Bill & Ted Face the Music Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas - this isn't going to go to the top of my "watch it" list, I fee!!

They were never stoners apparently. Reeves himself recently said this.
I always think it's funny when people refer to them as stoners or say B+T is a stoner comedy.
They're clearly just good-natured idiots. They're six year olds in the bodies of teenagers.
Funny, sweet, idiotic, homophobic six year olds.

@Casimir Harlow They aren't stoners!!

Watched this a few weeks ago. Thought this was one of reeves worst movies. You could tell he was struggling and felt awkward. Shame.

I always think it's funny when people refer to them as stoners or say B+T is a stoner comedy.
They're clearly just good-natured idiots. They're six year olds in the bodies of teenagers.
Funny, sweet, idiotic, homophobic six year olds.

@Casimir Harlow They aren't stoners!!

For a second I thought that you were calling me a good natured idiot and explaining why I like Transformers so much. Then you called me that other thing... "funny" and I realised you couldn't possibly be talking about me.

They were never stoners apparently. Reeves himself recently said this.

Ok, ok, guys, I've changed Stoners.

Now can we get back to talking about why the score is either 1 point too high or too low and it's outrageous?

Thanks for the review.

Unfortunately this, for me, sounds most non-triumphant so probably one to wait for on whatever streaming service it appears on.

"Hardly done anything"?!? Sir, Mr. Winter has been very busy as a director of documentaries and commercials.

When I saw the score I thought Cas was being a bit harsh. I didn't have memories of the first two to cloud my mind with nostalgia, or to unfavorably compare.

For all it's faults I still enjoyed the movie. Dennis is hilarious, Sadler is great, I liked Bill and Ted and I think their take on middle age is exactly the right approach. That song they played at the wedding cracked me up.

The writers said that they didn't have an agenda, and for the daughters I believe that is true. Their story was weak but I liked their interaction with their fathers a lot. More importantly they didn't take anything away from Bill and Ted themselves.
I can also understand the supreme leader being Rufus' wife. But the leadership, the daughters, the psychiatrist, Kristen Schall were a sea of woke into which Bill and Ted were strategically placed. Luckily for me, the film has heart which just about overcomes this tired trope.

The review itself is spot on so the score is justified.

6/10 but my heart says 7/10.

6 is accurate for me - fun and enjoyable in a nostalgic kind of way, but not 'good' by any reasonable measure.

Agree with the main characters being sidelined element - much like when I watched Mad Max: Fury Road for the first time, my gut reaction afterwards was that it should have been called 'Furiosa Road (also starring a character called Max)'

Last edited:
This should have been titled Bill & Ted face the Woke

"Hardly done anything"?!? Sir, Mr. Winter has been very busy as a director of documentaries and commercials.
True, he was one of the busiest directors of commercials around for quite some time. He came to the UK to do quite a lot of work over here too.

I know that's not as impressive as Reeves' career but it's very lucrative.

More info here if anyone's interested: LANDING

6 is accurate for me - fun and enjoyable in a nostalgic kind of way, but not 'good' by any reasonable measure.

Agree with the main characters being sidelined element - much like when I watched Mad Max: Fury Road for the first time, my gut reaction afterwards was that it should have been called 'Furiosa Road (also starring a character called Max)'
Fury Road was a story set in the Mad Max universe with Max playing a reasonably significant part even if it wasn't the main part. This is a Bill and Ted movie with their daughters playing a reasonably significant part but Bill and Ted are still the main characters.

Just saying I got the same vibe from both, as per the same opinion in the review.

Albeit the main driver for the final outcome is what the daughters do throughout the movie, not Bill and Ted. They mainly just arse about paying (enjoyable) fan service to the previous entries.

That is such a tiresome and pointless term, and for what it's worth, the writer disagrees -
I've heard the writer himself speak on this about this and I feel that he is being a little disingenuous. While the writer may not have written with TLJ/GB2000/Dark Fate mindset, others involved in the project plainly were. I do agree with @xar about the vibe. This was a flimsy fun film whose performances by Reeves, Winters and others just about pushes the film the right side of an obvious failed coup attempt. If the other films had a little more heart and less overt mean spiritedness, I might have felt the same way about them too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was very concerned when I saw the daughters' roles in the trailer....I just get the feeling when I do eventually watch this, that I'm going to hate them even more. Why couldn't they just leave it at Bill & Ted (robot Bill & Ted in Bogus Journey is fine though!)

Just been to see it. Very disappointing. Just wasn't funny at all nobody in the cinema laughed at anything. I was glad when it ended. Shame as I really like the first two films. Reeves just looked embarrassed all the time.

I wouldn't normally have gone to the cinema to see this, but seeing as life is a bit of a turd these days I'm confident Bill and Ted will save the day. Plus will help out my local cinema again.

Cheers Cas.

Oh and I didn't realise this was getting a cinema release. I still thought till this review it was just going digital.

dont think i could be arsed to go to the cinema to watch an 80 minute movie, i want my moneys worth. 2 hours plus at least. In the US it had a Cinema release as well as a streaming rental/purchase option.
Loved the 1st. the second was a turd. 3 looks dire.

dupe

dont think i could be arsed to go to the cinema to watch an 80 minute movie, i want my moneys worth. 2 hours plus at least. In the US it had a Cinema release as well as a streaming rental/purchase option.
Loved the 1st. the second was a turd. 3 looks dire.

Hah, see interestingly I only caught up with B&T in the last month or so, having never seen any before and I felt the opposite.

Couldn't see the fuss about the perfectly harmless first film, but forced myself to watch the second because I was reviewing the third. I (surprisingly) absolutely loved Bogus Journey, which felt more T2/BTTF2 via Seventh Seal. But that only made the third all the more disappointing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom