Best way to make my gaming PC quieter

MartinH32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In all my years of PC gaming I've never been totally happy with the noise when under load.
What are your best tips to quieten it down?

I've two 120mm intake fans at the front. A Corsair 240mm rad up top expelling air and a 120mm at the back expelling air. GPU is a Gigabyte 3 fan 2070Super. All in a Phanteks Evolv MATX case
When under load it sound like an aircraft.

I guessing the GPU is making the most noise ?
fans on the GPU are very noisy underload ..

a good option would be to watercool the GPU, but this can and is quiet expensive ,
you would need need a GPU block ,Rad , pump ( but again these can be noisy to - not as much as the stock fans tho) tubing and fittings ...

or like i have done is fit the NZXT Kraken G12 with a compatible pump

What All-In-One Liquid Coolers Are Compatible With The Kraken G12?
i use the NZXT X52

all this keep the GPU cool and quiet ..

What fans are you using in the case ?
i use the B-quiet silent wings 3 , very good fans , they spin at a low RPM and still keep the PC cool.

In all my years of PC gaming I've never been totally happy with the noise when under load.
What are your best tips to quieten it down?

I've two 120mm intake fans at the front. A Corsair 240mm rad up top expelling air and a 120mm at the back expelling air. GPU is a Gigabyte 3 fan 2070Super. All in a Phanteks Evolv MATX case
When under load it sound like an aircraft.

A non windowed, sound dampened case like a Fractal Design Define R7. A Noctua NH-D15 air cooler for the CPU rather than the AOI. 2 x Noctua 140mm intake fans and one for exhaust, is a good way to start. Good airflow is important.

Change the fan profile of the GPU to only come on at full load and dial down the OC on it as well. This should make a huge difference.

A non windowed, sound dampened case like a Fractal Design Define R7.
I had one of these in my last system and it is day and night compared to my current NZXT case. It was super-quiet.

Are you sure it is the GPU? I have a Ryzen 3900X cooled by the Corsair AIO and the fans were running like bat crazy under medium load. Had to uninstall the Corsair control software which was spinning everything at 1200RPM on light load - just let the BIOS do its stuff now. Bit better but still not as quiet as the old system.

Thanks all - plenty to look at!

I guessing the GPU is making the most noise ?
fans on the GPU are very noisy underload ..

a good option would be to watercool the GPU, but this can and is quiet expensive ,
you would need need a GPU block ,Rad , pump ( but again these can be noisy to - not as much as the stock fans tho) tubing and fittings ...

or like i have done is fit the NZXT Kraken G12 with a compatible pump

What All-In-One Liquid Coolers Are Compatible With The Kraken G12?
i use the NZXT X52

all this keep the GPU cool and quiet ..

What fans are you using in the case ?
i use the B-quiet silent wings 3 , very good fans , they spin at a low RPM and still keep the PC cool.

My Alphacool Eisbaer 240 is louder than my RTX2070 Super (also gigabyte with 3 fans) when spinning during gaming.

I reckon it's the AIO and maybe the 120mm case fans that are the loudest in the OPs system.

Take a picture of the case insides and upload it so we can have a more informed view.

While you're at it, leave the side off and put the PC under some load - you can most likely find the source of the loud noise by ear.

Here's the inside of the beast!

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 83
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 82
Are you monitoring temps? If the fans are noisy check the temps. Under load and light and heavy load (you may have a general issue but only notice under heavy load). It should not be too hard to find out if you have a problem with heat too for tasks/games when compared to similar systems. Might help get to the root of the issue

Corsair fans are not know to be quiet unfortunately, but temps would be handy to know.

Ok, run a few tests. GPU is maxing out at 67 degrees and the cpu at 65 degrees

Set a custom fan curve, could probably get away with 50% max fan speed.
Temps will be a little higher but shouldn't be a problem.

My PC was very loud until i upgraded it 2 weeks ago.
The main culprits were the large case fans, sounding like a helicopter overhead.
I now have to look at my PC to see if its still on, honestly its THAT quiet.
It still has fans, 3 (i think) on the 1080 GPU and 2 on the AIO CPU cooler, but the open case design means it doesnt require case fans.

These videos are with sound, you can hear talking in the 2nd one (I am actually playing CoD Warzone at the time), yet you can only hear my clock ticking in the background.

So noise is often a premium as much as performance is.

case - good airflow case is critical. Better airflow means the ability to run fans at lower RPM.

fans - go for more and lower RPM or go for a good fan with lower RPM but good CFM performance. Noctuas being great.

GPU - bigger the better when it comes to coolers. AIB cards are often premium in price but superior on accoustics.

undervolt - bit more technical but easy enough with MSI afterburner for nvidia or AMD radeon software.

i drop 10c whilst maintaing same performance on every GPU as out of the box the software just chucks volts at them.

For me it was to get a large case with amazing airflow, ditch my AIO Cooler and buy a Fan CPU Cooler, I also changed all my fans to the Be-quiet Pure Wing 2 Fans

A non windowed, sound dampened case like a Fractal Design Define R7. A Noctua NH-D15 air cooler for the CPU rather than the AOI. 2 x Noctua 140mm intake fans and one for exhaust, is a good way to start. Good airflow is important.

Change the fan profile of the GPU to only come on at full load and dial down the OC on it as well. This should make a huge difference.

I have an R5 case and it's super quiet, I also think keeping the cables tidy so that air flows properly helps keep a PC quiet.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom