Black is King (Disney Plus) Movie Review & Comments

Of course it's art, but you're right art is subjective. I once spent an afternoon being dragged around the Tate Modern, and I could believe some of the rubbish on display.
Yeah, I have to agree with you there. I think the term art is thrown around a bit too loosely. Just like the 10/10 scores here 😅

This has nothing to do with common sense and respect going out of the window. Why can‘t someone be allowed to be critical of things without being told they have no common sense or respect?
As I said I think it is ridiculous that this receives such a high rating. 10/10 is the best there is. In my opinion giving this that score makes is insulting to alot of truly good pieces of content.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you here. If what a person is saying is offensive or rubbish, should we really be engaging with them?

As for the score that's entirely up to Kumari, it's her review.

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. I think the term art is thrown around a bit too loosely. Just like the 10/10 scores here 😅

You seem to have strong opinions about something it seems you haven't even watched?

Exactly - I just don’t understand complaining about a review score, by people who haven’t watched the film.

if you want to debate the score, atleast watch the content first. If it doesn’t interest you enough to do so, move along.

I'm not going to comment on another reviewer's writing style, but the first quote is clearly a play on the film's title
Fair enough. I also have no issue with the score as it is personal. Doesn't mean I wouldn't argue with it if this was content I was actually interested in though ;)
As for the second, given the current worldwide protests and Beyonce's general popularity, it seems like a reasonable statement to me.
Speaking from the side most affected by all of this, her statement really isn't reasonable at all. The world is crying out for justice, fairness and equality of opportunity. I'm not sure how a "visual album" by a pop princess (sorry queen) will help but I guess we will see.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you here. If what a person is saying is offensive or rubbish, should we really be engaging with them?

As for the score that's entirely up to Kumari, it's her review.
Who determines what is offensive or rubbish? Is me telling that I think that the score is ridiculous offensive or rubbish? I may hope not. If so then people are too easily offended. Plus I thought you said all opinions are valid, except those which might be offensive or rubbish in your eyes?

You seem to have strong opinions about something it seems you haven't even watched?
Why does it seem that way? Because I do not agree with the score?

This has nothing to do with common sense and respect going out of the window. Why can‘t someone be allowed to be critical of things without being told they have no common sense or respect?
As I said I think it is ridiculous that this receives such a high rating. 10/10 is the best there is. In my opinion giving this that score is insulting to alot of truly good pieces of content.
But again that's YOUR opinion isn't it...if the reviewer gives it the score of 10 then thats the opinion of the reviewer...just because you didn't think it deserves a 10 that doesn't mean other people won't think the same or agree with the score....I've seen plenty of films that have got a high score but haven't always agreed with the rating...but I don't take to social media and give grief about it!

But again that's YOUR opinion isn't it...if the reviewer gives it the score of 10 then thats the opinion of the reviewer...just because you didn't think it deserves a 10 that doesn't mean other people won't think the same or agree with the score....I've seen plenty of films that have got a high score but haven't always agreed with the rating...but I don't take to social media and give grief about it!

Yes it is. Am I not allowed to state my opinion then? Only when I agree with what is written in the review? I don't even use social media.
Edit. Unless you count the forum as social media.

Yes it is. Am I not allowed to state my opinion then? Only when I agree with what is written in the review? I don't even use social media.
Edit. Unless you count the forum as social media.
Yes you are entitled to an opinion but have you actually watched the content? And if you go on the Internet and get involved with conversation then yes its classed as "Social media"

Why does it seem that way? Because I do not agree with the score?

Not not liking something that you've seen is one thing.

Nothing you've written seems to show you've actually watched it?

Any yet you're the loudest voice in the room.
Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 14.15.35.png

Yes you are entitled to an opinion but have you actually watched the content? And if you go on the Internet and get involved with conversation then yes its classed as "Social media"
Couldn’t watch the whole thing. The music isn’t my thing, visuals looked great though.

Not not liking something that you've seen is one thing.

Nothing you've written seems to show you've actually watched it?

Any yet you're the loudest voice in the room. View attachment 1343946
You assume too quickly.

edit. Again what seems to show that i have not seen it? The fact that I don’t like it?

10/10 for a music video?

I imagine it helps if you like her style of music, and indeed watching music videos.. Personally I watch movies for a good story.

You assume too quickly.

Ok perhaps I misjudge...., as you disliked it so much which musical number did you find the worst?

Which one of the male characters gave the worst performance?

What was lacking in the cinematography.?

There are some contributors to this thread who have 100% made my day.

Couldn't agree more - and looks like I may have even missed the worst of it too. The fact the mods needed to lock a review thread because some people lost their shit over the reviewer's opinion is embarrassing.

Thanks for the review anyway @Kumari Tilakawardane I've added it to the list for when I get Disney+ back. I'm certainly going to take a look at it now!

Last edited:
Who determines what is offensive or rubbish? Is me telling that I think that the score is ridiculous offensive or rubbish? I may hope not. If so then people are too easily offended. Plus I thought you said all opinions are valid, except those which might be offensive or rubbish in your eyes?
Sorry, I wasn't referring to you or your comments about the score. But I do believe some of the other comments on this thread border on sexism and racism (and the same is true of the threads on many of Kumari's reviews), and I don't believe that's a coincidence nor do I think it's acceptable.

However, I do find it amusing that people are getting so worked about something they have no intention of watching.

Ok perhaps I misjudge...., as you disliked it so much which musical number did you find the worst?

Which one of the male characters gave the worst performance?

What was lacking in the cinematography.?
That‘s not what my comment was about. It was about the way the review was written, as well written as it may be. Plus the score of the piece.
I dont like any of the music, so hard to pick a winner there. As i said it looked visually stunning. Can’t honestly judge performance as I haven’t watched the entire thing.
Sorry, I wasn't referring to you or your comments about the score. But I do believe some of the other comments on this thread border on sexism and racism (and the same is true of the threads on many of Kumari's reviews), and I don't believe that's a coincidence nor do I think it's acceptable.

However, I do find it amusing that people are getting so worked about something they have no intention of watching.

Did not notice that. But that's not ok.
I do think these kind of "movies" do not help with the ongoing racism debate. That's part of why I get worked up about it, if you could call it that at all. I also think many people feel this stuff is forced upon them. Or at least the way it is presented to them.
But I'll no longer respond to this topic as I feel it is unwanted.
I wish those interested or the fans a fun experience, it's just not for me.

That‘s not what my comment was about. It was about the way the review was written, as well written as it may be. Plus the score of the piece.
I dont like any of the music, so hard to pick a winner there. As i said it looked visually stunning. Can’t honestly judge performance as I haven’t watched the entire thing.

So you haven't watched it

Within 18 minutes of the review going up, you jumped on the score of the reviewer for a film you haven't watched.

And you've continued to try and dominate the entire thread for a film you havent watched.

At bare minimum you're being a troll and your attitude smells of having an even worse agenda.

Last edited:
Steve - are you saying that Kumari, as the only Black female reviewer on the site, has received responses bordering on racism and sexism?

If this is the case, then it's deeply depressing and dispiriting and I fully support your decision to defend her. It also fully justifies her interpretation of film subtext and her use of language to describe her passion and enthusiasm.

I do think these kind of "movies" do not help with the ongoing racism debate. That's part of why I get worked up about it, if you could call it that at all. I also think many people feel this stuff is forced upon them. Or at least the way it is presented to them.

You say you're bowing out of this Thread, so I guess you won't answer this, but what do you propose instead? What would you do if you were a filmmaker presenting an alternative perspective or a previously suppressed voice?

It's like the late Bill Hicks when he talked about the film Fatal Attraction.
Satan let out a loaf and some cinema (Disney+) put up an awning and we're all getting blindsided by the chat over it. But at the end of the day it's a piece of shit. Art, feminist empowerment, black empowerment etc yadda yadda. Its neither of the above so stop, take a deep breath, think and reevaluate. Once you do all that you'll see the real truth. It's a piece of shit 🤣

Planet Earth II is the top rated TV Show on IMDB.

That has no real “plot”. But there are evidently many people still ascribing it a perfect, or near perfect, score. 9.5/10 average over 90,000+ user reviews.

Obviously this is not Planet Earth. But, in my view, it’s also beautiful, and at times, stunning to watch.

So in regard to some of the comments above, I think there’s plenty of precedent that a “visual album” is worthy of an excellent review score. The music, imagery, and message aside.

Planet Earth II is the top rated TV Show on IMDB.

That has no real “plot”. But there are evidently many people still ascribing it a perfect, or near perfect, score. 9.5/10 average over 90,000+ user reviews.

Obviously this is not Planet Earth. But, in my view, it’s also beautiful, and at times, stunning to watch.

So in regard to some of the comments above, I think there’s plenty of precedent that a “visual album” is worthy of an excellent review score. The music, imagery, and message aside.
Planet Earth has life for a plot.
Total fail comparing the two...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom