Black bars

Even before my old man got dementia I had immense difficulty explaining to him why we had bars top and bottom on the TV. Gave up in the end, he could never grasp it. One of my mates always kicks off too because the picture "doesn't fill" his 65" TV.

Genuinely thought this thread though was going to be about a fault on a TV as I had a black bar running vertical once on a Sammy set. Was wondering if someone else had the same thing.

Some of you guys must be on a wind up on this thread :D

My mate has a 55'' LED and he always fills the frame, doesn't like the black bars. So he has fat people running around the screen in action sequences. Then he came to our house for a drink. Remember when people could visit you, them were the days!

Put Gladiator on for him and had him sit in the MLP chair so he had the full effect of the DTS:X soundtrack. I knew he had it on DVD but wanted to show him just how good it looked in 4K. Like being in the cinema he said not even noticing the black bars until I mentioned it. Perhaps it was the Speckled Hen that did the trick.

Some of you guys must be on a wind up on this thread :D

We've only been arguing this since the days of VHS and 4:3 TV's.

Give it time for people to work out the complications of Aspect Ratio, it's only been a few decades.

Why don't they then film it in such a way to have ugly black bars for cinema viewing too if that's the directors intension?

It is not the black bars it is the aspect ratio a director requires. A scope film is simply more cinematic and gives imo a better experience.

The fact a lot (but not all) cinema screens can move there masking means you don't see them.

Constant Image Height which is usually used in cinema means the screen curtains at the side open further to give a wider picture.

Your TV is simply not capable.

I don't know whether I've ever watched Star Wars in that way. What was it, a wide image on a square screen?

Anyway, reading the reply's to the original post it seems we're all in agreement, nobody like's the ugly black bars!!!

No that's not what I said black bars are a necessary evil. As others have said get a better TV were you don't notice them as much or go back to Pan & Scan :)

As for Star Wars, on my old Sony Trinitron 16" 4:3 which by my calc had a picture that was 12.8" wide and 9.6" high. There was a Pan and Scan version that filled the screen, but good luck fitting a star destroyer on that. Or there was the proper "widescreen" which was actually 2.35:1 and created an image only 5.4" high but fitted the star destroyer on screen. That's nearly 50% black bars ... :facepalm:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom