BK Electronics P12-300SB-PR Subwoofer Review & Comments

Hi Steve,

Thanks for this review, I had been waiting to see another more recent review for a BK product from this site.

I feel more confident now in choosing BK over some of the other brands as they continue to impress with their bang for buck performance.

Would you keep the sample you tested?

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Thanks for this review, I had been waiting to see another more recent review for a BK product from this site.

I feel more confident now in choosing BK over some of the other brands as they continue to impress with their bang for buck performance.

Thanks
I would have been very happy to keep it if (a) that had been an option, and (b) it was in black!

Hi Steve,

Thanks
From my sig you can see I've got the previous version. If you read the AVF review for that sub you can see that Ed was saying pretty much the same things as Steve. I trust that the PR is better than the DF/FF series because I'm so happy with mine, I do believe what BK say. Either way you are getting a sub whose performance puts it closer to 600-800 pounds in value for less than 500 pounds.

I can't recommend these subs highly enough!

Last edited by a moderator:
We so need a direct comparison review of BK's range, they have so many very close on paper subs and reviews say much the same thing for all versions (that's not a criticism of the reviews), that combined with direct selling means any potential buyer is just taking a punt on which one is right for them. Sure they'd sell more units if the buyer could know for definite which is their ideal.

Wish they'd square off the edges of the wood finishes so you don't have those ugly strips of stained MDF showing but fully understand why they do it.

Great review as ever Steve - how BK manage to make any profit baffles me.
But oh what I'd love to see what Tom could conjure up if you gave him a grand to play with!
So if anyone from BK is reading this, please give the idea headspace as I reckon it would be sure to find it's market.

We so need a direct comparison review of BK's range, they have so many very close on paper subs and reviews say much the same thing for all versions (that's not a criticism of the reviews), that combined with direct selling means any potential buyer is just taking a punt on which one is right for them. Sure they'd sell more units if the buyer could know for definite which is their ideal.

Wish they'd square off the edges of the wood finishes so you don't have those ugly strips of stained MDF showing but fully understand why they do it.
If you've got anything from a small to regular sized viewing area the SB easily does the job and then some. If you wan't to go full on Council/Residential noise pollution order, then the SB can do that too.

Then it's basically up to you as to how much "Powa" (J.Clarkson, registered TM) you want when deciding on the more powerful subs like the Monolith. I'm talking about a standard UK flat/semi-detached/terraced property.

BK recommend the SB series for Home Cinema and the XXLS series with their "Peerless" drivers for Music/Home Cinema. That doesn't mean that the non XXLS series are not great for Music (as the reviews attest to), but that the XXLS series has that bit more control again.

Wonder how this would compare to say, an SVS PB-1000 or an XTZ 10.17. @Steve Withers have you by chance heard either of those and if so could you provide some insights?

Happy to see BK manage to get review samples to you in a timely manner. :smashin:

Hopefully this means we might see a review of the Monolith Plus or the Double Gem at some point too.

Thx for the review.

I bloody love my Monolith+, best upgrade I've made to my system. Well made, outstanding performance and amazing value. It was quite tricky getting it home from the office though. I should've had it delivered straight to home.
I would have struggled with my SB and you did that with a Monolith ?????? What were you thinking? lol

If there's no cons, why isn't it a 10/10?
Stating the obvious here but it's probably because there were some minor marks but they were not worth mentioning. Plus there are better subs in a similar-iso price range. But it's still best in class and by some distance too.

I bloody love my Monolith+, best upgrade I've made to my system. Well made, outstanding performance and amazing value. It was quite tricky getting it home from the office though. I should've had it delivered straight to home.

When I had my two 400s delivered, the bloke from UPS strode up the garden path with one under either arm - I was actually wondering if they'd sent empty boxes by mistake.
Until I'd signed for 'em and he drove off - then it took me 20 minutes and a whole lot of swearing to get 'em into the living room.
Mind you he was the size of a family car - they must employ ex-bodybuilders or put steroids in their cornflakes.
I'm sorely tempted to buy a pair of Monolith Plus' just to see if he can up his game.

When I had my two 400s delivered, the bloke from UPS strode up the garden path with one under either arm - I was actually wondering if they'd sent empty boxes by mistake.
Until I'd signed for 'em and he drove off - then it took me 20 minutes and a whole lot of swearing to get 'em into the living room.
Mind you he was the size of a family car - they must employ ex-bodybuilders or put steroids in their cornflakes.
I'm sorely tempted to buy a pair of Monolith Plus' just to see if he can up his game.
I've lived in places where I could have 2 subs, but not in this country and definitely not if I was paying for it.

Currently have a 10" DF Tannoy sub and was wondering how using a PR sub might affect placement if upgrading to this - any thoughts?

Jim

Currently have a 10" DF Tannoy sub and was wondering how using a PR sub might affect placement if upgrading to this - any thoughts?

Jim
I had an 8" Tannoy sub and upgraded to an SB300. These seem to be very flexible subs and I personally have had no issue placing the BK exactly where the Tannoy was which is in the corner.

Steve, would your consider the PR to be a very noticeable upgrade from the P12-300SB-FF/DF? Also I know that this is off topic but would pairing any of the P12-300SB models with a XXLS400-FF be a bad idea or are they similar enough that they would work well together? Thanks.

Those delivery guys are just so STRONG!

I remember having an Optimum AV stand delivered - 5 shelves of 10 mm toughened glass in a HUGE padded box. The guy just wandered casually down the path carrying it like it was nothing and he wasn't even that big.

I couldn't even pick it up after he'd gone, I had to open the box and carry each shelf one at a time up to my flat and even that involved puffing and swearing!:blush:

If you've got anything from a small to regular sized viewing area the SB easily does the job and then some. If you wan't to go full on Council/Residential noise pollution order, then the SB can do that too.

Then it's basically up to you as to how much "Powa" (J.Clarkson, registered TM) you want when deciding on the more powerful subs like the Monolith. I'm talking about a standard UK flat/semi-detached/terraced property.

BK recommend the SB series for Home Cinema and the XXLS series with their "Peerless" drivers for Music/Home Cinema. That doesn't mean that the non XXLS series are not great for Music (as the reviews attest to), but that the XXLS series has that bit more control again.

Wasn't my point, no one independent of BK has had them side by side to give a subjective opinion, I've had a P12 for the last 18 months :)

Vs a P12-300SB-DF, would this be a worthwhile upgrade, or would it take a real audiophile to appreciate the difference?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom