Question Best way to test "real" screen resolution, test patterns?

moham96

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking into buying a 4k tv, i've read somewhere that there are screens that advertise themselves as 4k and fool you with the resolution but in fact the real resolution is different, so i searched about how to find the real resolution and came up with this Test Your 4K Device True Resolution With a 4K UHD / 2160p Video Test Pattern
i tested these patterns on my friend's 4k tv and according to the test the tv is not really a 4k tv.

i also found these patterns which i didn't know how to use (any one knows ?)
3 ISF Test Patterns for Ultra HD 4K Display Calibration
so i'm wondering is this pattern test sufficient to tell that the tv is not really a 4k tv ? are there any better ways to know for sure ?

Hi,
I'm looking into buying a 4k tv, i've read somewhere that there are screens that advertise themselves as 4k and fool you

If it 'fools you', you don't notice any difference, then what reason do you have to be bothered about it?

If you're talking about LG's RGBW panels then the models it's on are the UH750 and all of the UH6 models apart from the UH630 and UH635.

Most people, even most reviews, don't notice any difference in detail for video/TV use. Unless you're sitting closer to the TV for something more sensitive to pixels - such as PC use - then it's probably not worth bothering about.

Well, it used to be an issue because they describe TVs as "4k ready" or "4k compatible" when that just means they can accept a 4K signal and display and down-res image of it. This doesn't happen in the high end sets of course.

A bigger and much more complex issue is motion resolution, which is usually well below the screen's pixel count.

If it 'fools you', you don't notice any difference, then what reason do you have to be bothered about it?

If you're talking about LG's RGBW panels then the models it's on are the UH750 and all of the UH6 models apart from the UH630 and UH635.

Most people, even most reviews, don't notice any difference in detail for video/TV use. Unless you're sitting closer to the TV for something more sensitive to pixels - such as PC use - then it's probably not worth bothering about.
sorry, my bad, i meant fools the video source (like STB) into thinking it is really 4k so the device does send 4k video and the screen downscale it, actually i'm not talking about high end screens and brands such as LG and Samsung, for me these brands are somehow trustworthy, but i'm trying to test and decide between two brands (TCL and bauhn) these are cheaper than LG and Samsung but I can't trust what they write on their products

sorry, my bad, i meant fools the video source (like STB) into thinking it is really 4k so the device does send 4k video and the screen downscale it

That's a good thing for a Full HD TV to do. Working with the highest quality source will improve the final picture.

I'm trying to test and decide between two brands (TCL and bauhn) these are cheaper than LG and Samsung but I can't trust what they write on their products

The US site Rtings has tested some TCL models but I don't know if they're the same ones available where you are:
Rtings.com - TV Reviews

It looks like models with an F in their name are Full HD, those with a U are Ultra HD (aka 4K).

I think Bauhn is Aldi-specific Vestel models in the UK.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom