of dv-avi format.. I will never capture by some usb card, cuz it will not give me the best possible picture :)

Hi,
I bought a Startech firewire card for PCI slot but plugging in the Sony GV D200 froze the PC, they said chhipset not compatible with the sony device. I tried the old laptop that has firewire and success, so have been capturing all Hi8 using that, initially using two firewire leads with female to female coupling in middle for length, but after getting 'snow' after 5 mins or so which got worse until total picture breakdown, using a single lead has overcome the snow. Would love to know why.

I now have many 20Gb captures and a full usb drive. and a lot of editing together of reattempted clips !

Redoing those I did as .mpg using S-Video as I could see slight frogspawn on edges.
50 or more tapes x 20Gb is a pain though, had to buy a 2Tb drive for them.

Once I have edited them together I then wonder, do I save as avi and how to play them on TV given their massive size, or convert to .mpg to fit onto usb stick but then that reduces the quality, or would mp4 be best, advice on how to save the edited files needed please. Some friends dont have usb slot TV's adding too the problem.

I also love seeing them in apparent HD because they are on a small screen, so to have a TV stretch them up big is wrong, I will place them into a HD proportioned black area when editing so forcing them to play smaller and look great., or is there a device I can buy that does that ?

Merlin.

Why you dont buy cheap firewire pci express card from ebay?? I have two digital8 camcorders, and all tape i digitize with this FireWire card :).. works simple, and you can get the best possible picture to capture from it, even analog, because of dv-avi format.. I will never capture by some usb card, cuz it will not give me the best possible picture :)

You need to convert it to some other format.. not dv-avi.. However, best possible picture you get from it, is DV-AVI, which is directly captured from cassette.. i keep all them in that format, because it is 1:1 copy

Fioroto82 is it correct then that all best quality output should be in. Avi? Avi files kept for archive, and if needs be then save to mp4 for use on portable devices etc

Try this free program to capture your tapes

Mark.

Try this free program to capture your tapes

Mark.
Hi Mark I captured all my mini dv tapes using WinDV so thanks for the link. However I was just wondering if you knew if any software which I can use to combine separate avi to a single file without converting it to another format?

Any video editing software should let you do that..
Just drop all the individual files onto the timeline and then output them to the same format. With no conversion the rendering should be very quick.
However at around 13Gb per hour of footage DV AVI files are not really a good playback format, and are not normally supported by many media players. So IMO you should maybe keep the original uncompressed DV AVI files for archiving, but also make a playback copy converting it to a more media player friendly format.

Mark.

Used mkvtoolnix to join all the clips together, this was very easy to do. Then added to Plex and creates a plex optimised for tv version.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom