BG VW Golf Mk II GTI 8v

• Thread starter Deleted member 27989
  • Start date
Talking about headlining 🤔 I’ve placed an order for a reproduction in GRP covered headlining board. There is a company in Kent making those since December last year. Just had a nice chat with them.

The current headlining is sagging and it’s highly likely that when I remove the board it will snap. Considering the time having to spent on papier maché to repair and then trying to get the material cut and stretched nicely and glue, plus then doing the sunroof I think it is money well spent.

Fingers crossed it as good as they say. So better get my skates on and fabricate the speaker holders, change out the dashboard and redo the wiring ready for next week.

PS. Does anyone know where to find the vacuum pump for the central locking in the car? I must be having a blonde moment, I can see the tubing but haven’t been able to trace where it is. I want to double check the working as it seems to be a bit hit and miss. Between the doors and the boot lid.

Remembering stuff as I read this thread more and more.

Sunroof: Check the drain pipes are all clean and free of debris while you are around this area and if none, as I may be thinking about my MkIII, then just check all seals are good to avoid future water damage.

Indeed. I’ve got new seals already. I mean if I take it out I may as well finish the job properly for the sake of a few pounds extra 👍

Central locking vac pumps in the boot encased in foam attached under the rear lamp IIRC.

Central locking vac pumps in the boot encased in foam attached under the rear lamp IIRC.
LOL Still haven’t found it 😂 I wonder whether it has been removed as there is no vacuum line to at least the passenger door but electric instead. I will take a look later.

First more dismantling. At first I was like OMFG when removing the door cards. But it’s all glue residue. The door is in really good shape. The door card at one bottom side has had some water damage at one point. So we may have to think of a way to strengthen that. But unfortunately another clean up job and then put some sound deadening material in.

Passenger door
F52C9F77-AAF0-41CA-9ECC-868187A7779F.jpeg

Yup definitely electric activators for the front doors. I guess they put them on when they put the alarm on the car.

Bit disappointed with the alarm install and the associated Thatcham certificate. The control box is clearly not in a metal case, and the wires are all nicely colour coordinated 🤔😂

Ah well makes my job a lot easier to remove the various bits and bobs from it.

0376BC10-04A4-4680-80D2-5B3F798C35D4.jpeg

Yup definitely electric activators for the front doors. I guess they put them on when they put the alarm on the car.

Bit disappointed with the alarm install and the associated Thatcham certificate. The control box is clearly not in a metal case, and the wires are all nicely colour coordinated 🤔😂

Ah well makes my job a lot easier to remove the various bits and bobs from it.

View attachment 1321451

When I fitted they were all black and numbered, these numbers were cut off before splicing into whatever wire/block was needed.

That is (IMO) a messy install, but lucky for you to be able to follow the colours.

There was never a vacuum actuator in the drivers door, the drivers door has a electric “master” switch which operates the vac pump.
Remote central locking needed a solenoid fitting in the drivers door, operated by the keyfob/alarm, to activate the “master” switch and therefore lock other doors, filler cap, etc.
Looks as though yours may have been converted to electric solenoids.

Been looking at the wiring of the alarm system and my gosh I think this is the first time I’m truly bewildered and a little bit scared. Just so many wires going all over the place for that alarm/immobiliser alone.

I’m thinking I need to hire some help for that one before I start to remove stuff and whilst it still works 😂 I hate giving up on stuff, especially the part I thought we could do. But starting to think to be sensible and get professionals involved.

Now to find a professional 🤔

If it's been there any length of time I'd leave well alone as there could be all sorts of issues.

If it's been there any length of time I'd leave well alone as there could be all sorts of issues.
Yup, will get some experience to help with that. The Meta Alarm is for a teenager a bit awkward. Not only is it a bit ugly, but the UI is basically wait and count the number of blinks of an LED. They don’t have the patience, plus then a key to tap in the dashboard plus a single button remote And you have to start within 10 seconds other wise you have to do it all again 😂

We want something with just two buttons (open and close) and ideally a simple led where red means stop and green (or whatever colour) means go.

Just need to combine it with a dashboard replacement as the speaker mounts are snapped on the current one. It had the speakers just laying loose and rattling in the dashboard.

Well, nearly nothing left in the interior 😂 Giving it a nice clear out. Looks like the muppet who dealt with the smashing in window may have swept the glass under the carpets 🤔

840B6C34-131C-4416-A936-D71BEB30F672.jpeg
8216D77C-89F2-4728-BA73-A6D1E17286A7.jpeg

When some moron put through the window of my 205 to steal my tax disk :rolleyes: it took months to get the glass out of every corner. I kept finding bits each time it was cleaned.
Looks like the glass was trapped under the seat so a right pita to get at unless you do what you're doing!
Still looks like you're 2p up on the effort ;)

When some moron put through the window of my 205 to steal my tax disk :rolleyes: it took months to get the glass out of every corner. I kept finding bits each time it was cleaned.
Looks like the glass was trapped under the seat so a right pita to get at unless you do what you're doing!
Still looks like you're 2p up on the effort ;)
So far I’m actually 83p up, plus a CR2032 battery 😂

Just got the postage notification for the new headliner. Yay. Clearing out the front carpet today and then the dashboard out. Got a few sheets of sound deadening to the ready as well. And I’m my daughters hero as I found a few spider 🕷 sacks, so all will be nicely clean and renewed fitted.

But will get some help in for the alarm system, at least they have nice clear acces 👍

That takes me back to days and days of stripping the entire interiors of South African Golfs that had suffered water ingress due to faulty bulkhead sealing.

Good time to check for daylight, rust and loose panels.
Oh definitely. With the rain overnight I had puddles on the floor. It then started raining and I looked where it was coming in. So part of it is because the door membranes aren’t on it, and the other part is that sections of the window scrapers on the outside don’t seem to do much anymore. Drops from the windows go straight in. Now I know they have a wet door design but this is a bit much. Best order some new ones.

Everything else is in amazing condition really for its age.

Tomorrow we start building it up again, that is the fun part 👍

Wise to have a really good look at the heater matrix as the dash is out.

Some heavy duty polythene and 3M trim tape (cant remember the part number off hand) for the door membranes is what i used to do as im not sure you can buy them “pre-cut” anyway.

The heater matrix is perfect. Got some new seals for the connections. Also got new door membranes and some butylene tape for a nice good seal allround 👍 And been clearing crap and old glue residue. Also got some nice sound deadening and underlay to finish it all off.

Double check the seat belts for wear and tear.
I had to replace one of mine for an MOT and it is sooooooooo much easier with no interior :smashin:

With the amount of work you have done already, it might be worth refreshing some bits even if they look OK now you down to the frame. Seat belts and heater matrix are both a good shout.

Nah nothing wrong with them. Besides it’s super easy to get access anyway. Just taking our time to fix some of the wiring and resealing weather strips etc.

And installing a bitching ICE system. :)
I tell you what, there is a bit of rewiring to be done. My year doesn’t have a switched live from the ignition. Although naturally it has when you turn the key into acc, but no key in ignition. So I now can see the battery drain issue as switched live in the iso harness was wired to the battery live.

And the retractable antenna was wired with the control wire directly as well. So doesn’t really respond to the radio but to the power of the car.

Illumination wire was just cut, so have to make a new one so the Apple CarPlay unit will automatically dim with the lights.

Then rewire the active sub as it currently uses rear speaker inputs and I want to use the RCA connections instead and wire the speakers directly.

Then wire in the front and rear dashcams as well. And find a place for the reversing camera as well.

Busy day today. Glad I’m not working 😂

Pressure is on as it needs to be driving by Thursday as it’s going in for the exhaust.

I tell you what, there is a bit of rewiring to be done. My year doesn’t have a switched live from the ignition. Although naturally it has when you turn the key into acc, but no key in ignition. So I now can see the battery drain issue as switched live in the iso harness was wired to the battery live.

And the retractable antenna was wired with the control wire directly as well. So doesn’t really respond to the radio but to the power of the car.

Illumination wire was just cut, so have to make a new one so the Apple CarPlay unit will automatically dim with the lights.

Then rewire the active sub as it currently uses rear speaker inputs and I want to use the RCA connections instead and wire the speakers directly.

Then wire in the front and rear dashcams as well. And find a place for the reversing camera as well.

Busy day today. Glad I’m not working 😂

Pressure is on as it needs to be driving by Thursday as it’s going in for the exhaust.
Sounds like quite the project! Good luck!
Your daughter is very lucky to have all this effort put into her car and be driving an icon.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom