Birds of Prey Review & Comments

"The perfect antidote to male-orientated, dour, grim and bleak superhero films"

Well, you almost lasted the entire review without some kind of politicised nonsense being brought up.

At least it was minimal I suppose. I was just hoping this place would be a safe haven from the 'men suck, isn't this woman thing refreshing' idiocy, that's as tiresome as it is skewed...

At least this doesn't sound as irresponsible, morally vacuous and shallow as that awful Joker film....ahem...

Last edited:
Glad you liked the film - the trailer made it look awful.

Have you seen Thor Ragnarok - that is fun, colourful, silly and chaotic and has some strong female characters. I think you would like it.

I really don’t think people care if it’s about men or women as long as it’s decent. Your statement comparing it to male-orientated dour, grim and bleak superhero films is both irresponsible and inflammatory.

I was about to read the review then saw the headline about women etc. Didn’t bother reading beyond that.....can we not just appreciate a film without bringing all that into it?

When you start making a "thing" about the equality instead of just focussing on whether it's good and treating it as the norm, you continue to perpetuate the whole division in the first place. This tends to fuel the bigots and the feminists to double down and use it as ammunition and the result is the alienation of the vast majority who neither know nor really care about the message all that much. They just want a good film.

G

Thanks for the review. It has made me want to go and watch the film. I actually quite liked Suicide Squad for all its faults and thought Margot Robbie was the highlight of the film, so I’m pretty sure I will enjoy this too.

Despite comments above I know what you mean about dour and bleak - Logan springs to mind (I reckon I’ll probably be alone in this :p), as well as the Infinity Wars films I really didn’t enjoy. I do think that there has been a lot of effort to bring better female leads into films recently which I only see as a good thing.

Looking forward to watching this :thumbsup:

some films you only need to watch the trailer ..............this looks like one of em, Joker the same

Despite comments above I know what you mean about dour and bleak - Logan springs to mind

So despite the 20 something films that are not dour and bleak and the 1 film that springs to mind :facepalm:

I took Bleak and Dour to mean other DC movies such as Batman vs Superman & Justice League. But without stating those efforts it sounded like a sweeping statement for all comic book movies from recent times, which is obviously incorrect.

it feels like we have entered a new reality that everyone has forgotten the many very good female led action films that at the time no once cared about whether they were female led or not just that they were Good/Great;
Now anything with a female lead is automatically: brave , new, heroic, refreshing and amazing !

even when its clear to anyone that they are just awful...............The Box Office doesn't lie

Despite comments above I know what you mean about dour and bleak - Logan springs to mind

So despite the 20 something films that are not dour and bleak and the 1 film that springs to mind :facepalm:

In your opinion. Not that I didn’t like a couple on your list, but it is your opinion not mine. It’s the wonder of the world that everyone has differing opinions and is allowed to express them.

Logan also has a very strong female protagonist. Daphne Keen is basically the hero of the film.

I found Logan dour and bleak and frankly, didn’t enjoy it at all.

I took the reviewer to mean ‘a lot’ of the super films are dour and bleak. Maybe it could have been clarified but I see where they are coming from.

In your opinion. Not that I didn’t like a couple on your list, but it is your opinion not mine. It’s the wonder of the world that everyone has differing opinions and is allowed to express them.

objectively None of those films could be described a bleak and dour and they never have been , whether you liked them or not is irrelevant , they were clearly not bleak or dour and in many cases were almost comedies

So many delicate egos...😂

Any review is by definition an individual's personal opinion filtered through their own perspective. You may not agree, but that doesn't make it any less valid. Some of the comments above border on the idiotic... in my opinion. I have say, the trailer didn't do a very good job of promoting this film, but after reading Kumari's review I think I'll check it out.

I found Logan dour and bleak and frankly, didn’t enjoy it at all.
Well you're not alone I did not enjoy it, even though the consensus here think it one of the best if not the best superhero film.

Agreed, it was none stop 'wounded hero' stuff.
Logan din't have any character.

As others wrote above, the trailer did not sell me at all on this Movie, although I loved how Margot Robbie played the character in Suicide Squad.

Thanks Kumari, as with others thought the trailer made the film look absolutely terrible and was going to steer clear, I shall give this a try next week now. 👍🏼

Must be alone, loved Logan, I fully embraced the end of his time and passing the sword onwards to the female lead, bit more realistic than some super hero story lines. Open minded on BOP will await a few more reviews but did think MR was great in Sucide Squad.

Not only a terrible trailer Mark Kermode liked it which is an other nail in it coffin for me. :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom