Best way to remove paint from woodwork

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to decorate .Ideally would like to remove paint from all woodwork.What is the best way to do so? By using chemicals? Or heat gun?
If the former, any recommendations? I know that Nitromoors used to be good, but have heard it is no longer as effective as it once was.

Depends on so many things.
I was taking off about 5 layers of very old, very thick paint on rather ornate shaped dado and skirting. I used a heat gun.
There were areas where the paint had gone into knots and cracks, so some Nitromoors type stuff was needed in some areas.
But heat guns are very easy to scorch the wood.
And as many people have said, Nitromoors et al have changed the chemicals, so from what I have heard they are less effective.

I think you may need to use a combination of heat gun, paint stripper, wire brush, wire wool and a small screwdriver.

Take the woodwork off if possible and have it dipped. Saves a shed load of time and aggro and better still your lungs,

I just ripped off all my woodwork and replaced it with new, fixing it with silicon adhesive.

Couldn't be assed stripping old paint off!

Look up smith & Rodgers on the internet.., okay I will do it:

Smith & Rodger - french polish, varnish, lacquer, shellac, wood finishes, wood coatings

They are based in Glasgow & are a local independent that has been around for over 100 yrs. the stuff they make is extremely powerful & even better than nitromors ever was.

Depending on how much you need to strip will depend on how much you need but I went through about 7 * 5L tubs removing paint from Victorian living room with high skirtings & bay window wood panelling (check out DIY Thread)

The stuff is great. Dip & strip maybe a better option in terms of speed but when removed the wood can warp, shrink & not fit right not to mention the pearls of removing the wood.

PS - if you decide on this product phone them & tell them you are a student & need to remove paint from furniture.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom