Big dilemma with a5200.

nickvas19

Novice Member
Reaction score
hello guys.

i need some details and i was thinking that maybe somebody will give me a hand of help.

i have the shd with two subs and power amp With two speakers. I am reading good things about surround systems playing music. i am not fun of movies I just want to make an upgrade to 5.2 for music Only. I see the Yamaha a5200 it is a good build machine ...with measurements,low noise.I also read that the dts x or Surround ai make the things even better for music.

on the other hand I read that Yamaha ypao is not good In the previous models.It isnot read the bass correctly.

so...for my reasons I want to know if i can do manual the delays of the speakers and the subwoofers, The gain of each speaker and the freq repsonse of every unit(speakers and sub). Also I want to know if the Yapo is far better from the previous models.

finally i would be pleased if somebody can inform me that talking some of lyd 7,neumann kh120 or genelec 8030c will be a good gain match. In the shd there is a option that can choose the gain from the unit. Is there the same on the Yamaha?!(it is a different thing of choosing some dB of Each speaker). And with which speaker of those 3 Will be the best choice. I am thinking the lyd 7...I listen to them before some days.

thanx guys...thanx you in advance

hello guys.

i need some details and i was thinking that maybe somebody will give me a hand of help.

i have the shd with two subs and power amp With two speakers. I am reading good things about surround systems playing music. i am not fun of movies I just want to make an upgrade to 5.2 for music Only. I see the Yamaha a5200 it is a good build machine ...with measurements,low noise.I also read that the dts x or Surround ai make the things even better for music.

on the other hand I read that Yamaha ypao is not good In the previous models.It isnot read the bass correctly.

so...for my reasons I want to know if i can do manual the delays of the speakers and the subwoofers, The gain of each speaker and the freq repsonse of every unit(speakers and sub). Also I want to know if the Yapo is far better from the previous models.

finally i would be pleased if somebody can inform me that talking some of lyd 7,neumann kh120 or genelec 8030c will be a good gain match. In the shd there is a option that can choose the gain from the unit. Is there the same on the Yamaha?!(it is a different thing of choosing some dB of Each speaker). And with which speaker of those 3 Will be the best choice. I am thinking the lyd 7...I listen to them before some days.

thanx guys...thanx you in advance
5200 have a problem with L + R channels over XLR connections which you would be using with active speakers. Due to design flaw it has increased distortion on those two channels. If you would stay under 2v then it is not massive but rises quite quickly over 2v. Still not ideal even if under 2v.

No problems like this over RCA but you would not be using those.

When you say you are not into movies but into music why would you build your music system around HT gear? Why not just to try to get decent stereo system? You can either save some money this way or spend the same on better 2.0 setup?

I just bought 5200 but it will be another 2-3 weeks at earliest before I can tell something sensible about its music capabilities as I will have to tune the system in. I also have 2.0 system so I will be able to tell you how Yamaha compares.

My experience with Denon AVR even with external amps was that it was very bad with 2.0 music. Yamaha might be better but will it match my stereo system remains to be seen but I am not having high expectations.

Last edited:
I use mine for both music and films. To my ears the CX-A5200 is excellent with music in pure direct mode. It is very transparent and doesn’t add any colour and I can happily spend hours listening to stuff.

HB

Sorry guys that I answer some days after. I was in a trip.

so Is a big problem if is like that with Xlr. Because I want to plug it a powered speaker.

i am not pretty sure if I understand it well with the volts.

i want to build a system with many speakers with av pro because the music will be more surround and with a better effect. Also the freq repsonce with be also better because of too many speakers will be in the room. Also with the dts mode or ai will add an effect in sound.

Sorry guys that I answer some days after. I was in a trip.

so Is a big problem if is like that with Xlr. Because I want to plug it a powered speaker.

i am not pretty sure if I understand it well with the volts.

i want to build a system with many speakers with av pro because the music will be more surround and with a better effect. Also the freq repsonce with be also better because of too many speakers will be in the room. Also with the dts mode or ai will add an effect in sound.

I am no expert. Experts claim it is not a problem as it cannot be objectively heard. It is just not ideal and obviously not perfect. I bought it knowing about it so as you see it is not a problem for me but I have an option to use L + R with RCA which are not affected by this problem.

Still if I would ever need to use them with XLR on L + R I will have no problem doing so and I think you can have same approach especially if you can get 5200 at a good price.

It will probably be replaced in next 6-8months with new Pre so buying 2nd hand or new but at reduced rate makes more sense then full RRP.

Good luck.

You’ll need to work out what voltage input you’ll have to feed your active monitors to achieve maximum SPL.

I did look at this before I bought mine purely to see if I’d be better off using the RCA outs and some RCA>XLR leads to my power amp. I calculated that I’d only need 1.1V output to hit 108dB SPL in room so it was a non-issue for me and I’ve therefore used XLR for all channels.

The front L&R SINAD over XLR as measured by Audioholics deteriorates from 2V upward which theoretically you may hear. This is not so with the RCA output which remains clean to RCA’s Max 4V. If you are going to need more than 2V output (but less than 4V) to hit the peak SPL that you want then it may be worth using the RCA out with some RCA>XLR cables.

HB

Ι don’t want to use the rca for nothing.

how can I see how many volts I need?!
this problem is only for Yamaha or for all av pro ?!

You will need to check the active speaker specs or ask the speaker manufacturer what input voltage it requires to reach its max SPL.

HB

Ι don’t want to use the rca for nothing.

how can I see how many volts I need?!
this problem is only for Yamaha or for all av pro ?!
As far as it was measured only Yamaha and specifically 5200. 5100 is fine. It is a design flaw which will be corrected with next gen one would imagine.

can somebody tell me the input voltage of genelec 8030c and Dynaudio Lyd7?

as I see both have an option from -6db to +6db is that I am looking for?!

also can somebody let me know if a system 5.2 using the dts x or the surround ai will be an upgrade from my own system in songs?!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom